Friday, March 26, 2010

Haywood Dickey Of Tennessee-Calfornia.

HEADQUARTERS,
Fort Yuma, February 4, 1862.
Lieutenant Colonel J. R. WEST,
First California Volunteer Infantry,
Commanding Southern District, New San Pedro, Cal.:


COLONEL: I have the honor to report to you that from information received here I had reason to suppose that parties disloyal to the Government would attempt to cross the Colorado River somewhere in this vicinity on the 28th of January. I had information of one more being in the neighborhood of the Algodones. The information was given me by an Indian. On the 31st of January I sent First Lieutenant Hargrave to look for him. He found him near Pilot Knob and arrested him. His name is Haywood Dickey, formerly a deputy sheriff of San Joaquin County, Cal. After examining him and taking his statement I concluded to detain him. A copy of his statement I in close to the district commander for his disposition (se Appendix A). Also respectfully ask for instructions in refernece to him. I also in close copy of oath administered to him (see Appendix B), and statement of Indian (see Appendix C).
Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
EDWIN A. RIGG,
Major First California Volunteer Infantry, Commanding Post.
---------------------------------

Statement A.

Statement of Haywood Dickey.
FORT YUMA, January 31, 1862.

My name is Haywood Dickey. I was born in Tennessee (Knox County), a few miles below Knoxville. Left Tennessee on the 21st day of April, 1850, for California. Arrived in San Francisco on the 20th dya of August, 1850. Since that time lived principally in Stockton. My biness has been teaming, and for some years was deputy sheriff of San Joaquin County, under John O'Neil. I had been so nearly the time specified. John O'Neil went out of office on the 1st of October, 1861. I then left Stockton to go to Texas by way of Los Angeles and Fort Yuma. At the Monte, near Los Angeles, I heard of the arrest of the Showalter party and changed my notions. I then started for San Diego. I then concluded to go to the mines, forty from San Diego, across the line into Lower California.

From there I went to see Governor Moreno for the purpose of procuring provisions. He had none, or had none to spare. I struck across from there to Indian Well, on the desert. An Indian guide (Yuma) came with me. The Govenror gave me some flour, perhaps five pounds. I arrived at the camp of the Yumas on the 27th. I came on horseback that far, and left my horse with the Indians (an Indian called Antonio). From there I went to Yager's hay camp, and was employed by him or his foreman. The only reason why I stopped was sthat I knew I could not get rhough. I intend to go home as soon as I can. I saw one of the Showalter party that you did not get. I saw some of them at San Diego. The names of them I do not know, although I had some convesation with them. I know personally Showalter, King, Wilson, Woods, Benbrook, Sands, Roberts, Ward, Woods (both of the men by the name of Woods), Sampson, Rogers, Edwards, Lawrence, Rogers (both of the Rogers), Crowell, Turner, Sumner, Chum, and I would have started within two days to overtake them if I had not been taken ill.

I left Stockton with a man by the name of Wiliam Hollannow here, Jim Moss and Hopkins, James and Henry, and two of the Ayers, Jim Dunlap, and three others whose names I have forgotten. My sympathies are with the South sure, and if I am compelled to fight I will take that side. I do not think that the Government can stand divided. I am twenty-eight years old on the 9th day of March, 1862. I do not think that the State that I was born in had any right to secede, or rather, I do not know whtehr the State had or had not, but my sympathies are for the South. My opinion is that a portion of Showalter's party intended to go on to join the Confederate Army. Ward told me that he did not intend to go farther than Van Dorn, in Arizona or New Mexico. I am willing to take the oath of allegiance.
HAYWOOD DICKEY.
----------------------------------------

Statement B.

Copy of oath administered to Haywood Dickey, at Fort Yuma, January 31, 1862.

I, Haywood Dickey, do solemnly swear that I will support, protect, and defend the Constitution and Government of the United States against all enemies, whether domestic or foreign; and that I will bear true faith, allegiance, and loyalty to the same, any ordinance, resolution, or law of any State convention or legislature to the contrary notwithstanding. And further, that I do this with a full determination, pledge, and purpose, without any mental reservation or evasion whatever; so help me God.
HAYWOOD DICKEY.

Statement C.

FORT YUMA, January 30, 1862.


Marto La Cruz was born at the Algodones, on the Colorado River. My father was a white man; what nation I do not know. Was taken prisoner by the Cocopahs and sold to an Englishman by the name of William Hardy, who took me to Lower California (La Paz), where I lived eighteen years. I am now twenty-five years old. Mr. Hardy died two years ago, after which I returned to my people (the Yumas), where I have resided ever since. The Governor of Lower California (Moreno) sent for me three months ago. He gave me papers authorizing me to have bad white men, Texans principally, from crossing the Colorado River, and to advise him of any parties crossing into Lower California; that they stole his animals.

He gave me papers to the head chiefs of the Cocopahs and Yumas, and told me that good men would go to tthe ferry at Fort Yuma to cross, but bad men would want to cross below there. I met a man who told me that he had friends taken to Fort Yuma; that he was from Texas, and that he wanted to fight to get even. The Governor of California told me to bring him to the ferry at Fort Yuma; that if he was a good man he could cross there, and if he was not that he should not cross anywhere. I gave the man my papers, to keep them dry, but he said he lost them and could not get them back. His horse gave out, and he heard of a party of Mr. Yager cutting hay near Pilot Knob. He left his horse with the Indians and he went to the hay party, and I came to the fort to report it.

No comments: