Monday, March 15, 2010

They served their country.

All these men fought in a war of some kind. There is a lot more information on these names. If you see a name of interest and would like to know more about them, you can write me and I will be glad to send it to you, my address can be found in my profile. Please state the title of this page when asking for information, or I may not be able to help you.

Francis Marion Abbott.

Francis Marion Abbott, in 1863 he answered the call of his country for defenders of the flag during the Civil war, and enlisted in Company K, One Hundred Eighteenth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry. When his first term of service expired he veteranized in Company F, One Hundred Fifty-third Regiment Indiana Volunteer Infantry, the greater part of his service being in Eastern Tennessee. After his first enlistment he was mustered out of the service at Indianapolis, Indiana, and at the close of the war was mustered out and honorably discharged at Louisville, Kentucky.

James L. Abernathy.

Mr. Abernathy had taken a strong attitude against the pro-slavery factions and had voted for Abraham Lincoln. It is believed that be recruited the second Kansas company for the war and later he was commissioned captain of Company K Eighth

Francis Marion Abbott, Captain 8th. Kansas Infantry, company A., & Field staff, enlisted in August 28, 1861, home Leavenworth.

Alfred Alexander.

Alfred Alexander, enlisted in the Seventeenth Kansas Infantry and went through all the war as a fighting soldier of the Union. He participated in a number of campaigns, including that to repel Price's army in 1864.

The Seventeenth was for a short time employed in garrison duty at Fort Leavenworth, but was soon divided, detachments being ordered to Fort Riley, Cottonwood Falls and Lawrence. In September, the battalion was ordered to Paola, Lieut. Col. Drake being placed in command of the post. The subsequent movements of the battalion were in connection with the invasion of Gen. Price in October, 1864.

Hollis Herbert Allen.

He had enlisted February 25, 1865, in Company D of the One Hundred and Eighty-ninth Ohio Infantry, and was in the army until mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, September 28, 1865.

Amos J. Anderson.

Amos J. Anderson, enlisted in 1862 for service in the Union army. He spent three years three months in Company E of the Ninth Iowa Cavalry, and fought until the close of hostilities. His principal service was up and down the Mississippi River and in the State of Arkansas, and he waged many fights against the guerrillas and border ruffians of the period. He was also with the Federal armies that pushed back Price's raid through Missouri and Kansas.

William G. Anderson.

William G. Anderson, in 1862 he enlisted as a private in Company G of the One Hundred and Thirteenth Illinois Infantry and was soon promoted to corporal. On November 6, 1862, the regiment was ordered to Memphis, Tennessee, to join General Sherman. It took part in the movement known as the Tallahatchie expedition, was in the battles of Chickasaw Bluffs and was then sent to Arkansas Post. The regiment arrived in the rear of Vicksburg in May, 1863, and participated in the assault of the 19th and 22d of that month. During this attempt to take Vicksburg from the rear Mr. Anderson was seriously wounded in the right shoulder, was totally disabled by his wound, and was given his honorable discharge at St. Louis December 1, 1863.

Andrew J. Anderson.

Andrew J. Anderson, went out from Kansas in 1862 as a private soldier in Company C of the Eleventh Kansas Infantry and served three years until the close of the war. Most of his service was west of the Mississippi, and he participated in the battle of Perry's Grove and in the campaign which drove Price out of Missouri.

Andrew J. Anderson, Private, 11th., Kansas Infantry, Company C., enlisted in Aug. 22, 1862, mustered in Sept. 10, 1962, home Emporia. Mustered out with company August 7, 1865.

Daniel Read Anthony.

At the outbreak of the war Colonel Anthony entered the Union army as lieutenant colonel of the First Kansas Cavalry, which subsequently became the Seventh Kansas Regiment. At the battle of the Little Blue in November, 1861, he led his forces to a victory over four times the number of guerrillas. He spent the year 1862 on duty in Tennessee, Kentucky, Mississippi and Alabama, and in June of that year while in command of Mitchell's Brigade in Tennessee he issued the noted Order No. 26, which prohibited southern men passing through the Union lines to search for fugitive slaves. General Mitchell requested the countermand of the order, and when Colonel Anthony refused he was placed under arrest. The incident finally reached the attention of the United States Senate, and after investigation General Halleck issued an order restoring General Anthony to duty. About that time he resigned his commission in the army and returned to Leavenworth, but Colonel Anthony's order No. 26 became the policy of the commanders of the northern armies, antedating as it did President Lincoln's proclamation of emancipation.

William Anthony.

William Anthony, When a mere boy he ran away from home and enlisted in the Union army in Company A of the Sixty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He saw three years of regular service and then re-enlisted and veteranized at Huntsville, Alabama. He was finally mustered out of the service of the United States Government at Louisville, Kentucky, on July 13, 1865, as a corporal. He participated in all the campaigns, battles and marches of his command, and made a splendid record as a soldier.

Frederick W. Apt.

Frederick W. Apt, In 1861 enlisted for service in the Union army, but in a short time was discharged. In 1863 he removed to Indiana and soon afterward again enlisted, this time in the Eighty-seventh Indiana Infantry. He remained in the service until the close of the war, and suffered such hardships and exposure that he was taken seriously ill before being brought home.

Walter J. Arnold.

Walter J. Arnold, in 1898 joined the Twentieth Kansas Volunteers for service in the Philippines. With his regiment he went to the Islands, where he subsequently saw much active service with this famous organization, returning with an excellent record after two years. His company had particularly thrilling experiences during the Filipino uprising, on the 4th, 5th and 6th of February, 1899, and was in the very important engagement of Caloocan, February 10th. The regiment of which Mr. Arnold was a member was active in repelling assaults during this time, and subsequently was sent on a four months' campaign in pursuit of the insurrectionists northward through the province of Luzon and going as far as San Fernandos, where Mr. Arnold was stricken with malarial fever. His general officer in this campaign was Col. Fred Funston, but on several occasions he was detailed to General Bell, who was chief of scouts.

Maurice or Morris D. Bailey.

He went by both names in the service.

M. D. Bailey, At the outbreak of the war joined Company A of the Eleventh Pennsylvania Cavalry, and most of his service was in the Army of the Potomac. It was his rare privilege, while stationed in the vicinity of Hampton Roads, to witness the epoch-making naval battle between the Confederate ironclad Merrimac and the marvelous invention of Ericson, the gunboat Monitor. Record is in error he was in company F., and not Co. A..

Maurice D. Bailey, Sergeant, 11th. Cavalry Company F,, mustered in August 27, 1861, for 3, years, Promoted to Corporal, August 27, 1864; to Sergeant, October 1, 1864; mustered out with Company, August 13, 1865; Vet.

Dr. Mahlon Bailey.

Dr. Mahlon Bailey, When the Civil war came on he became assistant surgeon of the First Kansas Volunteers, and later was made surgeon of that regiment, remaining with it throughout its various campaigns. Near the close of the war he was in Iowa, and after peace had been declared took up his residence at Topeka. He remained there, however, only until 1868, when he went to Fort Sill, Indian Territory, as surgeon of the Nineteenth Kansas Regiment, and continued in that capacity for six months, after which he returned to Topeka and again took up the practice of his profession.

Tim Baker.

Tim Baker, enlisted, in 1861, in the Thirtieth Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, with which he fought in various engagements until the battle of Shiloh, in which he was wounded in the ankle. After his recovery he was given a furlough, and on his return to the front was made a captain of the Twelfth Indiana Cavalry, with which he served gallantly until the close of the war, in 1865. He also sustained another wound, in a brush with bushwhackers

Jonathan H. Lawrence.

Jonathan H. Lawrence was a native of Morgan County, Ohio. Lawrence lived in a cabin on the coast of Maine during the War of 1812. When a British man-of-war attempted to land a small boat filled with sailors there, he as a sharpshooter wounded several and the sailors were glad to get back to their vessel. Subsequently he was promoted to the rank of lieutenant, and commanded an American ship which captured a British treasure vessel, and he was paid $4,000 as his share of the prize money. The British government subsequently offered $1,000 reward for his capture dead or alive.

Orlin M. Balch.

Orlin M. Balch, enlisted in the Third Regiment, Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry, and served nearly four years as a Union soldier. These four years were ones crowded with hard fighting, for the Third Wisconsin took part in some of the most important campaigns and battles of the great struggle, being, among others, at Shiloh, Vicksburg, Lookout Mountain and Chickamauga, and with Sherman on his great march to the sea. On one occasion Mr. Balch was wounded and taken prisoner by the enemy, but later his exchange was effected.

Guy L. Ball.

Guy L. Ball, enlisted for three years service in the Union army, and was in the south for three years and three months following the flag on many a hard-fought battlefield. He was a member of Company C in the Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and among the more important battles in which he contended were those of Vicksburg, Memphis, Shiloh, Columbus, Lookout Mountain, and a number of others in the march of the Union arms across the center of the South.

Frank A. Bardwell.

Frank A. Bardwell, enlisted in the One Hundred and Fourth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, with which he served for three years, and established a fine record for courage and faithful discharge of duty. He took part in numerous skirmishes, was with his regiment in all its long and wearisome marches, and participated in the great battles of Shiloh, Lookout Mountain, Bull Run, Chickamauga and Cold Harbor, many smaller engagements, and the siege of Vicksburg. At the close of the war he received his honorable discharge.

James Bassett.

James Bassett, enlisted in Company F of the Second Kansas Regiment of Cavalry. He remained with that regiment throughout its campaigns and service, and was not discharged until January 18, 1865. He left the army at Leavenworth as a corporal. As a volunteer he was many times called upon to do dangerous scout duty and was often under the direct fire of the enemy. He was in the Battle of Poison Springs, from which so few of his comrades escaped alive, and in that hurried retreat through the timber received an injury to his right eye which destroyed the sight later and made it necessary to remove the eyeball.

Samuel Baughman.

Samuel Baughman, was nineteen years of age when he answered the call of his country and enlisted in Company C, Fourteenth Regiment, Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Later he veteranized in the Sixty-sixth Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, his service extending from his first enlistment, in September, 1861, until his final muster out, in June, 1865. During this time he participated in numerous battles, including Fort Donelson, Shiloh and both Corinths. He was with General Sherman at Missionary Ridge and Resaca, all the battles that took place in the great march to the sea, and Atlanta, and in North Carolina, during Sherman's campaign in that state, was at one time taken prisoner by the enemy, but managed to make his escape. His record was an excellent one, both for bravery and faithful performance of duty, and he returned to his home a seasoned soldier and better man, steadied by the stern discipline of the army and with a better understanding of life's responsibilities.

George L. Beard.

George L. Beard, was a soldier in the One Hundred and Thirty-second Illinois Infantry and he saw seven months of service before the war closed.

William P. Campbell.

William P. Campbell, enlisted as a member of the First Kentucky Cavalry, and after the expiration of his original term he re-enlisted, as a private in the Sixth Kentucky Cavalry. History effectually records the gallant service of these two vital and dashing Kentucky commands, and with the latter Judge Campbell continued in active service until the close of the war, during the last two years his official post having been that of sergeant-major. In August, 1863, while scouting along the Tennessee River, he was captured by a company of Confederate soldiers, and thereafter he was held as a prisoner of war at the historic old Belle Isle Prison until March, 1864, when his exchange was effected.

Reuben Cecil.

Reuben Cecil, enlisted for service in the Forty-seventh Illinois Infantry and remained in the army until the close of hostilities. He participated with Sherman on the glorious march to the sea. After the war, he returned to Illinois.

Henry A. Cecil.

Henry A. Cecil, enlisted in 1861 in the Seventy-second Illinois Infantry and served throughout the war, participating in thirty odd battles, was once wounded, and was with Sherman in the Atlanta campaign and march to the sea, had served with Grant at Shiloh and Vicksburg, and made an enviable record as a fighting soldier.

George W. Dailey.

George W. Dailey, enlisted in Company D of the Seventeenth Kansas volunteer Infantry, serving as commissary sergeant of his company. He was on duty as a guard at Lawrence immediately following the sacking of that town.

George Dale.

George Dale, enlisted for service in the Civil war in Wisconsin in 1863, joining a Wisconsin regiment, and was wounded in battle and died in the hospital from the effects of his wounds.

Samuel S. Davis.

Samuel S. Davis, at nineteen enlist in a Rhode Island regiment of volunteer infantry, with which he served during the entire period of the struggle. He participated in numerous heavy engagements and came through without a wound, but while on a forced march contracted white swelling of the knee-cap, and for a time was invalided home. When he had received his honorable discharge and was mustered out of the service.

Charles L. Edwards.

Charles L. Edwards, enlisted as a private in Company D of the Thirty-seventh Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry. Upon the organization of the company he was elected first lieutenant, and subsequently was promoted to captain. At the close of the war he held the rank of major in the regiment. From the time of his enlistment until the last fighting in Virginia he played a gallant part, and few men saw more of the actual struggle and hardships of the war. He was present at the battles of Fredericksburg, Gettysburg, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania, Mine Run, Winchester, Petersburg, to name only a few of the major engagements, and he was also at Sailor's Creek, the last pitched battle between the forces of General Grant and of General Lee, just preceding the surrender at Appomattox. When the draft riots broke out in New York City his regiment because of its efficieney was assigned to police and patrol the city. When Washington was threatened by General Early in 1864 his command was sent to check the advance and took part in the battle of Fort Stevens, only five miles away from the capitol.

Edward J. Fleming.

Edward J. Fleming, enlisted at the age of seventeen, in the latter part of 1862, for service in the Union army. He went out with the One Hundred and Fourteenth Ohio Infantry. From that time on he was a good and faithful soldier until the flags were furled and hostilities closed with all the states reunited in perpetual union. The first great battle in which he took part was Stone River early in 1863. He was with Sherman in the first attack of the Union armies against Vicksburg, and afterwards was with Grant in the determined siege and capture of that Mississippi stronghold. Subsequently he was sent with the troops under Gen. A. J. Smith to rescue Banks' Red River expedition, and assisted Banks' forces in getting down the river. Three days after Lee surrendered he participated in the siege and storming of Mobile, Alabama.

Eric Forsse.

Eric Forsse, While living in Sweden Eric Forsse had served twelve years in the Swedish army. This experience made him a valuable man at the outbreak of the Civil war. In 1859 he had organized a company of home guards, and at the beginning of the war this was mustered into the United States service with him as captain. The company became Company D of the Fifty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry, an organization made up of the Swedish volunteers of Illinois. The regiment became part of Grant's fighting army in the great Mississippi Valley campaign. At the two days' battle of Shiloh Eric Forsse won promotion to the rank of major. He served 3 1/2 years, finally resigning his commission in October, 1864. He was in the battles of Shiloh and Corinth and a number of other campaigns until the armies reached Atlanta. He was never seriously wounded.

Francis Price Gates.

Francis Price Gates enlisted as a second lieutenant in Company E of the Third Ohio Cavalry and was promoted to major of that regiment. He was a gallant soldier.

William Bushnell Gates.

William Bushnell Gates enlisted as orderly sergeant and was promoted to captain of Company A of the Third Ohio Cavalry.

Mrs. Lavinia (Gates) Chapman.

Mrs. Lavinia (Gates) Chapman, was born in Central New York, June 20, 1835. Her parents were S. S. and Mary Ann (Pratt) Gates, and on both sides she is of Revolutionary stock. Her maternal grandfather, Maj. John Pratt, who died in 1820, was an officer in the Revolutionary war, and Gen. Horatio Gates, who captured Burgoyne and his army in 1777, was an uncle of Mrs. Chapman's father. The Gates family came to the American colonies from England and gradually spread over New England and into New York and in the course of years to states further westward.


William Patrick Hackney, enlisted in the 7th. Illinois infantry, Co. H., as a corporal was in the battles of Fort Henry, Fort Donelson Shiloh, Corinth, Nashville, Altoona Pass, Wise's Forks and in many other battles. He was wounded at Altoona Pass on the 5th of October, 1864, one ball passing through his right cheek and one through his body. He was not mustered out of the service until July, 1865.

Robert Emmett Hamill.

Robert Emmett Hamill enlisted in the fall of 1862 for service in the 126th Ohio Infantry. He was in the Union army three years four months. At first he was in the Army of the Tennessee and took part in the great battle of Shiloh. Afterwards he was with the Army of the Potomac and among the more important battles in which he participated were those of Fredericksburg, Cold Harbor, the Battle of the Wilderness, where he was wounded in the abdomen, and was almost constantly on duty until he received his honorable discharge.

Lewis Hanback.

Lewis Hanback, enlisted April 19, 1861, at Jacksonville, Illinois, in the Harding Light Guards. This organization subsequently became Company B of the Tenth Illinois Volunteer Infantry. It was a three months' organization, and when his term expired Hr. Hanback re-enlisted in Company K of the Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. He was mustered in as orderly sergeant, November 7, 1861, the day he participated in General Grant's first important engagement at Belmont, on the Mississippi River, he was promoted to second lieutenant of his company. He continued to serve with General Grant in the Kentucky campaign. He was at the battle and siege of Island No. 10, also took part in the siege and reduction of Corinth, and in the summer of 1862, was employed in guarding the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. In November, 1862, he was appointed brigade inspector and assigned to the staff of Col. G. W. Roberts. Mr. Hanback was in the battle of Stone River and on July 1, 1863, was promoted to first lieutenant. His next important service was in the battles of Chickamauga and the siege of Chattanooga, and in November, 1863, he was appointed on the staff of Gen. Phil Sheridan. With that gallant cavalry officer he served in the battle of Missionary Ridge. Later he was on the staff of Gen. C. G. Harker, and with him was sent to relieve General Burnside at Knoxville. He was on General Harker's staff until the death of that gallant officer at Kenesaw Mountain. In August, 1864, Mr. Hanback was commissioned captain of Company K, Twenty-seventh Illinois Volunteer Infantry. After that he served on the staff of Gen. L. P. Bradley as assistant adjutant general of brigade. At the conclusion of his three years' period of enlistment he was mustered out at Springfield, Illinois, September 20, 1864.

No comments: