native of Limerick, Ireland, as was also Dominick Arthur, and the name of Limerick became attached to the part of their shares subsequently sold to Daniel Huger, son of the first Huger emigrant, who made Limerick his place of residence.
With the sale and partition of the Cypress Barony, and its plantation equipment, the family of Landgrave Thomas Colleton lost all touch with the province. In later years all the part of the Cypress Barony allotted to Michael Mahon and John Gough, with 7341/2 acres off the Arthur portion, had become the property of members of the Ball family.
It is impossible to relate all of the notable achievements of the family of Hugers. Daniel Huger the third, to whom Limerick had been devised by his father, conveyed it on March 12th, 1764, to Elias Ball of St. John's Parish, Berkley County, as containing 45641/2 acres. It continued to be owned by the Ball family for over a century and a quarter, not passing from their hands until after 1890.
There stands to-day on Limerick, the old plantation dwelling which has attained the venerable age of two hundred and odd years. Though slightly run down at the heels, it is certainly a quaint and curious old-fashioned affair that has stood the acid test of years. A glimpse of the swamp around the head waters of the Cooper are seen in the background of the illustration. This house is fairly typical of the dwellings of that day and time in those isolated regions, as is the magnificent avenue of oaks which marked the approach to most of these plantation residences.
Elias Ball, of Limerick, was held in high esteem by his brother parishioners, who erected a mural tablet to his memory in Strawberry Chapel, an honor bestowed on no other layman of that parish. He was strong-willed, kind-hearted, clearheaded, resolute, generous and affectionate. On his plantation his word was law, although he was kind to his slaves. As an illustration of his undisputed sway the following anecdote is told :
One of the overseers on the plantation was to be married, the feast was ready, the company had assembled, minister and groom were on hand ; but the bride at the last minute refused to be married at all. She would listen to neither coaxing, threats nor arguments. Mas 'Lias fortunately happened to be on the plantation ; to him a little negro boy was sent. "Mas 'Lias, Mis' Katie say she wun't married." "Tell Miss Katie I say she 'must married.' " Back sped the messenger in hot haste mth the tidings and she was.
Isaac Ball, second son of John Ball, Sr., came into possession of Limerick at the death of his uncle a few months after (1810). He married his cousin, Eliza Catherine PoyasThey settled at Limerick and lived a happy useful life. Having no children they adopted a little nephew of Mrs. Ball's.
Limerick passed to William James Ball, whose wife, Julia Cart, had charm of manner equal to her beauty of face. After her death in 1858, near the close of the Civil War, he married his cousin, Mary Huger Gibbes, and lived at Limerick, where he died in 1891.