Monday, August 29, 2011

Wisconsin Soldiers Buried In Kansas.

The fourteen men on this page came from Wisconsin and came to Kansas after the war to start a new life and would spend the rest of they lives here.


The Girard Press, Thursday, Nov. 18, 1915.

Died: Nov. 14, 1915.


ADSIT- In Girard, Kas., Nov. 14th, 1915, of cancer, Hiram F. Adsit, aged 70 years, 1 month, and 5 days.

Hiram Frost Adsit was born in Reusselaer county, New York, September 9th, 1845. He was the son of Benjamin and Deborah (Frost) Adsit. At a very early age he removed with his parents to Walworth county, Wisconsin, where he was educated in the county schools.

At the age of 18 he enlisted in Company D, Thirty Ninth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. He participated in the Siege of Vicksburg and in the Red River expedition. After his discharge, in 1864, he continued to live in Wisconsin, engaged in the lumber business, unitl 1868, when he removed to Fulton county, Illinois. In 1869 he located in Fort Scott, Kansas, but came to Girard in 1870 and has made Crawford county his home ever since that date.

He was engaged in various business enterprises in Girard and has spent several years on the farm. He is best know to the people of Crawford county as an efficient official, having served several terms as deputy sheriff and one term 1896 to 1898, as sheriff. In 1908 he was appointed superintendent of the county farm, which position he filled in a very capable manner.

On the 13th of October, 1886, Mr. Adsit was united in marriage to Miss Jenne Huff. To them were born two children Deets and Hitha. The former died at the age of two. The wife and daughter survive him.

He was a member of the Christian Science church. He also belonged to the Fraternal Aid, to General Bailey Post No. 49, G. A. R., and to the Improved Order of Red Men.

He was a staunch Republican throughout his life.

The community losses a loyal, public-spirited citizen.

Military Record.

Enlisted May 18, 1864, Residence Bualington, Mustered out September 22, 1864, served 100 day's.


The Caney News, Friday, March 27, 1914, Pg. 8.

Vol. 9, No. 37.

Died Very Suddenly.

Charles C. Brown died very suddenly last Friday night at his home after an illness of but a few hours. He had been in his usual good health until a short time before the end when he complained of a severe pain under his arm. Medical assistance was summoned but to no avail. Shortly before death he asked for a drink of water, then passed away apparently easy.

The funeral service was held Monday afternoon at 2 o’clock conducted by Rev. Pittman of Havana. The ritualistic service of the Post and Relief Corps were held at the grave.

Those from out of town who attended the funeral were Clyde Hofmaister of Tulsa, Mrs. Jameson of Vinton, Iowa, Mrs. Lizzie Murphy of Minneapolis and Claude Brown of Ottawa.

Mr. Brown had lived in Caney for the past 12 years. He was a highly respected citizen and a loving and devoted father and husband. Was born in 1831 in Indiana. At the age of 14 years he moved to Wisconsin and there at the age of 21 married Miss Julia Stevens who survives him. To this union four children were born, the oldest Mrs. Wm. Hofmaister of this city. The other three were boys and all dead.

The deceased was an active member of the local G. A. R. post and his work and efforts in that organization will be greatly missed. He served in the Civil War as a private in Co. C, 50th, Indiana regiment *. He enlisted in February ’65 and in August of the same year was discharged on account of disability. He was Junior Vice Commander of the local post.

* Newspaper got the unit wrong based on inscription on tombstone and the National Parks Service “Soldiers and Sailors” website. Charles C. Brown was in Co. C, 50th WI. Infantry.

Military record.

Enlisted February 24, 1865, Private, Residence Gratiot, Mustered out August 2, 1865.


Independence Daily Reporter, Monday, July 7, 1913, Pg 1.




The Long and Eventful Career of an Honored and Respected Citizen.

J. G. Cavert, one of our old and highly respected citizens, passed away at his home in this city at 4:40 o’clock yesterday morning.

The funeral will take place from the family residence, 322 South Pennsylvania avenue, at 9:30 o’clock tomorrow morning, under the auspices of the Elks lodge of this city, Rev. Floyd Poe, of the Presbyterian church, officiating.

Mr. Cavert would have been 85 years old next September. He has always been a very industrious man, only retiring from active business about seven years ago, on account of failing health. Since his retirement it has been his habit to walk up town almost every day making his headquarters at the office of his son, H. O. Cavert, where he would meet his old friends. Notwithstanding his advanced years and feeble physical condition he continued to take a lively interest in the affairs of life and it was always a pleasure to meet the old gentleman as he had had a varied experience in life and retained a fund of interesting anecdotes and incidents of his long eventful career that were interesting and instructive. He was a generous hearted, kindly man and was loved and respected by his friends and neighbors. He was an upright citizen, public spirited and loyal, and never faltered in doing his whole duty to the commonwealth, to his family, to his community in which he lived and standing as a man among men.

J. G. Cavert was born in New York but went with his parents to Wisconsin in 1847. His father was a descendant of an Irishman, who with a brother settled in New York state in the early days of the history of this country. For some reason these brothers changed the spelling of the name from “Calvert” to Cavert.

The subject of this sketch grew up and was married in Wisconsin. When in the “sixties” his country called for men he entered the volunteer service, and was commissioned first lieutenant in the Third Wisconsin Cavalry, Company I. He was afterwards promoted to a captaincy and was mustered out as such after having served four years, chiefly in the western department, where guerrillas and bushwhackers prevailed. He experienced a long and hard service in the army.

Following the war he remained in Wisconsin several years, engaged in the lumber business, but in 1876 he came to Montgomery county with his family and settled on a farm on Elk river in Sycamore township.

Two years following the family came to Independence where Mr. Cavert has since made his home. He was married twice, his second wife surviving him. Of the first union four (seven) children were born, four of whom survive their parents. Two of the children died when young, and a daughter, Mrs. Frankie Parker, died in Portland, Oregon, a few years ago.

The surviving children, H. O. Cavert, and Mrs. Stella Flora, of this city, and Mrs. Mattie Calhoun and Callista Covert, of Tulsa, are all here to attend the funeral of their father.

Military Record.

Joseph ( Josiah ) G. Cavert, Residence Appleton, From rank December 22, 1862. Enlisted January 1, 1862; Sergeant, First Sergeant; Second Lieutenant August 1, 1862; Rec. December 9, 1864, Commissioned Captain December 20, 1864, decline.


Independence Daily Reporter, Wednesday, July 29, 1914.

Horace H. Crane Died Last Night.


Horace H. Crane, one of the oldest and most highly respected citizens of this city, died at his home, corner of North Eighth and Chestnut streets, at 9 o’clock last night. Mr. Crane had been gradually failing, the past year or two, and his death was not an event unexpected. Always a man devoted to the active affairs of life, when the weight of increasing years finally confined him to his home, his physical decline was very rapid, although a man of rugged physique and wonderful endurance.

Horace H. Crane was born November 15, 1836, in Shalersville, Ohio, and would have been 78 years of age had he lived until next November. He resided with his parents at the place of his birth until nine years old, when he accompanied his parents to Appleton, Wisconsin, where he was living at the time of the Civil War. In 1862 he answered the call of his country and enlisted in Co. “I”, 3rd Wisconsin Volunteer Cavalry, under Col. Barraton, General Blunt’s division of the Army of the West. In this regiment he saw some active service, participating in the battles of Cane Hill and Pea Ridge, and numerous skirmishes. Much of his service was in escorting government trains through Missouri and Arkansas. He was mustered out at Fort Scott in August, 1863. After being mustered out he purchased a car load of horses in the vicinity of Fort Scott and took them back to Wisconsin and sold them.

He soon however, returned to Kansas and settled on a farm near Leroy in Coffey county, where he married Elizabeth High. Shortly after his marriage, or in 1868, Mr. Crane came to this county with his wife and selected and filed on a quarter of land in section 5-32-15, on which is now located Crane station on the Santa Fe line. At the time of his death Mr. Crane still retained ownership of his original claim, which had been largely increased in acreage by the addition of adjoining land by purchase since, and is recognize as one of the large and valuable farms of the county, on which are not only raised fine crops, but oil and gas have been developed on the tract.

When Mr. Crane settled on the claim in 1868 the Osage Indians were still in possession of all the territory that now comprises Montgomery county. Mr. Crane purchased the protection and right of settlement from the noted Osage Indian chief, Napawalla, for the sum of $100. This guaranteed protection to ten families Mr. Crane wished to settle in that vicinity. Mr. Crane always referred to the fact with satisfaction that while no paper was signed, the chief carried out his part of the program without a breach. There were at the time some 400 Indians in the vicinity, and some of them remained until the government removed them by force.

Horace H. Crane was a good citizen, a kind neighbor and a considerate friend, respected and esteemed by his fellow citizens. He was a number of times mentioned in connection with high positions of public trust, and was at one time a candidate for county treasurer on the Democratic ticket and received a vote far in excess of the regular vote of his party. He was a successful businessman. He experienced all the vicissitudes and trails of pioneer life, and lived to see the efforts of the men who with him blazed the way in a wilderness crowned with the triumphs and achievements of a splendid civilization, replete with the comforts, privileges and benefits that contribute to the richness and fullness of life. A man of rugged character, with faith and confidence in his fellow men and the triumph of right, he practiced in his daily life straightforward honesty and noble charity, and contributed his share towards the building of the solid foundation on which rests the social and commercial greatness that now distinguishes the section to which he came as a pioneer.

Mr. Crane is survived by his estimable wife and four children, one brother and one sister. The four children are Mrs. J. D. Hughes of Vinita, Charles O., of Bristow, and Horace and Frederick of Elgin. The children were all at home at the time of their father’s death. His elder brother, William, resides in this city and his sister, Mrs. Fitch, lives at Winfield. She is expected to arrive today.

The funeral will take place from the family residence tomorrow morning at 9 o’clock, the services being under the auspices of the Masonic order. Mr. Crane was a Knight Templar Mason and a Shriner, also a member of the Elks, the Woodmen of the World, and McPherson Post, G. A. R.

Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.

Military Record.

Enlisted January 25, 1862,Rank Private, Residence Appleton,Discharged April 30, 1863, Disability.


John Creagon Dead.

John Creagon, father of Mrs. W. G. Norman, died suddenly last night at the home of Mrs. J. S. Morrow on North Neosho at the age of 72 years. He was found sitting in his chair about 9:30 with the evening paper in his hand but an examination showed that he had probably been dead for perhaps an hour when found. Death was due to heart trouble with which he has been bothered for some time. He was taken at once to the home of his daughter with whom he makes his home, having taken up only temporary quarters at the Morrow home while Dr. and Mrs. Norman were moving.

Funeral services will be held Sunday afternoon from the Norman home, 611 East Main, at 2 o’clock conducted by Rev. W. H. Mulvaney. The services will be in charge of the Masons, of which Mr. Creagon was a member. He was also a member of the G. A.R . Burial will be in Fairview cemetery beside Mrs. Creagon, who died last April.

His grandson, Frank Sands, is here from Coffeyville to attend the funeral.

Military Record.

JOHN CREAGON ( Creagan.)

Wisconsin 10th., Battery, Light Artillery,enlisted December 1, 1861, Residence Mauston, Corporal,Transfrred to 8th Battery.

Wisconsin 8th, Battery, Light Artillery, Residence Mauston, Transfrred from 10th., Battery; Veteran, Mustered out August 10, 1865.


Goodland Republic, Friday, June 12, 1903.

Died: June 8, 1903.


Peter Doerfer Succumbs After Five Years.

Fight With Cancer of the Face.

Peter Doerfer. for many years a resident of Sherman county, and a veteran of the civil war. died at his home in Goodland, Monday. June 8, from the effects of a cancer, which afflicted him for five years. He was 54 years old. Funeral services were held at the Catholic church at two o'clock Tuesday afternoon and burial made in the Goodland cemetery.

The cancer made its first appearance upon the face of Mr. Doerter five years ago. After it was discovered that the small red spot which made its discomfiting appearance was cancer, Mr. Doerfer went to Kansas City where he received the treatment of a specialist. The sore was healed over in a short time, and when he returned home no anxiety was felt as to the returning of the trouble, but in less than a month the malignant growth began to return and spread rapidly around the point where it first broke out. From that day to the time of his death Mr. Doerter was a great sufferer, and nothing but a noble fortitude and unusual bodily vigor enabled him to make so long a fight for his life.

He returned to the same specialist who had first treated him, but was told that the cancer was beyond control. He then went to Denver in the hope of finding some specialist whose methods might avail, but all in vain. Wherever he went and he counseled the most eminent specialists in the west, the same discouraging opinions were always given. At last he returned home to face a fight against death. All the rest he got was from the temporary relief afforded by the influence of anaesthetics.

The cancer all the while continued to spread until the whole side of his face was eaten away. Mr. Doerfer died from exhaustion rather from the activity of the cancer upon any of the vital parts beneath the face.

Mr. Doerfer was born in Germany, but emigrated to this country early in life. He enlisted in the Third Wisconsin infantry, serving 18 months in the civil war. He was only 18 years old when he was mustered out in July, 1864.

It was in 1885 that Mr. Doerter and his family came to Sherman county. He was one of the pioneers of northwest Kansas, and took up a homestead in Smoky township and knew what it was to face the uncertain fortunes of a new country. The deceased leaves a wife, five sons and three daughters.


Author note. Military Record.

Peter Doerfer ( Doefler.)

Wisconsin 26th., Infantry Co. F., Transfrred to 3rd., Infantry, June 10, 1865.

Wisconsin 3rd., Infantry Co. F., Residence Milwaukee, Enlisted February 18, 1864, From Co. F. 26th., Infantry, Mustered out July 18, 1865.


The Severyite, March 1, 1901, Pg. 8.

Died Feb. 21, 1901.

Elling Ellingson, Son of Elling and Johnanna Ellingson was born in Endersegon, Norway, Feb. 4, 1846, and died at his home in this city Feb. 21, 1901, at 10:10 a.m. at the age of 55 years and 17 days.

The funeral services were held at 11 a. m. last Saturday at the M. E. church. The remains were in charge of the I. O. O. F. and G. A. R. three of each order acting as pall bearers. At 11 o’clock the remains were taken to the church followed by the relatives and orders. Rev. Bixby preached an appropriate and fitting sermon in harmony with the life of a generous, honest, upright and public spirited man such a life as the deceased lived whose good deeds in life will live on, though he be dead. Following the sermon were the church services of the I. O. O. F. after which the last look at the departed one the remains were taken to Twin Groves cemetery followed by the relatives and a host of friends in carriages and the Odd Fellows and most of the G. A. R. on foot. The burial services of the two orders were held at the grave after which the people departed to their homes, realizing that they had lost a good friend and our city one of its best and most enterprising citizens, and whose memory will not soon be forgotten.

The deceased came to America in 1851 and in 1861 at the age of 16 years of age enlisted under the stars and stripes, which he loved so well, in that famous “Eagle Regiment,” the 8th Wisconsin. He served three years of the war and was wounded and honorably discharged. He came to Kansas soon after and on Oct. 17, 1867, at Burlingame, was united in marriage to Miss Mary Allison. To this union three children were born, one of them, John Ellingson living southwest of Severy, his wife and aged mother are left to mourn the loss of a loving father, husband and son.

Soon after his marriage he removed to this county, locating on a farm 12 north of Eureka. About ’70 he moved to Eureka and went into the grocery business; a few years later he moved to Old Charleston near what is now the city of Fall River, and in the late ‘70s removed to Severy and opened up the first store in the place and since then this has been his home, a city that he has had a great deal in making it the place that it is today, a place that he was always proud of, a place that is proud that he was one of its citizens.

When the city was incorporated in the spring of 1880, he was elected the first Mayor and has held the office at different times since.

The deceased was a hard worker and had acquired considerable property in the shape of farm lands and town property, and at the time of his death had part of the material on hand and was soon going to commence the erection of a fine ten room brick residence on his land just east of Severy.

When a man, who has had such an influence as Mr. Ellingson, passes away we cannot help but chronicle that event with great sorrow.

True his presence will be missed most within his own home, yet he has been brought into such close connection with all in the community, through his long career as a business man, that all regard him as in some way belonging to them and cherish the memory of him.

He was a man of indomitable energy and push, throwing his whole soul into whatever he undertook. He was possessed of that rare quality of tending strictly to his affairs and not troubling other people. He believed that by filling to the full his position as a business man and the community at large. His life was honorable because it was useful and helpful and the example he has always given is worthy of imitation by all.

Military Record.

Wisconsin 8th.,Infantry, Co. H., Enlisted January 8, 1864, Residence Dunkirk, Mustered out July 8, 1865.


The Severyite, Thursday, May 17, 1906, Pg. 1.

Died: May 14, 1906.

Another Greenwood County Pioneer Gone.

Wendell P. Fairbrother passed away at his home in this city Monday morning May 14th. Deceased was born in Pittsfield, Maine, Jan. 15, 1841; removed to Janesville, Wisconsin in 1854, where he married to Miss Fanny E. Lester on Dec. 24, 1861, who together with four surviving children, Mrs. Luella Baily, Mrs. Cora Devie and Lester and Eva are mourning his demise. In April ’61 he among the first answered his country’s call for volunteers, by enlisting in Co. D, 2nd Wisconsin volunteers, and was immediately ordered to the front, where he took part in the battle of Bull Run and was so severely wounded that he was given a discharge and returned to his home, but recovering re-enlisted, this time in Co. D, 4th Wisconsin cavalry and remained in the service much active service and many hardships. 1871 he removed with his family to Greenwood county, Kansas, and he began the toilsome life of a pioneer farmer and a few years ago removed to Severy where he continued to reside until his death, a faithful soldier, a loving husband and father, a good neighbor and a respected citizen, his life was such a one as inspires the affection of friends and commands the respect of the community.

He was a member of Brownlow Post G. A. R., under whose auspices the funeral services were conducted, assisted by Rev. Rhoads Tuesday afternoon. The body was interred in Twin Grove cemetery.

Military Record.

Wisconsin 4th., Cavalry, Co. D, Enlisted March 26, 1864, Residence Janesville, Corporal, Mustered out August 26, 1865.


Hiram J. Gardner was born in Chautauqua county, New York, August 4, 1840 and died in Chanute, Kansas, November 14, 1925.

Mr. Gardner answered the call of his country in 1861, serving three years in Company F, Third regiment Wisconsin cavalry. After his discharge in 1865 he was married to Theodocia Nichols at Deerfield, Mo., where they spent their early married life on a farm. They moved to Fort Scott in 1870 and later to Neosho, Mo., where Mrs. Gardner was killed in a runaway in 1886, leaving five children.

In 1902 Mr. Gardner and Lucy V. Stone were married and moved to Chanute, where he lived until his death.

The following family members survived him at the time of his death, his wife; Lucy V. Gardner; one son, R. E. Gardner of Nappa, Cal.; three daughters; Mrs. Loyal C. Cowen of Fort Scott, Kan.; Mrs. S. O. Putnam of La Jolla, Cal., and Mrs. Fred Van Derschmidt of Leavenworth, Kan.; two sisters Miss Arie Gardner of Los Angeles, Cal., and Mrs. S. A. Berage of Fort Scott, Kan., eleven grandchildren and one great grandchild.

Military Record.

Wisconsin 3rd., Cavalry, Co. F, Enlisted November 27, 1861, Residence Baraboo, Corporal, Mustered out February 17, 1865.


South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, May 22, 1912, Pg. 3.

Soldier, Pioneer and Christian.

When death claimed Mr. Elson Goodell, May 17, 1912, it took a gentleman who always tried to do his duty, and to live in peace with his neighbors. He was born in Potage county, Ohio, in 1840; twenty-two years later found him in Wisconsin and he heard and answered the call of Abraham Lincoln, by volunteering and serving in the Seventeenth Wisconsin, Company K, in the Army of the Tennessee. After a short service he was wounded, and was discharged. He remained in Wisconsin for a few years but in the later ‘60s got the Kansas fever and located in Coffey county. There he met Miss Mary A. Randall and in April 1869 they were married. To this union were born John F., Clarence H., Mrs. Earl Hamilton, and Mrs. Virgil Barker. In 1869-80 Mr. Goodell sought a home on the Osage Diminished Reservation and selected a choice claim in Elk Valley in this county, near what became Crane Station. There he brought his bride and they pioneered until they became known as not only prosperous but among the very best of the early settlers. As the years came on he moved to town and engaged in the meat market trade, of late with A. F. Johnson. He was a loyal member of the Christian church and of the Masonic lodge, which had charge of the interment on Sunday. The service was largely attended, and his pastor Rev. Bassett made an appropriate address.

The daughter Bessie, Mrs. Barker, has been in New Mexico for her health and was not able to get here in time for the funeral.

From History of Montgomery County, Kansas, By Its Own People, Published by L. Wallace Duncan, Iola, Kansas, 1903, Pg. 776-777.

Goodell, Elson Bio.

What impresses the transient most forcibly in Independence is the substantial character of the business section of the city and the evident pride taken in keeping its appearance up-to-date by the merchants and tradesmen doing business there. A closer acquaintance with the personnel of the business element discloses the fact that his civic pride is due to a few choice spirits who have preached this sentiment, day in and day out, for years—and verily they have their reward. The name of the gentlemen to whom such is due for the splendid development the city has made, appears above. For two decades Mr. Goodell has been part and parcel of the city’s growth, his character for business integrity not being surpassed by any of the many good men now connected with the business interests. He does a large business in meat products, and in many respects his trade is the choicest in the city.

The Buckeye State was the place of Mr. Goodell’s nativity, he having been born in Portage count, September 10, 1840. He was a son of Samuel and Julia Goodell, the former a native of Vermont and the latter of Connecticut. They were among that class of early pioneers who met the foes of progress and faced dangers that might well appall the stoutest heart, having settled there immediately succeeding the War of 1812. They were tillers of the soil and found its exacting labors too arduous, both dying within eight days in 845; the father at thirty-eight, the mother at thirty-six years. Of their family of four children, our subject is the eldest, the others being: Emeline, Annetta, Mrs. H. D. Coe of Portage county, Ohio and Jane, the wif3e of Dr. Clark, of Washington.

E. Goodell received an excellent education in the common schools of his native state, to which was added scholastic training at Hiram College, he being a student there when it was under the charge of the lamented President Garfield.

After his school days he returned to the farm, where he was engaged at the breaking out of the Civil War. In January of 1862 he enlisted in Company K, 17th Wisconsin Inf., to which state he had gone but a short time before. His regiment became part of the Army of Tennessee and he participated in its movements for a period of eight months, when he was honorably discharged from the service on account of sickness. Returning to Wisconsin, he put in the winter in the lumber camp, the following spring coming out to Kansas. Here he settled in Coffey county, where he was engaged in farming until 1869, the date of his settlement in Montgomery. He took a claim in Sycamore twp., which he successfully farmed until 1883. A year on a cattle ranch preceded his coming to Independence, where he has since resided, engaged continuously in the sale of meats.

Mr. Goodell affiliates with the Masonic order, and is always found ready to engage in any service which has for its object the advancement of his municipality. He was married in April of 1865, in LeRoy, Kansas, his wife having been Mary A., daughter of Benj. and Sophrona Randall. Mrs. Goodell is a lady of many excellent traits of character, a consistent member of the Christian church, in whose social work she takes an active part. She is the mother of four children, three of whom have left the home roof and are respected members of society. Their names are: John E., and Clarence H., connected with their fathers business. The former married Miss Retta Neilson, and the latter Maud Sevier. Mamie is living in Colorado, the wife of Earl Hamilton, and Bessie is a schoolgirl at home.

Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.

Author note, Military Record.

Elson ( Elsom ) Gardner, Wisconsin 17th., Infantry, Co. K, Enlisted January 3, 1862, Residence Appleton, Sergeant, discharged August 9, 1865, for disability.


Abilene Daily Reflector, Monday, Sept. 8, 1919.

Vol. XXXIII, No. 110.



Prominent Abilene Resident Served, As Mayor Three Terms.

Funeral services for David Matteson, aged 81, who died Saturday afternoon, were held this morning at 10:00 o’clock from the Methodist church, Rev. C. L. Hovgard presiding: Rev. Allman preached the sermon by request of the deceased and Rev. F. S. Blayney offered the prayer. The male quartette sang and the G. A. R. attended in a body. Interment was made in Abilene cemetery.

Four surviving children were here for the funeral. They are Mrs. Jas. Lancy, W. A. Matteson and H. E. Matteson of this city and Mrs. Nettie Farley of Denver.

Mr. Matteson was one of the early settlers here, coming in 1873 and took a homestead in northwest Dickinson. He later moved to Abilene and was interested in financial matters and for three terms was mayor of Abilene. He was also a veteran of the Civil War.

Abilene Daily Reflector, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 1919, Pg. 5.

Vol. XXXIII, No. 112.

Obituary-David Matteson.

David Matteson was born in West Greenwich, R. I., Sept. 17, 1838, and here his mother died when he was only nineteen months old. Mr. Matteson spent his childhood and youth in the east. He was married to Maryette Brown, Sept. 17, 1860, at Geneva, Wis., and to this union was born five children. One of these namely, Chas. David Matteson died in 1902, while four were here at the funeral services and were present at their father’s death. These are; Mrs. Hattie A. Laney, W. A. Laney, W. A. Matteson, H. E. Matteson, all of Abilene, while Mrs. Nettie Farley is of Denver, Ohio.

Mr. Matteson served his country during the Civil War, and for three years, one month and nineteen days he was a member of the Wisconsin Vol. Inf.

In 1873, Mr. Matteson came to Dickinson county, and here he has been at home ever since. Here his wife was laid to rest in 1897, and in the sorrows and the joys of frontier life he took his part. He served as mayor of Abilene for three terms and took an active part in the social and political life of the community. He was a man of considerable ability, and always held in high esteem by his fellows.

Mr. Matteson united with the Methodist church, February 8, 1914, and has been a faithful member ever since. It was late in life for a man to take such a step, and it is very rare for people to do so, but Mr. Matteson did it after a deliberate consideration being convinced it was the right thing to do. For several years Mr. Matteson has been confined to his room with paralysis, and now at the age of 80 years, eleven months and 20 days he has crossed the river. There remain to mourn his departure the above named children with their families, and a host, of friends.

Military Record.

Wisconsin 10th., Infantry Co. A., Enlisted September 14, 1861, Mustered out November 3, 1863.


The Eureka Herald, Thursday, Apr. 8, 1909.

Died: Apr. 5, 1909.

Pioneer Citizen Passes Away.

William McBrown, for nearly forty years a resident of Greenwood county and one of the more prominent citizens died at his home in Fall River Monday April 5, 1909, aged sixty nine years, two months and ninety days. William McBrown was born at Lancaster, New Hampshire, January 17, 1840. At the age of 12 he removed with his parents to Wisconsin. Five years later, at the age of seventeen he came to Kansas locating at Neosho Falls. In 1861 at the beginning of the Civil War he returned to Wisconsin and enlisted in the First Wisconsin Cavalry. After nineteen months of service he was taken prisoner, paroled and sent home. Returning to Kansas he again enlisted in the Ninth Kansas, with which regiment he served until the close of the war, having given four of the best years of his young manhood in of his country. At the close of the war, he settled in Wilson county and engaged in the mercantile business. In 1869 he was elected county treasurer which office he filled with honor and credit. May 29, 1870 he was married to Maggie Mills, who with three sons, three daughters and a sister survive him. In March 1872 he removed to his farm in Greenwood county where he lived for eleven years when he went to Fall River City and there spent his remaining days. He always took an active interest in the civic welfare of the town, and served several terms as its mayor, his successor being elected the day of his death. Mr. McBrown had been a member of the Masonic fraternity for many years. He loved the order and, although for the last few years, his failing strength had kept him from taking an active part in its work, he was always interested in everything pertaining to it. He lived by the rule of right doing; his life was large; his insight into things material was penetrating and farseeing; his judgment was keen; and his advise was always valuable. His creed was to live honorably, to deal justly, and he always had the greatest respect for those whose guide was the Golden Rule. Many there are who have known the meaning of his friendship. Perfect peace crown the gray head and soothing rest to the tired feet that walked the earth for seventy steadfast years. Funeral services were held at Fall River Wednesday and were largely attended. Most of the Fredonia Commandery Knights Templar were in attendance and had charge of the services. Rev. Bernard Kelley, a long time friend of the deceased, preached the funeral discourse.

Military Record.

He was not found on any Wisconsin Company nor regiment rosters.


South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, February 5, 1902.

Died: January 22, 1902.

Dr. Edward Miles was born in Missouri, August 31st 1844. His parents moved to Indiana, where his father died when the son was six years old. His mother removed with her children to Wisconsin, where he lived until he enlisted in the Civil war, in the Fifth Wisconsin Volunteers. He was married to Adelia Miles, August 22nd, 1864, and six children were born to them, four of whom are left to mourn their loss. He came to LaFountaine, Kansas in the winter of 1880-1 where he practiced his profession. He was married to Laura C. Collet, August 28th, 1893, and in 1907 moved with his family to Bolton, where he continued in the practice of medicine until his last illness at which time he was serving as postmaster. He was taken ill with pneumonia January 17th, but his heart action was not strong enough to carry him through and he died of heart failure on January 22nd, 1902. He leaves a widow and two children who mourn their great loss. Interment in the cemetery at old Harrisonville.

Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.

Military Record.

Wisconsin 5th., Infantry, Co. E, Enlisted June 6, 1861, Residence Janesville, Discharged November 2, 1863, for disability.


The Frankfort Daily Index, Saturday, Mar. 3, 1917, Pg. 3.

Vol. 19, No. 6.


Elias Schreiner was born in Germany in 1830, and departed this life in Frankfort, Kans., on Feb. 22, 1917, aged 86 years, 4 months and 1 day.

He came to America in 1849, locating at Sheboygan, Wis., where he was married to Miss Annie Harms in 1854. To this union were born eleven children, seven girls and four boys. One daughter, Annie died at the age of seven years and was buried in Wisconsin, while three other daughters grew to womanhood, but passed away a few years ago. They were Mrs. Emma Day, who died at Herington, Kans.; Mrs. Sophie Tudor, who died in Colorado, and Mrs. Huldah Bailey, who died in Missouri. The living children are Mrs. Mary Scholz of Frankfort; Miss Lena Schrener of Madison, Kans.; Mrs. Margaret Ingraham of Frankfort; Ernest Schreiner of Oregon; Henry, William and Fred Schreiner, all of Frankfort.

The deceased was a veteran of the Civil War, and enlisted in 1862, in Co. G, 34th Wisconsin regiment.

The family moved to Iowa in 1864, where they resided a year before moving to Marshall county, Kansas, where they located on a farm in the La Grange neighborhood, making their home there till after the death of Mrs. Schreiner, when he moved into town.

He was a member of the Lutheran church since early boyhood. Besides his chidren he is survived by twenty grandchildren, five great grandchildren and a large circle of friends.

The funeral services were conducted by Rev. G. M. West, pastor of the Presbyterian church, at the family home on East Sixth street, at 2 o’clock Tuesday, afternoon, Feb. 27th and interment was made in the family lot in the LaGrange cemetery, south of town. Following the sermon, Henderson Post G. A. R. held their ritualistic services for their late comrade.

Military Record.

Wisconsin 34th., Infantry, Co. G, Enlisted November 11, 1862, Residence Herman, Sergeant, First Sergeant; Mustered out September 8, 1863.

No comments: