Friday, September 02, 2011

New York Soldiers Buried In Kansas.

Authors Note. Although these obituaries are well written I find that there may be some errors in the military information. Now I don't know were these reporters got their information. It could have been from the families or just word of mouth or from the state military records. The reporters of old are no different then those of today. They read some document and took it as fact when there was no bases for fact. At the bottom of each name I have added a military record, which was taken from the the New York state military records. But I would suggest that you do a little more research on his military record before you state this information as fact.


The Larned Eagle-Optic, Friday, August 18, 1899, Pg 3.

Death of an Old Resident.

John Arnold was born in South Hamptonshire, England, July 3d, 1831, and died in Larned, August 12th, 1899, aged sixty-eight years one month and nine days. At the age of twenty-three he enlisted in the Crimean war, remaining until peace was declared. Re-enlisting in the regulars, he served five years, during which time he was sent to Canada. When discharged he went to Poughkeepsie, New York, where he engaged in the business of carriage and wagon making. When war broke out in this country he enlisted in the First New York mounted rifle company, where he remained until the close of the war. When a young man he united with the church, and ever thought that his church work was paramount to any other. Only one son survives him, William Arnold, in Wheatland, Wyoming. His love, patience and discreet dealings with his step-children have rendered his bereavement equal to what it would have been if he had been their natural father, and they mourn him with equal grief. Mr. Arnold had been failing for some time, but Friday morning he got worse, when he came in to see the doctor. He kept getting worse, so that he could not get back home, and so was taken to the Presbyterian parsonage, where he died Saturday at 4:45 p.m. The funeral services were held in the Presbyterian church Sunday at 3 p. m., Rev. Fonken preaching from the text, “Death is swallowed up in victory.” I. Cor. XV. 54.

The church was crowded. The relief corps, G. A. R., and Daughters of the Rebekka and Odd Fellows attended in a body.

Military Record.

Furst Mounted Rifles Co. C.

ARNOLD, JOHN.—Age, 30 years. Enlisted, October 2, 1861, at Ellenville; mustered i n as wagoner, Co. C, October 16, 1861, to serve three years; mustered out, October 3, 1864, at Point of Rocks, V a .


Buried in Le Roy Cemetery, Le Roy, Coffey Co., KS.

Died: Oct. 3, 1893.


BAILEY—At Le Roy, Kansas, October 3, 1893, William F. Bailey, Aged 52 years, 5 months and 25 days.

The deceased was born in London, England, April 8, 1841, and came to America at the age of 14 years. After residing for sometime in Canada, he removed to Grand Rapids, Michigan, where he resided for more than ten years. He was married at Buffalo, New York, Oct. 19, 1865. In 1878 he moved with his family to Kansas and for the past dozen years he was a citizen of Le Roy. During the war he served his country well for 2 years and 9 months as a soldier, having enlisted in 1862 and being honorably discharged at the close of the war. In 1884 he joined the G. A. R. He was also a member of the present city council, an honorable citizen, respected by all who knew him, honest in his dealings and upright in his character and actions.

Such is the brief record of the deceased’s life as furnished to us by Rev. H. A. Cook who preached an interesting and appropriate sermon Wednesday afternoon at the M. E. church whence the remains were carried to his last resting place, followed by a large concourse of sympathizing neighbors and friends.

As the writer passed by the deceased’s place of business the morning after the death, and looked at the crape on the door, a little urchin walked by and shaking his head in a grave manner, said: “The best man in town is gone. He always attended to his own business.” The sentiments expressed by the little boy will be indorsed by every citizen of Le Roy. If Mr. Bailey had an enemy in all this country, we have not heard of him. His untimely taking off is sincerely mourned by everybody. He leaves a widow, two sons and one daughter, all grown and able to carry on the business in which he was engaged. They have the sympathy of the entire community.

Military Record.

11th, New York, Cavalry Co. M.

B A I L E Y , W I L L I A M F.—Age. 21 years. Enlisted, August 20, 1862, at Buffalo; mustered in as private, Oo. M , August 28, 1862, to serve three years; mustered out, t o ' d a t e May 28, 1805, at Memphis, Tenn.


South Kansas Tribune, Wednesday, November 4, 1914, Pg. 1.


Last evening death came to Comrade James B. Brown, 426 South Fifteenth street, at the age of 74 years and 6 months. He came to West Cherry township in the early eighties locating on a good farm where his sons grew to manhood. He was an active Christian worker and was prominent in the erection of the Choteau church, and in Sunday School work. He was a successful farmer and greatly interested in the advancement of agriculture and stock raising. After the sons began to leave home the parents sold their farm and moved to this city where he purchased a home and good business property, and himself and wife united with the First Methodist Episcopal church of which he was a working member. Last July a slight touch of paralysis developed and later a kidney trouble added to the complication, and for a week he lingered near the border. When his country needed help he answered the Lincoln call for “300,000 more”, and was mustered in as sergeant of Company L, Tenth New York Cavalry, and served near three years. He is survived by his widow and sons G. D., H. G., and J. H. and daughter May, wife of Roy Goff of Bucklin, Kan. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. Thursday.

Contributed by Mrs. Maryann Johnson a Civil war researcher and a volunteer in the Kansas Room of the Independence Public Library, Independence, Kansas.

Military Record.

10th., New York Cavalry Co. L.

B R O W N , J A M E S B.—Age, 22 years. Enlisted, September 25, 1862, at A u r o r a ; mustered i n as private, Oo. L, October 29, 1862, t o serve three years; m i s s i n g i n action at Brandy Station, V a . , June 9, 1863; appointed corporal, date not stated; sergeant, December 11, 1864; mustered out, June 26, 1S65, near A l e x a n d r i a , V a . , as supernumerary.


The Larned Eagle-Optic, Friday, Feb. 17, 1899, Pg 3.

Vol. XVI, No. 12.

Death of M. R. Davin.

Mr. Michael Davin, for many years a resident of this city, died at Wichita Monday, the 13th, where he had gone a few weeks before to secure medical treatment. The remains were brought home Tuesday, by his daughter, Miss Matie Davin, and were buried from the Presbyterian church Thursday, afternoon at half past two o’clock with Grand Army honors. Michael Richard Davin, was born in Ireland in 1843. He came to this country as a boy and lived at Syracuse, New York, where he married Miss Jane Kilcoyne. He moved to Iowa in 1878, and the next year moved to Ness county, of this state, and for the last thirteen years has lived in Larned.

The deceased enlisted as a private in Company “C,” Second New York heavy artillery, in June, 1862, under the name of Richard Davin, fearing that, as he was at the time a minor, if he enlisted under his full name his parents would take him out of the army. He was wounded at the battle of Cold Harbor, but served with distinction until the close of the war and was honorably discharged in May, 1865, having given thirty-five months to the service of his country.

The deceased leaves a wife and two children, Matie and Charlie and a large number of friends, to mourn his death.

The editor of this paper reckoned big hearted, honest “Mike” Davin one of the staunchest friends, and desires to add his humble testimonial as to his character as a modest unassuming, upright and worthy citizen.

Military Record.

2nd. New York Heavy Artillery Co. C.

DAVIN, RICHARD.—Age, 19 years. Enlisted, June 24, 1862, at Syracuse, N. Y.; mustered in ais private, Oo. C, June 24,1862, to serve three years; wounded in action at Cold Harbor, Va., June 4,1864; discharged, May 30,1865, near Alexandria, Va.


South Kansas Tribune, March 23, 1921.

Sudden Death of Pioneer.

Last Thursday Register of Deeds Roscoe C. Horner had an unusually interesting letter from his father, Mark H. Horner, a pioneer of Havana and Caney township who has been making his home at the National Soldiers Home at Leavenworth, and answered it by next mail. But Monday came a telegram that his father was dead. He went there on the first train, and returned yesterday, to arrange for the funeral at Havana today, the remains coming in on the 8:00 o’clock train.

Mark H. Horner died suddenly, March 21, 1921. He was born in Angelica, Alleghany county, New York, where he grew to manhood, and answered the call of his country in its distressing needs of the Civil war by volunteering his enlistment in the First New York Dragoons, organized in Angelica, Alleghany county, New York and freely giving his best services to his county until the close of the war at which time he received his honorable discharge from the army of the United States.

In the early seventies Mr. Horner came to Montgomery county, Kansas, and bought a farm one and one-half miles southwest of Havana, where he continued to reside until recent years. One the first day of May, 1870 Mr. Horner was united in marriage to Miss Alvereta Campbell who preceded him in death passing away January 18, 1918.

Mark H. Horner was 78 years, 2 months and 8 days of age. He leaves three sons, S. C. of Bartlesville, Sheridan, near Havana, and Roscoe C. Horner of this city; also three brothers and two sisters who live in Angelica, New York. The funeral service was held in the church at Havana, March 23, at 3:00 o’clock, and the remains laid to rest in Havana cemetery beside his wife who preceded him to their long home. Rev. Howell, also of the pioneers, and an old friend of the family spoke of the high character and good citizenship of the deceased.

Military Record.

First New York, Dragoons.

Update 9-8-2012.

There was a miss spelling on the rosters, he was under Homer.

HOMER, MARCUS.— Age, 20 years. Enlisted, August 22,1864, at Angelica, N. Y.; mustered in as private, Co. G, September 1, 1864, to serve one year; wounded at Sailors Creek, Va., April 6, 1865; mustered out with company, June 30, 1865, at Clouds Mills, Va.


Jul 29, 1907

John Jersezy, father of J. F. Jersezy of this city, died at the home of his son yesterday evening about 6 o'clock. Death was caused by a cancer from which he had been a sufferer for some time.

Mr. Jersezy came to Chanute from Joplin a short time ago. He was 69 years of age, and was an old soldier, being a member of the New York artillery.

Military Record.

8th. Nwe York, Light Artillery Co.

JERSEZY, JOHN.—Age, 22 years1. Enlisted, January 20, 1862, at Delhi; mustered in as private, January 20, 1862, to serve three years; mustered out, January 21, 1865, at Norfolk, V a .


The Humboldt Union, Sept. 16, 1915.

Died: Sept. 10, 1915.


Leroy O. Ladd, son of John and Caroline Ladd, was born in Vermont March 24th, 1843, and died at his home in Logan Township September 10th, 1915, at the age of 72 years, 5 months and 17 days.

In 1849 he with his parents crossed over into the state of New York. Mr. Ladd enlisted in the 110th New York Infantry at the age of 18, and was honorably discharged at the end of his enlistment, September 1865, and returned to New York.

He was married to Miss Kate Dernick in 1866 and came to Kansas in 1868. His wife died in 1870, leaving a son, Lucius H. Ladd, of Woodson county.

In 1873 he was married to Mrs. Philena Jackson, who survives him. To this union were born nine children: Minnie (Ladd) Campbell who died February 27th, 1900, leaving two children: Effie (Ladd) Choguill, Cora (Ladd) Wood, Orlie Leroy who died at the age of two years, Edwin R. Gertrude (Ladd) Ashbrook, Ennis, Urbane and Leola.

The funeral services were conducted at the home Saturday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock, Rev. Megill officiating, and burial was in the Ellison cemetery.

Military Record.

110th., New York Infantry Co. D.

LADD, LEROY O.—Age, 21 years. Enlisted, August 9, 1862, at Hastings, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. D, August 11, 1862; mustered out with company, August 28, 1865, at Albany, N. Y.


The Winfield Tribune, Oct. 20, 1905

Died: Oct. 14, 1905.


One of the Founders of Winfield and Department Commander of G. A. R. Passes Away.

Col. Henry C. Loomis died at St. Mary’s hospital last Saturday afternoon at two o’clock. The news of his death, though not unexpected, cast a pall of gloom over the city and was received with universal sorrow.

Some weeks ago Colonel Loomis sustained a slight injury in his foot and as a result a peculiar gangrenous condition set in. His physicians, realizing the dangerous indications, besought the colonel to have his foot amputated but he hesitated and the poison penetrated his entire system. Last week he consented to the operation and it was performed, the patient rallying nicely from it and for the time giving promise of improvement. But the gain was only temporary and the relapse came Friday, the patient slowly sinking until the end came Saturday.

There was no more widely or popularly known man in the state than Colonel Loomis. In Winfield he was known and respected as the father of the city, and in her his interest centered as about an only child. He was one of the founders of the townsite in 1871, and for nearly thirty-six years he has been first and foremost in every enterprise that would build up and improve the city. Lodge and club life was his great hobby and he is nationally known in G. A. R. and Masonic circles.

Henry C. Loomis was the son of Bliss and Betsy Loomis of the town of Otto, in Cataragus county, New York, where he was born in a log house on March 16th 1834. His grand-father was an officer in the revolutionary war, and from him he inherited a love for the military life. While still a boy he became a member of a local military company and had served in it seven years when the war broke out. The company, as a whole, went into the sixty-forth New York infantry and with him as first lieutenant. He commanded the company at the battle of Fair Oaks, and while leading a charge against the confederates he was shot twice, once through the leg and once through the arm. That was the same time the place where Gen. O. O. Howard lost his arm.

Colonel Loomis, while at home recuperating after the sickness consequent of his wounds assisted in organizing the 154th New York infantry and became lieutenant colonel of it. He served gallantry through the remainder of the war, a fact which has been recognized by different Grand Army organizations, while serving as local post commander for some years, and as department commander of the state in 1903.

Colonel Loomis came to the valley of the Walnut in 1868 as a bridge builder. He saw the future of the country and in 1869 squatted on a piece of Osage land and held it until the government came in possession of it. More than 100 acres of original quarter-section is now included in the townsite of Winfield. He helped organize the county and was the first county clerk. He was an active, progressive and public-spirited citizen, and besides president of the Chautauqua assembly that has made Winfield famous, he served two terms as mayor, beginning in 1896.

Colonel Loomis was made a Master Mason in 1862 and remained a consistent member for forty-three years, during which time he advanced to the thirty-third or highest degree. He was the first Worshipful Master of Winfield Lodge. His honors did not cease there, for he has served as high priest of the Winfield chapter of Royal Arch Masons, eminent commander of the Knights Templars; worthy patron of Queen City chapter. Order of the Eastern Star; a Royal and Select Master Star; a Royal and Select Master in the Wichita Consistory; Inspector General of the Jurisdiction; Grand Standard Bearer of the Grand Commandary of Kansas; Grand Master Mason of the Blue Lodge Masons for Kansas, and honorary members of life of Isis Temple, A. A. O. M. M. S. In 1890 he became a member of the Scottish Rite bodies in this city, and he has been a consistant attendant at their meeting ever since

He was given a Scottish Rite funeral at the opera house Tuesday night at midnight. To these services only Masons and their families, G. A. R. and their families, and Red Men and their families were admitted.

The body layd in state Wednesday morning and at two o’clock Wednesday afternoon the public services were held. The Masons, G. A. R.’s, Knight Templar and escorts had charge of the services and the funeral oration was delivered by Rev. T. W. Jeffries, of Carthage, Missouri. The Wichita Consistory attended in a body and prominent Masonic and Grand Army friends from all over the state were present. Interment was made in Union cemetery.

Colonel Loomis’ wealth is estimated at between $12,000.00 and $15,000.00. Ed F. Nelson was appointed executor of the estate. Three thousand dollars of this has been reserved for a monument for himself; $500.00 executor’s fees; $300.00 to the O. E. A.’s, and the remainder given to J. H. McCall, of Wichita, and to J. C. Coulter, of the Western Veteran. The two last named were dear friends of Col. Loomis and helped him in his campaign for G. A R. post commander. His valuable watch, the one which he always carried him, he has left to Captain Charle Van Way. Many Masinic emblems, with papers and other material is to be given to private persons here in the city.

Military Record.

154th., New York, Infantry Co. F. & S.

LOOMIS, H E N R Y C.—Late first lieutenant, Sixty-fourth Infantry; mustered in as lieutenant-colonel, this regiment, September 21, 1862; discharged, May 30, 1863. Commissioned lieutenant-colonel, November 3, 1862, with rank from September 2, 1862, original.


The Council Grove Republican, Thursday, Jun. 20, 1907.

Died: Jun. 19, 1907.

Robt. McPherson Dead.

Robt. McPherson departed this life yesterday morning at 8:30, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. John Whitlow, with whom he had made his home for the past number of years, aged 74 years.

Mr. McPherson had been bedfast for many weeks and his death was due primarily by old age and a complication of diseases, he becoming aged fast on account of the hardships and exposures which he suffered in the Civil War.

Robt. McPherson was born in Genessee county, New York, and lived the early part of his life in that state.

He enlisted in 1862 in the United States army as a volunteer and was honorably discharged in 1864 as first Sargeant under Captain A. W. Starkweath, company C, first battalion of New York sharpshooters.

Sometime after the war he came to Michigan and made that his residence for a few years. He finally came to Kansas and has been a resident here for 35 years.

He was converted many years ago and joined the Presbyterian church of which he has been a faithful member since.

He leaves one brother, Wm. McPherson, of Marshal, Michigan; one sister, Mrs. Catherine Blue, of of Churchville, New York, and a host of friends in this city and in former residences, to morn his loss.

The funeral services will be held tomorrow afternoon 3 o’clock and Rev. Reed will preach the sermon. The G. A. R. will have charge.

Military Record.

First New York, Sharpshooters.

MePHERSON, ROBERT.—Age, 28 years. Enlisted, August 22, 1862, at Rochester; mustered in as private, Sixth Company, September IS, 1862, to serve three years; promoted sergeant, prior to April 10, 1863; first sergeant, date not stated; discharged, June 7, 1865, at Rochester, N . Y .


The Ness County News, Thursday, Oct. 3, 1908, Pg 4.

Vol. XXX, No 40


DIED:--Sunday night, September 27, 1908, at his home in this city, Alfred W. Miller, aged sixty-five years, six months and twenty-four days, after an illness of about five months.

Comrade Miller was one of the pioneers of Ness county, and was well and favorably known throughout the county for his sterling worth, good citizenship and pleasing personality. He first settled in Hodgeman county in 1878, but soon afterward removed to Ness county, which has been his home for about thirty years, his later years having been spent in Ness City, where he filled an important place in the affairs of his fellow townsmen.

He was married November 21, 1864, while on a furlough from the army, to Olive C. Smith, who with two sons, Louis T. and Volney T., survive him. Two other sons are dead.

The most prominent trait in Comrade Miller’s character was his intense patriotism and loyalty to his country, its laws and institutions, and his life was inspiration in these things to the rising generation.

Funeral services were held at the home Monday afternoon at four o’clock, conducted by Rev. O. M. Keve, who made a few touching remarks concerning the life and character of Comrade Miller after which the body wrapped in the flag he so loved, was followed to Fairview cemetery by sorrowing friends, comrades and neighbors, where it was laid to rest with the ritual services prescribed by the Grand Army of the Republic, Sherman Post No. 30, Department of Kansas, conducting them and the plaintive bugle call, ‘Lights Out” announced that another valiant soldier had gone to his last earthly sleep.

While much more could be written of Comrade Miller, it seems meet at this time to reproduce his own story of his life, prepared a decade ago, as follows.

* * *


Of Alfred W. Miller, while in the United States service in the War of the Rebellion, late Company I , 112 New York Volunteers, read before Sherman Post No. 30 Grand Army of the Republic, April 12, 1899:

The subject of this sketch was born in the town of Stockton county of Chatauqua in the state of New York, on the third day of March 1843, whose early life was spent upon a farm, who was educated in the common schools of his native town, with additional advantage of two terms in Fredonia Academy. In the summer of 1862 President Lincoln issued a call for three hundred thousand volunteers to aid in putting down the Rebellion, which had already developed a strength and persistency which effectively opened the eyes of a numerous class, which at the opening of the war, firmly believed that it would be of short duration. On the 7th of July, Governor Morgan issued his proclamation in response to President Lincoln’s call, expressing the hope that every true man through the state would do his utmost to place the quota of the state in the field at the earliest possible moment. It was at this time that I a youth of nineteen years, and fired with patriotic zeal, on the 26th day of August 1862, enlisted in Company I, 112 New York Volunteers, then forming wholly within my native county under the above named call.

The company (I) to which I belonged when mustered into the United States service numbered ninety-four men, and was originally commanded by Captain Oley, with L. J. Parker and C. A. Crane as its lieutenants. The regiment numbered about eleven hundred men, including a company of sharp shooters, which was originally attached to our regiment.

Colonelcy of our regiment was given to Captain Drake, who had already seen considerable service as captain in the 49th New York Volunteers. Colonel Drake assumed command of our regiment on the second day of September and on the 11th of September, 1862, amidst the booming of cannons, waving of flags, cheers of the people, intermingled with the tears of parting friends, the regiment took the cars and started south. First to Washington, and after a stop of two days, took transports to Norfolk. After landing took the cars to Suffolk, Virginia, at which place we arrived on the 19th of September, just in the edge of evening without guns, cartridges or tents, but ordered to hustle around and get them as quick as possible, for the Johnnies were expecting to make us a call before morning, to welcome some of us to hospitable graves and the rest to the hospitalities of the prison pen.

This prospect did not take well with the boys, but however, we hustled around and guns were given us, and soon we were out on the line to give the Johnnies, if they saw fit to visit us, a solid welcome, but we were happily disappointed in not receiving the promised visit.

The service of the regiment during the war might very properly be divided into three periods. First, the pick and spade period; second, the excursion period; third, the fighting period.

The pick and spade period began with getting into Suffolk, and ended with the siege of Suffolk; it was hard work and no glory; we acquired the enviable reputation of being General Peck’s pick regiment, General Peck being in command of the forces at Suffolk at this time.

The large daily drafts made on our regiment, often as high as 500, was calculated to abate our zeal, but the occasional trips we had to Black Water to ascertain the strength of the Johnnies relieved us somewhat of the irksome duties of the pick and shovel. Like the old French King we marched up the road and then marched down again, and some of the boys did no more marching. After one of the marches above referred to, while on duty as headquarters guard, I was suddenly taken sick, barely being able to walk to my tent. The surgeon pronounced my disease a very severe attack of typhoid fever, and expressed the belief that I could not recover, and he telegraphed my father that if he wished to see me alive he must come immediately. He came and with the help of a comrade who was detailed to take care of me, stayed with me until I was considered out of danger. I believe, and the doctor expressed the same belief that if I had been sent to the hospital, that I should not have recovered. I was taken sick about December 1st, 1862, and did not recover sufficiently to do any duty until March, 1863.

About this time the powers at Washington thought best to treat us to an excursion. It was decided that we should begin our military operations at the point where the war opened, where Fort Sumter was fired upon, and on the 27th of June, 1863, we got aboard the cars and arrived at Norfolk, Virginia, on the same day. For some cause unknown to myself a change of movement was made, and we were ordered to make a feint movement toward Richmond. About July 1st we struck tents and marched to King William’s court house, then to Hanover court house, at which place we had quite a lively skirmish, and then to the White House landing.

These marches were continued with more or less lively bouts with the Johnny rebs until the first of August, which date found us again in Portsmouth, Virginia, which place lies directly across the river from Norfolk. On the 3d of August we got aboard the transport, Escort, and started for Charleston, South Carolina. We landed on Foley island near, Charleston, on the 6th. When we got to Foley Island we were in the midst of a perfectly royal community.

The division to which we belonged had a whole island to itself not a reb on it. The little island of Foley was a doleful spot; terrible sickness prevailed; the hospitals were the most flourishing institutions on the island; it was a very paradise for young doctors—provided they could live through it themselves. Many here succumbed to disease and many lives were saved only by getting away.

It was here I after about two months residence, incurred that terrible disease, chronic diarrhea, and which stuck by me closer than a brother, until after discharge. We operated at Foley, Morris, Block and the adjoining islands, witnessing and taking an active part in the bombardment of Fort Sumter, Fort Wagner and shelling of Charleston.

On the 23d day of February, 1864, we got aboard the transport, Ben Defort, and on the morning of the 24th we bade farwell to our late disease infected home and started for Jacksonville, Florida, at which place we arrived on the afternoon of the 25th. Why we were sent here I have never been able to understand. We certainly were not molested by the Johnnies while in Florida, and consequently saw no fighting while there, but perhaps it was for the purpose of recuperating the health of the regiment, as I can positively say my health was much improved while there.

On the 21st of April, 1864, we again took the transport, Cossack, for Hilton Head, at which place we arrived on the 22d and reshipped on the steamer, Ericsson, for Fortress Monroe, at which place we landed on the 26th. We soon after rejoined the army on the Potomac at which date I might style the fighting period of the regiment had begun. Our camp was established at this time at Bermuda Hundred, Virginia. We had prior to this marched through Yorktown, City Point, back to Fortress Monroe, then to Bermuda Hundred, meanwhile being in a few lively skirmishes. General Ben Butler was our commanding officer.

On the 28th day of May we got the transport and went down the James river to Fortress Monroe, then up the York river to West Point, then up the Pamunky river to White House, then by forced march to reenforce Grant and arrived at Cold Harbor on June 1. Here I participated in what might be called my first real battle. I will not attempt to describe the carnage of that day, but suffice it to say that with scarcely any warning, our brigade was ordered to charge on the rebel line, and after a forced march of two days, within less than fifteen minutes after taking our position on the line and about four o’clock in the afternoon, we made the charge. Our regiment at that time was only 200 strong. The official count states that 153 men out of the 300 of our regiment, who wen into the fight, were killed or wounded.

Here our brave Colonel Drake was killed, and so many of the officers, that the junior Captain was in command of the regiment before the close of the fight that day. I myself was undoubtedly saved from death by a Minnie ball striking my watch and glancing off, which was directly over my heart.

On the 11th we were again sent back, nearly over the same road we came; on the 14th were at Bermuda Hundred. There we joined the army in front of Petersburg. Our service there was most tedious, exacting and perilous. In hot July in the rifle pits and bomb proofs, where no breath of air came to relieve the deathly heat, men sweat like rain when they lay down, and to raise the head above the parapet in the day time was sure death. All charges were made in the night. It was here and in the latter part of August that my disease became more aggravated and I was sent to the field hospital, and from there about the middle of September to general hospital at Jones landing. I had now become entirely prostrated from the effects of my disease together with the hardships I had undergone in trying to do my duty as a soldier. I was assigned to ward five, section six, at which place, I firmly believed I should end my days. But a kind and merciful providence ordered otherwise.

On the 31st of October, 1864, orders came to the hospital that all who were able to travel could have a fifteen-day furlough. That order, comrades I firmly believe, did me more good than all the medicine I ever took. It did me so much good that I soon was out of bed and I told the doctor I was lots better. He smiled and said that if I could stand the trip perhaps it would do me more good than his medicine. The fact was, comrades, I really wanted to go home and I wanted to go bad. Well, I got my furlough, and with the help of a comrade, who was stronger, and who was going to the same place, finally reached home safely on the 3d of September, 1864. In referring to my diary of that date, I find this recorded; “Home sweet, sweet home,” and I believe that I could write that at that time and fully appreciate the meaning. I had become reduced to a mere shell of my former self, only weighing at that time 90 pounds. While at home I had the pleasure of casting my vote for Abraham Lincoln, that grand old patriot who safely brought the country through the most trying times this country ever witnessed, and who at last fell at the hands of the assassin John Wilkes Booth.

When my furlough expired my physician secured an extension of 30 days and still another extension was granted, so that I was at home until the 21st of February, 1865. On the 24th of November, 1864, I was married to my present wife, and I want to say right here, that I have never regretted this step.

As before stated, I again bade farewell to home and friends on the 21st of February. I first reported to the hospital which I left on going home, and after a dreary delay finally reached the regiment on the 14th of March, 1865, which I found at Wilmington, North Carolina. After staying with the regiment and doing mostly light duty, on the second day of April, while at Faison Station, I received a detail as Ordinance Sergeant of the 10th army corps, General Terry commanding. From this time until the close of the war, I have no reason to complain of the hardships of my war experience. My duties were mostly clerical in having charge of ordinance stores, filling regulations and receiving ordanance at the close of the war, making out headquarters at Raleigh, North Carolina, at which place we were mustered out of the service on the 12th of June 1865, and arrived home June 21st, where I found wife and friends well.

Military Record.

112tn., New York Infantry Co. I.

MILLEE, ALFBED W.—Age, 19 years. Enlisted, August 26, 1862, at Stockton, to serve three years; mustered in as private, Co. I, September 1, 1862; mustered out with company, June 13, 1865, at Raleigh, N . C.


Buried in Evergreen Cemetery, Fort Scott, Bourbon Co., KS.

William G. Cutler's History of the State of Kansas


J. P. ROBENS, proprietor of the West End Grocery and China Emporium, Fort Scott, Kan., he was a native of Northumberland, Saratoga Co., N.Y., born in February, 1840. In 1862 he enlisted in the Seventy-seventh "Bemis Heights" regiment New York Volunteers as a private, was transferred and promoted to the rank of First Lieutenant Company E, One Hundred and Seventy-sixth New York Volunteers, better known as the "Ironsides" regiment; was with Banks in the "Gulf Department," was captured at Brashear City in June, 1863, taken to Tyler, Texas, was exchanged July, 1864. Was married in 1866 Miss Labor of Lockport, N.Y., moved to Missouri in 1868, and to Fort Scott in 1870, embarking in the grocery business. By diligence and enterprise his business has grown into large proportions. He carries a stock of $10,000 to $12,000, and has a yearly trade of over $30,000. Mr. Robens has been in the city council for a number of years, and is at the present time Treasurer of the Board of Education for the city. It was largely through his efforts that the compromising of the city indebtedness was secured on a basis at once honorable to the city and to her creditors. In all matters relating to public enterprise he is liberal and enthusiastic.

Military Record.

176th. New York, Infantry Co. E.

ROBENS, J O H N P.—Age, 21 years. Enrolled at New York city, to serve nine months, and mustered i n as first lieutenant, Co. E, December 18, 1862; captured in action, June 23, 1863, at Brashear City, L a . ; paroled, July 24, 18.64; mustered out, July 29, 1864.


The Burlingame Enterprise, Thursday, Nov. 26, 1908, Pg 1

Vol. XIV, No. 6.

Henry C. Scott.

H. C. Scott, who for almost two decades has been a citizen of Burlingame and a prominent factor in the later history of the town, died at his home a mile north of town on Wednesday, November 18. Mr. Scott has been in failing health for the past two years, but was able to be about until very recently and withal his demise occurred almost without warning.

Henry Clay Scott was born April 17, 1831, in East Smithfield, Pennsylvania, aged at his death 77 years, 7 months and 1 day. He was married in Smithfield, November 11, 1863, to Olive A. Niles. Mr. Scott served for two years in the Union army in Co. A, of the Twenty-third New York Volunteer Infantry. In his early life he learned the carpenter’s trade. At the close of the war he and his family moved from Pennsylvania to Turner Junction, Ill. Here he engaged in farming till 1870, when they moved to Burlingame, Kansas. Three children were born to them, Clinton Sherman, Ernest Farwell and Willard Wood. Only a few month after coming to Burlingame and on July 28, 1870, Mrs. Scott died, and in July 1871 the son, Willard, passed away.

On September 11, 1882, Mr. Scott was united in marriage to Nellie S. Russell, in Ontario, New York, who had formerly been engaged in teaching school in Burlingame. Mrs. Scott and the two sons, Clinton, of Phoenix, Arizona, and Ernest of Burlingame, remain to the immediate family to mourn the loss of the husband and father.

Mr. Scott was a man whom it was good to know. His general bearing was that of kindly interest in the affairs of others, of good will for all, of activity, enterprise and unbounded faith in the interests of his own home and business. His was not a nature for moroseness, nor did adversity or trouble affect his genial character. He was an Odd Fellow of more than thirty years standing and to him fraternity meant much. The lodge of I. O. O. F., No. 14, together with E. P. Sheldon Post No. 35, G. A. R. attended the funeral which was held at the farm home, Friday afternoon at 2 o’clock, Rev. C. E. Flanagin, officiating.

Military Record.

23rd., New York Infantry Co. E.

SCOTT, H E N R Y C—Age, 36 years. Enlisted, May 6, 1861, at Waverly, to serve two years; mustered in as corporal, Co. E, May 16, 1861; mustered out with company, May 22, 1863, at Elmira, N . Y .


The El Dorado Republican, Friday, Dec. 21, 1900

Died: Dec. 17, 1900.

Death of Comrade Seymour.

Comrade M. D. Seymour, who was taken ill last Thursday, died this morning at ten o’clock at his residence in this city. Mr. Seymour served his country during the civil war and was a faithful soldier. He has been called above to serve his Lord and Master.

The deceased leaves a wife and one son to mourn his loss which is all the more severe as it was not expected. The son, Herbert, is in Colorado and may not be able to get here for the funeral which will take place Tuesday from his late residence at two o’clock, Rev. Wharton and the G. A. R. Post will have the services in charge. Interment will be made in the west cemetery.

Mr. Seymour has lived in this county a number of years, having run a hotel here in an early day. He also run a hotel at Douglass for several years.

Military Record.

8th., New York, Cavalry Co.

SEYMOUR, MORRILL D.—Age, 27 years. Enlist d, October 24, 1861, at Sodus; musitered in as private, Go. O, November 27, 1861, to serve three years; captured at Harper's Ferry, Va., September 15, 1862; released, date not stated; mustered out, December 8, 1864, at Rochester, N. Y.



Anonymous said...

Dennis, Under your story on Marcus Horner, 1st NY Dragoons,he is listed in the Regt. History under Marcus Homer. When he printed his name, the r and n were connected.
thanks, Tom W (Civil War Resear-cher, 1st NY Dragoons)

Dennis Segelquist said...

Thank you!, the record has been up dated. I hope you were talking abbout Mark H.Your host.