Friday, November 11, 2011

Lieutenant Colonel Richard G. Ward's Dog Tag.

I usually find my projects by key words like House, Horse, Child and so on.  I never thought of ( Dog Tags ), until a Mr. Chris Knoblauch sent me a picture of one of his.  Now I've been doing this for many years and read thousands of documents and not once did I read anything about Dog Tags.  So I decided to see what I could find on them.  I was surprised too find so many web sites on the subject.  I knew the army started issuing them a little before WWI., and that's about all I knew about them.  But I should have known better.  The soldier was always afraid of not being identified after being wounded or killed.  I should have known with our American ingenuity a soldier would come with sometnig to speak for him when he could no longer do so for himself.
--------------------------

1st, Kansas Colored Infantry--New organization--79th., United States Colored Infantry.

Richard G. Ward
Sept. 22, 1834--Dec. 31, 1906.

First Kansas Colored Infantry Co. A.

Captain, Ward Richard G., residence Richmond, Ind., Enlisted Jan. 13, 1863. Promted Marjor May 2, 1863.

Provided by Chris Knoblauch.

Field & Staff.

Lt. Colonel, Ward Richard G., residence Richmond, Ind., Mustered in April 22, 1865. Mustered out with regiment Oct. 1, 1865.

No comments: