Friday, March 22, 2013

Arthur Longman, Michigan.

Push to enlarge.
Arthur Longman.

Co. "H."
617 Oak St., Kalamazoo, Mich.

Born in Yorkshire, England, October 6th, 1845 ; enlisted at Battle Creek, Calhoun County, Mich., August 18th, 1804, as Private in Co. "H," 7th Michigan Cavalry, wounded in right leg below the knee by kick of horse while marching at night near Petersburg about March 25th, 1865 ; mustered out at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, July 17th, 1865, and honorably discharged.

By Arthur Longman.

I joined my Regiment on the battlefield of Winchester, September 19th, 1864, just one month from the day I was mustered in. Was with the Regiment on the raid in the Shenandoah Valley from one end to the other in the fall of 1864, taking part in the capture of several of Mosby's Command at Front Royal; witnessed the shooting of three and the hanging of four by order of General Custer in retaliation for the killing of prisoners taken from our Brigade ; was in the seven days raid in Loudon County, Va., being one of the scouting party that found the corrall of hogs that the enemy had gathered up for the use of their army. We appropriated them to our own use, driving them back to camp, together with the sheep and cattle we had captured; well do I remember this raid.
Took part in the engagements at Luray, Port Republic and Mount Crawford ; from Mount Crawford I was sent on detail for horses to Harper's Ferry, so missed the Battle of Cedar Creek, October 19th, 1864, joining the Regiment on the field the night after the battle. Soon after we went into winter quarters near Winchester and settled down to picket duty and raiding. Was with the Regiment on the ten days raid the winter of 1864 and 1865 around Gordonsville, Va. mid ice and snow ; the second morning out found myself frozen fast to the ground, owing to my clothes having been wet from fording rivers, especially the Rapidan, having to dodge cakes of ice in the passage. We suffered a good deal with cold on this raid and did not inflict much damage to the enemy for we lacked artillery. Returning to camp we continued to do scouting and picket duty until the latter part of February, when we were ordered to 1 get ready to move. We moved about the 21st day of February, rounded up and captured the last of General Barley's Command and came very near capturing him.

This was the hardest marching done by the Brigade while I was with it ; for ten days of the time the mud was knee deep to the horses and out of about forty horses that started on the raid belonging to Co. "H," but two were fit for service when we reached White House Landing. After resting a little there the command moved to near City Point, where we drew a fresh supply of horses and moved to near Petersburg, from there we moved on to Lee's Army, taking part in the Battle of Five Forks, capturing the South Side Railroad, then to the Battle of Sailor's Creek, our last hard fight before the surrender, I personally capturing two prisoners the charge in the scrub timber to the left of our Infantry. I think our Regiment took twice as many prisoners after leaving City Point as we had men. While I was never wounded by shot or shell, still I have drawn my hand over the side of my head and looked for blood after being burned with a ball.

I was on the line in front of Appomattox when the surrender took place, we then moved back to Petersburg, then a forced march to the support of Sherman, marching back to Washington by way of Richmond to take part in the Grand Review. After the Grand Review we were sent to Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and I was there discharged from service in July, 1865, and returned home feeling that I had seen my share of war for the time that I had served, as with all the rest I had lost by death three bunk mates.

Authors note.  Burial; Burr Oak Cemetery, Athens, Calhoun County, Michigan.

No comments: