Monday, August 17, 2009

Kansas Indian Home Guards.

Here are some reports on a very proud group of men they were the Regiments of the Indian Home Guards of Kansas. There are many reports on these regiments to many to put them all here. Although the Indian Home Guards were based In Kansas they would fight in Arkansas, Missouri and Kansas.

After reading the reports there will be a list of the men of the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, regiments.
This list of men are of office only. However for you Native Americans I have the list for all the Native Americans of these regiments, so if you had a ancestor that was in one of these regiments or you think he may have been, I will gladly take a look. Please give his Native American name and his American name, as he may be under both, but the list are mostly of Native American names . The first regiment had 3,275, men. The second had 2,627 and the third had 2,102 men.

If you see a name of interest you can write and I will look him up, my address can be found in my profile.

Report of Colonel William A. Philips, Third Indian Home Guard, commanding brigade.

Camp Curtis, January 15, 1863.

GENERAL: I have just this moment hear from my commissary, Captain Heath. I start an escort toward Fayetteville to meet him. We have had 4 inches of snow.

Quite a spirited little affair occurred between a detachment of my command, under Captain Henry S. Anderson, of the Third Indian Regiment, and a force of some 200 rebels, or bushwhackers, under Colonel Livingston and Captains Timon and Fry Smith. It took place 12 miles south of this, and was very well managed, our force moving on them in three separate columns, and, when the enemy broke they ran from the first into the second, and finally into the third. Not less than 25 or 30 rebels must have been killed or disabled. Captain Smith (formerly of Jasper County, Missouri) was killed by Lieutenant Benjamin Whitlow, and 7 others were killed on the spot of the attack. The enemy was pursued until his broken fragments were lost in the woods.

1. William A. Philips, Major, Colonel, Third Indian Home Guard, Commissioned July 11, 1862.

2. Henry S. Anderson, Captain, Third Kansas Indian Home Guard, Commissioned November 15, 1862.

3. Benjamin Whitlow, 1st Lieutenant, Third Kansas Indian Home Guard, Commissioned July 11, 1862.

Numbers 5. Report of Major John A. Foreman, Third Indian Home Guard.
CABIN CREEK, September 20, 1864.

SIR: I have the honor to make the following report:

The train has been captured on the 19th instant, one- half burned and the balance carried away. The destruction is complete. Colonel Williams, with his brigade, came upon them at Pryor's Creek, and after an artillery duel, the enemy retreated southwest. They crossed the Arkansas River, strewing the road with quartermaster and commissary stores. On reaching this point I found Doctor A. J. Ritchie at his post, and only for his remaining the wounded would have been murdered and the hospital sacked, all of which has been saved by his prompt and efficient conduct. I will finish burying the dead to- morrow, and collect such Government property that I find scattered, of which I will report to- morrow. I will move on the 22nd to the Neosho Crossing. There I will await orders, expecting such from Fort Scott, to escorting the next train down.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

1. John A. Foreman, Major, Third Kansas Indian Home Guard commissioned July 11, 1862.

2. A. J. Ritchie, Surgeon, Second Kansas Indian Home Guard, From civil life.

Fort Blunt, C. N., May 15, 1863.

Lieutenant Maxwell Phillips, who recently came down with a detachment of stragglers from the Creek regiment up at Fort Scott, had a fight at Cabin Creek with Livingston's men. After an hour's fight, he routed them, killing 3 and wounding several.

Numbers 1. Report of Captain Maxwell Phillips, Third Indian Home Guard (Kansas) Infantry. FORT GIBSON, C. N., March 30, 1865.

SIR: I have the honor to report that, in obedience to orders from the commanding officer Third Brigade, Third Division, Seventh Army Corps, on the 18th day of March, 1865, I took command of a detachment consisting of four companies of the First Indian Regiment and two companies of the Third Regiment, in all 324 men, and proceeded southwest in the direction of We-wo-ka. At Deep Fork, fifty miles from Fort Gibson, I found the stream too much swollen by recent rains to be fordable. A mounted scout of the enemy was on the opposite bank when I reached it.

They immediately retreated. I ordered four mounted scouts to swim over and scout the country in front, and proceeded to construct a raft to cross my command on. Three of the scouts ordered over crossed, and found that the enemy had consisted of fifteenth or twenty men, and that they had retreated and scattered. Henry Parris (scout) behaved in a cowardly manner, refusing to cross when ordered to, and did not cross till after I have crossed with a portion of my Infantry. I crossed my command over Deep Fork partly on a raft, partly on driftwood, and partly by swimming, and continuing in a southwesterly direction, crossed North Fork, which I found quiet low, and arrived at We-wo-ka, eighty-five miles southwest of Fort Gibson, on the 24th instant. From We-wo-ka I sent scouts to Little River Town, twenty-five miles southwest, and to Hillabee, twenty miles east, and to Canadian River, twenty miles southeast.

The scouts returned and reported no enemy, but the evidence that parties had been into both Little River and Hillabee about a week previous, and that they had driven large herds of cattle in a southwesterly direction. The scouts from Little River reported that the iron bridge across Little River was broke down, and that the greater portion of the wrought-iron rods and bars were taken away. Finding no enemy, I returned and reached Fort Gibson on the 30th instant. I found considerable quantities of cattle on the route, especially between Deep Fork and North Fork. There are no citizens now living in that part of the country. I was unable to find any grain. The mounted scouts under Mr. Davis were altogether unacquainted with that country. With the parties sent to Little River and Hillabee I mounted Indians on transportation mules for guides. My transportation consisted of fifteen pack-mules. I find pack-mules considerably superior to wagons for a command without artillery marching through that country, as they can pass over mountain roads and narrow passes impassable for wagons, and travel faster,

I am, respectfully, your obedient servant,
Captain, Third Indian Regiment, Commanding Detachment.

1. Maxwell Phillips, captain, Third Kansas Indian Home Guard, commissioned May 28, 1863.

DECEMBER 18, 1863.- Skirmish near Sheldon's Place, Barren Fort, Ind. T.

Report of Captain Alexander C. Spillman, Third Indian Home Guards.

December 23, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to report that, in compliance with your instruction, I marched from Fort Gibson at 3.30 p. m., December 17, with a force of about 290 infantry, consisting of details from the First, Second, and Third Indian Regiments, and one howitzer. I took the Park Hill road, and, passing that place, went into camp at the crossing of the Illinois, at midnight. By inquiry at Park Hill, I learned that Colonel S. Watie's force, variously estimated at from 500 to 800 men, after plundering Murrel's house and burning the negro cabins at Chief Ross' place, had moved during the afternoon toward the Illinois River, stating their intention to camp in the Illinois bottom that night. Morning came, and I was still ignorant of the exact whereabouts of the rebels, though satisfied that their camp was not far distant.

I moved out of camp between 7 and 8 o'clock in the morning, taking the road leading up the Barren Fork. During the morning two small parties of rebels, one of 10 and another of 5 men, approached our column, mistaking us for their own men. They were fired upon, and 1 was killed; but not having mounted men to pursue them, the remainder escaped. I now became satisfied that we were in close proximity to the rebel force. The road lay first on one and then on the other side of Barren Fork, the valley of which was narrow, and covered with thick timber and underbrush, and walled in on either side by precipitous hills. About three-quarters of a mile beyond Sheldon's place the advance guard reported the enemy in force just ahead. I proceeded to the front, and discerned, through the thick undergrowth of brush, their line, formed in a heavily timbered ravine, of dismounted men, the right resting upon the road, and the left reaching up the ravine into the hill on the right of the road. I immediately brought forward the howitzer, supported by 95 men of the First Indian Regiment, under command of Captain Willetts, placed it in position on the right of the road, and deployed the Cherokees, under command of Lieutenant Luke F. Parsons, Third Indian Regiment, still farther to the right, between the gun and the foot of the hill.

These preparations were not completed when the enemy opened on us a heavy fire from small-arms. This was replied to by our men with promptness and spirit. As soon as the howitzer opened upon the rebels, their line was completely broken, and they retreated in some confusion up the ravine, to the top of the hill. The Cherokees, under command of Lieutenant Parsons, followed them, and drove them about a quarter of a mile beyond the crest of the hill, where they again formed, and were a second line routed by our men. The road a quarter of a mile to take a better position, where there was higher ground and several log buildings, for the protection of our infantry.

We had no sooner taken this position than the rebels, rallying, renewed the attack. A few discharges of canister and shell from the howitzer drove them out of the valley, and they took possession of the adjoining hill, which was heavily timbered. Sheltering themselves here behind threes and rocks, the rebels opened a fire at long range upon our men, who replied from the cover of the log-houses. The fighting here lasted for more than two hours, without any decided advantage to either party. I saw that to drive the enemy from the crest of the hill by a charge would be difficult and hazardous. I also knew that if they came over the hill into the valley to fight, we had decidedly the advantage of them. Thinking to draw them out, I ordered the command forward on the road, as if to abandon the position. It had the desired effect.

The enemy supposing, doubtless, that we were retreating, came over the hill, all dismounted, and in larger numbers than they had before shown themselves, and advanced toward the houses we were leaving. Our men were immediately rallied, and returned to their former position on the double-quick. The howitzer was quickly brought up, and opened fire upon the advancing enemy, who withstood the shock but one moment, and then turned and fled. Our men pursued them, driving them over the hill and did not again make the least attempt to rally. Our casualties during the engagement were comparatively light. I regret that I must record the loss of Captain Willetts, First Indian Regiment, who fell, mortally wounded, while gallantry leading his men in the early part of the engagement; Private Arch Benner, Company H, Third Indian Regiment, and ---, Company F, First Indian Regiment, received severe, but, it is thought, not fatal, wounds. Two of the howitzer horses were wounded, one so badly that it had to be abandoned on the road; also 2 mules, belonging to the six-mule team, were wounded, one of which had to be abandoned.

I am not prepared to state with accuracy the loss of the rebels. From their own admission, and the statement of parties who visited the field after the engagement, I should estimate their loss to be not less than 12 killed and 25 wounded, besides a large number of horses killed and disabled.

The conduct of our officers and men during the engagement was in the highest degree commendable. In particular I must be allowed to acknowledge the valuable services of Lieutenant Parsons, Company E, Third Indian Regiment, whose fearless demeanor and spirited conduct animated and encouraged our men, and tended greatly to secure our success. Lieutenant [William] Roberts, First Indian, upon whom the command of the First Indian devolved after Captain Willets was wounded; Captains [B.] Gritts and Ahleechar, Second Indian, and lieutenant [I.] Turner, Third Indian, all did their duty bravely and well.

The gun detail, belonging to Company L, Third Indian, under command of Sergeant Hendricks, are also entitled to credit for the coolness and skill they displayed.

As my instructions were to proceed with all possible dispatch to re-enforce Major Foreman, at Rhea's Mill, I resumed the march as soon as satisfied that the enemy had no intention of returning.

Surgeon [A. J.] Ritchie, Second Indian Regiment, who was in attendance upon the wounded, deemed it advisable to leave them at Roach's house, 4 miles from the scene of the engagement, which was accordingly done. I went into camp at Duncan's place about sundown, having accomplished a march of about 18 miles. The next morning we were again in motion at daylight, and, without further hinderance or incident worthy of note, joined Major Foreman, at Rhea's Mills, that evening.

In confusion, I must be allowed to compliment the soldiers of my command upon their constancy and endurance in accomplishing, without murmur or complaint, this difficult march, in weather at times bitterly cold, and all the while scantily supplied with food.
I am, colonel, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

1. Alexander C. Spillman, Captain Third Indian Home Guards, commissioned November 4, 1862.

2. Arch Benner, private Third Kansas Indian Home Guards Company H. No info found.

3.Luke F. Parsons, 1st Lieutenant, Third Kansas Indian Home Guards, Company E.,
commissioned July 11, 1862.

4. A. J. Ritchie, Surgeon, Second Kansas Indian Home Guards, From civil life

5. William Roberts, 1st Lieutenant, First Kansas Indian Home Guards, commissioned July 1, 1863.

Found no info on the following names; Captains [B.] Gritts and Ahleechar, Second Indian, and lieutenant [I.] Turner, Third Indian nor Sergeant Hendricks of the third.


1. Major William A. Phillips.
2. Major James A. Phillips.
3. 1st Lieut. and Adjt., J. H. Gillpatrick
4. 1st Lieut and R. Q. M., S. S. Prouty.
5. 1st Lieut and R. Q. M., John T. Cox.
6. 1st Lieut. and Adj., Joh Chess.
7. 1st Lieutenant, Alfred F. Bicking.
8. 1st Lieutenant, Ferdinand R. Jacobs.
9. 1st Lieutenant, Robert T. Thompson.
10. 1st Lieutenant, Francis J. Fox.
11. 1st Lieutenant, Albert Flanders.
12. 1st Lieutenant, Benj. F. Ayers.
13. 1st Lieutenant, Milford J. Burlingame.
14. 1st Lieutenant, Frederick Crafts.
16. 1st Lieutenant, Eli C. Lowe.
17. 1st Lieutenant, William Roberts.
18. 1st Lieutenant, John D. Young.


1. Colonel, John Ritchie.
2. Lieutenant Colonel, Fred. W. Schaurte.
3. 1st Lieut. and Adjt., E. W. Robinson.
4. 1st Lieut. and Adjt., John C. Palmer.
5. 1st Lieut. and R. Q. M., George Huston.
6. Surgeon, A. J. Ritchie.
7. Assistant Surgeon, M. A. Campdorus.
8. Captain, James H. Bruce.
9. Captain, Joel Moodey.
10. 1st Lieutenant, Charles Lenhart.
11. 1st Lieutenant, John M. Hunter.
12. 1st Lieutenant, James H. Bruce.
13. 1st Lieutenant, William H. Kendall.
14. 1st Lieutenant, John Moffit.
15. 1st Lieutenant, E. P. Gillpatrick.
16. 1st Lieutenant, A. J. Waterhouse.
17. 1st Lieutenant, Silas Hunter.
18. 1st Lieutenant, David A. Painter.
19. 1st Lieutenant, ?? Scott.


1. Colonel, Wm. A. Phillips.
2. Major, John A. Foreman.
3. 1st Lieut. and Adjt., William Gallaher.
4. 1st Lieut. and R. Q. M., Alfred Larzelere.
5. Captain, A. C. Spillman.
6. Captain, Henry S. Anderson.
7. Captain, Maxwell Phillips.
8. Captain, Solomon Kaufman.
9. 1st Lieutenant, Luke F. Parsons.
10. 1st Lieutenant, John S. Hanway.
11. 1st Lieutenant, Andrew W. Robb.
12. 1st Lieutenant, Harmon Scott.
13. 1st Lieutenant, Benjamin Whitlow.
14. 1st Lieutenant, Charles Brown.
15. 2nd Lieutenant, William McCulloch.
16. 2nd Lieutenant, Basil G. Nc/crea.
17. 2nd Lieutenant, Jule C. Cayitt.


Gracelynn said...

Hey, I just found this looking for information on my own family tree. I'm a direct descendant of Maxwell Phillips, he was my great-great grandfather. It's great to know that he's remembered somewhere outside of the family gossip. Thanks for your work!

Phylly said...

Would love to know anything more about Cpt. Joel Moody. He is my 3rd Grt G-Paw. He shows to be in the 2nd Regt. We have his Union Enlistment Records, and would love to know more!

Dennis Segelquist said...

Its very hard to find anything oh the Indian regiments, but did find this on Joel Moody.

In the Field, September 13, 1862.

II. Colonel Ritchie, Second Indian Regiment, will immediately on receipt of this order release from arrest and restore to duty First Lieutenant Joel Moody, Company H, Second Regiment Indian Home Guards.

BELMONT, KANS., August 22, 1864.

* * * *

On my way home I stopped at Ohio City, Kans. There I had a talk with Major Elder. I saw a herd of cattle, Indian stock. He gave $4,000 for them. He acknowledged they were stolen and deprecated the act. The party he purchased from gave him a copy of the permit from Colonel Coffin, which authorized them to get stock. Elder would not show me the copy of Coffin's pass, nor tell the name or names of the parties of whom he purchased. He said he took the precaution to get the copy of secure his title should be cattle be seized by any authority.



Dennis Segelquist said...
This comment has been removed by the author.