Monday, February 09, 2015

News From The Texas Frontier.

The following information comes from the Adjutant General of Texas, and covers the years of 1874 through 1920.  This page was made to learn what your ancestors were doing at this time in history..

Note. Sorry but there will be no other information on these names.

On 17th, 1876, Sergt. Jones arrested Alex. Gregory, charged with assault to murder. Turned him over to Sheriff of Kerr county.

June, 1876.—On 4th, arrested King Fisher and nine of his gang.On 6th, King Fisher and gang released, whilst Capt. McNelly was on his way with witnesses. Seven of the nine could have been indicted for murder in several cases. Had between six hundred and eight hundred head of stolen cattle and horses, which were turned loose.

December, 1875.—On 28th, a scouting party came across a slaughter house for stolen beeves, about forty miles north of Las Kuscias. Ranchero in charge arrested. After an ineffectual attempt to bribe the Sergeant, he tried to escape, and was killed in the attempt.

Capt. Cox, Company B: Reports that on May 4, 1871,  Sergeant R. V. Parker and eleven men of his company attacked and defeated a band of forty Indians on Rocky Creek, Palo Pinto county, killing ten warriors and recapturing forty horses. Four men of company wounded.

May 28 to June 12, 1874.—Capt. Waller's company (A) arrested over twenty-two cattle thieves and desperadoes,killed two murderers who resisted arrest, and captured 800 head of cattle; returned to owners.

In May last several very bold robberies of stores in Fort Davis were committed in broad daylight by a band of robbers led by the notorious Jesse Evans, the most daring outlaw of New Mexico. On receiving information of their outrages and petitions from civil officers and citizens of both Fort Davis and Quitman for assistance, I dispatched a detachment of company D from Menard county to Fort Davis by forced marches. .A few days after arriving there, they ascertained the whereabouts of the robbers, followed them forty or fifty miles towards the Mexican border, when a sharp fight ensued, resulting in killing one of the robbers, wounding one, and capturing the rest of the party. One of the rangers, Geo. R. Bingham, of company D, a gallant young fellow and good soldier, was killed by the outlaws in this affair.

The rangers had several engagements with these bands, in one of which private W. B, Anglin, of company B, was killed.

The Frontier Battalion during the last two years, is the breaking up of a most notorious band of high-way robbers, the largest, most thoroughly organized and successful which has ever existed in Texas, known as the " Peg Leg Stage Robbers," who have been engaged in robbing mail coaches and travelers in the highways,robbing stores and residences, and stealing horses and cattle in the counties on the frontier, for the last two years. Of this clan, there have been three killed in attempting to arrest them, and nine have been sent to the penitentiary.

Criminal.—Marcus Labate, killed by special force March 28,1880.
L. Varejal, killed by special force November 38,1879.
J. Smith, killed by special force November, 1879.
M. Martinez, killed by special force February, 1880.
August Erps, killed by company C, May, 1879.
Jesse Graham, killed by'Company D, July, 1880.
Jim Potter, killed by company D, October, 1880.
Dick Dublin, killed by company D, August, 1879.
D. Tutt, killed by company E, November, 1879.
O. Hare, wounded by special force November, 1879.
Jno. Potter, alias Red, wounded by company D, October, 1880.
W. A. Brown, wounded by company C, August, 1879. 


December 3, 1883. Private Pike and one man, Company F, attempting to arrest Ezeke de los Bantos, were resisted, and Santos was killed.

January 1, 1884. Chris Salinas resisted arrest by Lieut. W. L. Rudd, Company F, and was wounded.

February, 1884. Sergeant F. W. DeJarnette, Company A, en route to San Augelo, in stage, was attacked by stage robbers, and a fight ensued, resulting in severely wounding one robber.

March 27, 1884. Captain Schmitt and detachment killed a robber attempting to rob James' Bank, at Wichita Falls, and wounded another.

April, 1884. Sergeant A. C. Grimes, Company C, in a running fight of twelve miles, attempting to arrest criminals who resisted, captured Bob Johnson and wounded Bill Brooking.

May 9, 1884. Privates Edwards and Shely, Company F, attempting to arrest P. Reyes and P. Salinas, who resisted, killed Reyes and wounded Salinas.

May 28, 1884. Sergeant T. W. Morris and two men. Company F, attempting to arrest Burt Wages, who resisted arrest, wounded Burt Wages.

February 15, 1887—Mrs. E. E. Johnson, of Kerrville, asks for protection for herself and children from murderers, who killed her son. Capt. Jones, Company D, ordered to go and investigate.

March 31, 1887. Captain Wm. Scott with his company (F) while searching about daybreak in Sabine County for the Conner gang of desperadoes• were suddenly fired upon by the Conners from behind trees at a distance of twenty or thirty feet. The Conuers had not been seen owing to the brush and it was scarcely daylight. Private J. H. Moore fell dead at the first volley. Captain Scott Sergeant J. A. Brooks and Private J. H. Rogers fired two or three shots before being disabled. Scott was shot through the lungs. Brooks had three fingers of the left hand shot on and wounded between the first and second fingers of the right hand. Rogers was wounded in the right side and arm the ball passing through his arm. Bill Conner was killed and another Conner wounded. A pack horse of the Couriers was shot and four dogs killed.

There has been only one death in the service since my last report, that of Private Tom Goff, of Captain Rogers' company, who was killed by a prisoner in his charge in Brewster county,
on September 13, .1905.

On February 4, 1908, Ranger Homer White, of Captain Johnson's company, was killed at Weatherford while attempting to arrest a man named Clark, who was abusing a woman at the railway station. Ranger White had been in the service only about two months. He enlisted December 1, 1907, from Colorado City. He was 27 years of age, and was born in Bell county.

Capt. Geo. J. Head, with Company L, 2nd Infantry, was ordered out to assist civil officers at San Benito, in searching for the parties who ambushed and killed Ranger Q. B. Games, and Deputy Sheriff M. Lawrence, and wounded Ranger Pat Craighead and a citizen, Earl West, who was serving with the officers. The assassins escaped into Mexico. Period of service July 31 to August 3, 1910.

1910-1911, Privates Puckett and Williams of the Hospital Corps were shot and killed by Private Phil M. Firmin of Battery A, Field Artillery, while on train en route to Dallas, a short distance south of Hillsboro. The circumstances connected with or the cause of this unfortunate affair are not known to me. 

I deeply regret to record the death in action of Eugene B. Hulen, on May 24, 1915, near Candelaria, Texas, and of Lee Burdett on June 8, 1915. near Fabens. Texas. Both of these rangers belonged to Company B and were killed in line of duty by Mexican bandits.

Captain Henry Ransom having been killed August 30th, 1917.


I deeply regret to record the death of the following Rangers during the last few months:

Captain H. L. Ransom, accidentally killed, March 1, 1918.

Sergeant Delbert Timberlake, killed in line of duty, October 11, 1918.

Private Joe R. Shaw, killed in line of duty, August 21, 1918.

Private .L. T. Sadler, accidentally killed in line of duty, September
15, 1918.

Private Ben L. Pinnington, died of influenza, October 12, 1918.

Private E. P. Perkins, killed in line of duty, November 7, 1918.

Private John A. Moran, died of influenza,. December 12,'1918.

Private Charlie Hyde, died, disease, April 10, 1918.

Private Dudley White, killed in line of duty, July 12, 1918.

Private W. I. Rowe, wounded in line of duty, July 12, 1918.

Those who gave up their lives were killed by Mexican bandits in the discharge of their duty on the Mexican border. They died as brave men should in upholding the law they had sworn to defend.

On the night of July 29-30, 1920, Private J. C. Tyer, 4th Provisional Cavalry Troop, 7th Cavalry, went on duty as a sentry on Post No. 2, Camp Hutchings, fired upon a moving automobile and shot and killed the driver, the only occupant of the car. Private Tyer was immediately put under arrest by order of the Commanding General.On the succeeding day civil authorities demanded that he be handed over to them for trial, which the Commanding General refused to do. Tyer was tried before a general court martial which convened on August 2, 1920, at Galveston, Texas. The testimony established thefollowing uncontradicted facts:

Captain Herbert A. Robertson, who was driving the car, was challenged four times by Private Tyer. Captain Robertson paid no attention to the challenge and continued to drive on. Private Tyer fired, according to his statement, at the rear wheel of the car. There was but one shot fired and the shot struck and killed Captain Robertson.  The General Court Martial acquitted Private Tyer

No comments: