Monday, June 29, 2015

Joseph B. Alter.

Joseph B. Alter. 

Birth: Aug. 21, 1825, Mississippi...
Death: Feb. 17, 1910.

Wife: Julia B. Peterson Alter (1836 - 1900).

Children: Harry, William, Clara, James.

Burial: Oak Grove Cemetery, Le Roy, McLean County, Illinois.

According to official roster of the 75th OVI he mustered in on September 26, 1861 at age 36. He was appointed 1st Sgt from Sgt on January 20, 1863. Promoted to 1st Lt to date June 11, 1863. Wounded at the battle of Gettysburg, Pa. Promoted to Captain of Co. F on April 31, 1864. Captured August 17, 1864 at Gainesville, Fl. POW for 7 months at Camp Asylum, South Carolina.

Official Roster of the Soldiers of the State of Ohio in the War Of The Rebellion.

Ohio Seventy-Fifth, Infantry, Co. F.

Joseph B. Alter, Captain; Age 36; Enlisted September 26, 1861, for 3 years.  Promoted from First Lieutenant Co. A., April 13, 1864; Mustered out March 16, 1865.

Joseph B. Alter statement as a prisoner of war.

Push to enlarge.

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Samuel A. Sullivan

Samuel A. Sullivan.

Birth: Feb. 24, 1842, Berrien County, Michigan.
Death: Mar. 28, 1907, Dolliver, Emmet County, Iowa.

Parents: Thomas Sullivan (1795 - 1857), Rebecca Goble Sullivan (1809 - 1889).

Wife: Sarah Aurelia Adams Sullivan (1843 - 1907). Children: Charles Eugene Sullivan (1869 - 1920), Zoe Sullivan (1874 - 1880).

Siblings: Alexander A. Sullivan (1835 - 1896), Martha Jane Sullivan Roe (1838 - 1884), Samuel A. Sullivan (1842 - 1907), Joel Edwin Sullivan (1844 - 1905), Thomas W Sullivan (1850 - 1916).

Burial: Rock Grove Township Cemetery, Nora Springs, Floyd County, Iowa.

A US Postmaster in Dolliver, Iowa at the time of his death, this Civil War soldier's body was returned to the Rock Grove Cemetery so he could rest beside his wife Sarah, young daughter Zoa and his mother, Rebecca. Following his wife's death in 1902 he lived with his son, Charles, in Dolliver. War related injuries made it impossible for Samuel to continue life as a farmer. He had some of his land added to the village of Nora Springs where a street still carries his name and he operated a general store in the village.

Iowa Twenty-First Infantry, Co. A.
Iowa State Records.

Sullivan, Samuel. Age 19. Residence Floyd,.nativity Michigan. Enlisted Feb. 18, 1862. Mustered June 11, 1862. Mustered out June 10, 1865, Shreveport, La.

Samuel Sullivan Statement as Prisoner of War.
Push to enlarge.

Saturday, June 27, 2015

Wilkins Bloodgood

Wilkins Bloodgood.

Birth: 1840, Albany, Albany County, New York.
Death: 1862, Washington,  District of Columbia, District Of Columbia.

Parents: William Bloodgood (1801 - 1874), Caroline Frances Whistler Bloodgood (1810 - 1893).

Siblings: Edward Bloodgood (1831 - 1914), Wilkins Bloodgood (1840 - 1862), John Bloodgood (1847 - 1874), William Bloodgood (1852 - 1910)..

Burial: Nashotah House Cemetery, Summit Township, Waukesha County, Wisconsin.

Michigan First Infantry, Co. A.
Michigan State Records.

Bloodgood, Wilkins. Enlisted in company A, First Infantry, May 1, 1861, at Detroit, for 3 months, age 2o. Mustered May 1, 1861. Mustered out at Detroit, Aug. 7, 1861. Re-entered service as Second Lieutenant, company F, First Infantry. Commissioned Aug. 17, 1861. Commissioned First Lieutenant and Adjutant May 5, 1862. Reported as First Lieutenant, company F, July, 1862. Commissioned Captain, company K, June 27, 1862. Died at Cliffbourne Hospital, Washington, D. C, Sept. 23, 1862, from wounds received in action at Bull Run, Va., Aug. 30, 1862.

Alexander H. Spierre.

Push to enlarge.
New York Sixteenth Heavy Artillery.
New York State Records.

SPIERRE, ALEXANDER H., Age, 26 years. Enrolled, January19, 1864, at Elmira; mustered in as second lieutenant, Co. F, January 19, .1864, to serve three years; as first lieutenant, March 4, 1864; appointed A. A. D. C. on staff of Generals Hawley and J. C. Abbott, December 21, 1864; relieved, March 4, 1865; mustered out with company, August 21, 1865, at Washington, D. C; three months, prior service in Eighth Xew York State Militia; commissioned second lieutenant, February 2,*1864, with rank from January 4, 1864, original; first lieutenant, May 23, 1864, with rank from March 4, 1864, vice B. Gardner, resigned.
Author.  I was unable to find any personal Information on him.

Friday, June 26, 2015

Henry L. & Herbert E. Larrabee.

Left Henry, right Herbert.
Push to enlarge.

Henry L. & Herbert E. Larrabee, father was Benjamin Larrabee, His first wife was Sally, his second wife was Maria.  Their Children was as following; George B., David A, Mary A., Caroline P., Herbert E., Henry L., Benjamin F., Larrabee. 

Henry L. Larrabee.

Birth: 1840.
Death: December 8, 1904.

Wife: Arabella "Curtis" Larrabee.
Married June 3, 1866.

Children: Nettie Maria Larrabee.

Burial, Massachusetts.

Herbert E. Larrabee.

Birth: 1837.
Death: 1895.

Wife: Sarah E. Larrabee.

Children: Frederick M. Larrabee.

Burial: Massachusetts.

Massachusetts Seventeenth Infantry, Co. B.
State Records.

Henry Luther Larrabee, Private, Residence South Danvers;  Occupation Shoemaker; Ag3 21; Enlisted July 10, 1861; Mustered in July 22, 1861; Mustered out August 3, 1864.

Herbert E. Larrabee; First Sergeant; Residence South Danvers; Occupation Morocco Dresser; Age 24; Enlisted May 10, 1861; Mustered in July 22, 1861; Discharged for disability, April 5, 1863, at Newbern North Carolina.

Morocco Dresser.

The person in this trade was some sort of a shoemaker or dealt with leather. 
"Morocco" was a type of goat skin leather that was much lighter in weight than what those of the days had been wearing.The "dresser" was the person who actually tanned or softened the leather.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Maj Ferdinand F. Boltz.

Ferdinand & Wife, Push to enlarge.
Maj Ferdinand F. Boltz. 

Birth: 1840, Germany.
Death: Jun. 4, 1926.

Wife: Cornelia A. "Siddie" Sowers Boltz (1841 - 1915).
Married September 4, 1864, Allen County.

Children; Non found.

Burial: Lindenwood Cemetery, Fort Wayne, Allen County, Indiana

Indiana 12th., Infantry, Field & Staff.
One year, Service.

Ferdinand F. Boltz, Sergeant Major;  Residence Fort Wayne Enlisted on 5/15/1861 as a Sergt Major, On 5/15/1861 he mustered into Field & Staff. He was Mustered Out on 5/19/1862

Indiana 88th., Infantry, Co. F
State Records.

Ferdinand F. Boltz, Captain; Residence Fort Wayne; Commission September 22, 1863; Mustered in February 9, 1864; Mustered out with Regiment.

Indiana 88th., Infantry, Co. F.. 

( History of Allen County.)
Publish date, 1880.

On the 20th of January, 1865, the Eighty-eighth loll Savannah, moving up the Georgia side of the Savannah River, by way of Springfield, and crossed the river with great difficulty, owing to the "bottom" being three miles in width. The command then moved on in a northerly direction, destroying railroads and everything that could be of advantage to the enemy, and reached Lverysboro N. C, on the 16th of March, and was engaged in the battle near that' place.' From there it moved on, and on the 19th, while marching in advance of its corps, encountered the enemy in a strong position near Bentonville. Capt. Fred F. Boltz, with a part of the regiment, was ordered to reconnoiter the position of the enemy and report;  it not being supposed possible that there was any force of the enemy in that vicinity fro amount to anything. The duty was promptly and faith- fully performed, and while troops were being placed in position, an overwhelming attack was made upon the Captain's command. The rest of the regiment, and a few other troops that happened to be at hand, were sent to his support and they held the enemy in check until the rest of its corps (the Fourteenth) could reach supporting distance. That was the last engagement in which the regiment took part, and it was one of the most severe. 

Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Herman Werner, Wisconsin.

Herman Werner, he was born in Gross Carbetha, Saxony, Prussia, March 22, 1839, and his parents, Godfried and Maria Rosina (Ziemer) were natives of the same place in " Der Faderland." The family, including himself, father and mother and three sisters, came to America in 1856 and they located at Maple Grove, Wis. A brother, Charles, is a resident of Paris, France, where he was married previous to the removal of his father to America. Amelia married Christian Horn in Briilion in 1857; her children are named Henry, Herman and Carolina. Hannah Rosina was married in 1857 to Hugo Jugeland she is the mother of 12 children. Carolina Sophia married C. Schoeffler of Chicago and has two children.

Sept. 21, 1861, Mr. Werner enlisted in Company B, 9th Wisconsin Infantry, at Manitowoc, Wis for three years and received honorable discharge at Milwaukee, December 1864, his term of enlistment having expired. The "9t.h" is known to the history as the German regiment of Wisconsin and, from Milwaukee, the command went to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas. They marched 160 miles to Fort Scott and, in June, went to Baxter's Springs. Many skirmishes took place and, in July, the command went to Flat Rock Creek. Later, it did heavy marching in Missouri and, on the organization of the "Army of the Inoutier", the 9th was placed in the command of General Blunt.  Newfonia was the first battle in which Mr. Werner took part, although he was involved in considerable skirmishing.

He did an immense amount of marching in Arkansas, chasing rebels who evaded battle and, later, he was occupied in guarding trains. He marched to Prairie Grove and back to Rheas' Mills and, afterwards, to Van Buren, returning to the Mills. In patrol, picket guard, forage and march, a large amount of time was passed and, in 1864, the regiment was attached to the Red River expedition. April 2nd,. Mr. Werner was in heavy skirmishing with rebels, fighting Marmaduke's band near the junction of the Washington and Camden road.

The expedition proving a failure before the 9th made connection, the regiment returned to Little Rock. On tlje route, the battle of Jenkin's Ferry occurred, in which the "9th" won its honors. Afterwards Company B was engaged in the construction of forts at Little Rock. On the 3rd of December, Mr. Werner was mustered out at Milwaukee and returned to Wisconsin.

After the war, he went to Maple Grove and has since engaged in farming with success, such as industry, thrift and integrity secure to those who put these traits into ftractical operation. In 1865, Mr. Werner was married to Anna Hieckey and they have 10 children as follows : Mary Ann, Charles Frederick, Daniel Godfried, Herman, John, Henry, William, Dennis, Robert and Phillip. Joseph died when a few- weeks old.

AuthorDeath: November 26, 1909.

Height: 5'4 ". Eye Color: blue. Hair Color: light.

Burial: Brillion Community Cemetery (Old Section), Calumet County, Wisconsin.

Tuesday, June 23, 2015

William F Bower or Bowers.

Push to enlarge.
William F Bower 

Author. Some records say it was Bower others say Bowers.

Birth: Apr. 6, 1840.
Death: Jun. 12, 1897.

Wife: Rachel A. Swisher Bowers,
(( 1844-1924.).

Children: Nora A. Bowers Williamson, ( 1862-1942. )

Burial: Maple Grove Cemetery, Findlay, Hancock County, Ohio.

He was a Civil War Veteran.

Ohio Twenty-First, Ohio Infantry, Co. B.

William F. Bower, Private; Age 22; Enlisted September 1, 1862, for 3 years.  Mustered out June 5, 1865, by order of the War Department.