Monday, August 20, 2012


CAPTAIN HENRY A. HUBBARD, was born at Ludlow, Mass., Aug. 25, 1836. His father was a citizen of official prominence in that town, while his mother was a Brainerd of Haddam, Conn., and near of kin to the missionary Rev. David Brainerd. The early life of Capt. Hubbard was passed upon a farm, in which time he not only studiously improved his opportunities at the public schools, but forced the hours when employed in manual to contribute to his store of knowledge. He fastened his book upon the plough and studied as he turned the soil, or left it at a convenient nook in the fence as he hoed the field, grasping some new advance upon each return. By teaching during the winter he secured means to prosecute his studies at Wilbraham Wesleyan Academy, and graduated therefrom with high honors. He continued his studies a year at Amherst College, and afterwards for a time at Union College, Schenectady, N. Y., but, deciding upon the legal profession, left the latter and entered the office of Beach & Bond, Spring field, Mass. Poetry was his delight, Milton s " Lycidas " his favorite ; and the hours after his daily toil were spent in close companionship with the choicest of American and English poets.

While engrossed with legal tomes, he united with the Union Guard of Springfield, and soon became adept in military tactics. Upon the opening of hostilities he rallied his Ludlow neighbors and friends and drilled them in the " School of Soldiers," preparatory to the call he felt sure must come. When the raising of the Twenty-Seventh Regiment was authorized, Col. Lee commissioned him to recruit for that organization, and the- filling of the ranks of the Ludlow company so promptly was due mainly to his zeal and magnetism. He was mustered as captain Oct. 1G, 1861, and continued with his command until their arrival with the Burnside Expedition at Matte ras Inlet, N. C. Here he contracted a serious and prolonged illness, from exposure. He remained upon the schooner "Recruit," and during the battle of Roanoke Island Avas on Croatan Sound just beyond reach of  the enemy s guns. He heard our first cheer of victory, but died Feb. 12, 1862, just after the return of the regiment to the vessel. Though prevented from paiticipating in battle, he died as really a martyr in his country s cause as if he had fallen amid the carnage of battle. His remains were buried Avith military honors at Ludlow, Mass., Feb. 24, 1862, under escort of his old comrades of the Union Guard. October 16th, two Aveeks previous to his departure for the seat of Avar, he was married to Annie, daughter of Deacon Booth of Lud low. His Avidow still survives him.


Among those left sick upon the "Recruit "on debarking the 7th, was Capt. Hubbard of Company I, who had been prostrated some four weeks with sickness, but with no antici pation of immediate danger. On the morning of the 12th
his disease resulted in death.

1 comment:

Don_Wilbraham said...

Thank you for this informative piece on a local hero from the Civil War!
The Hubbard Memorial Library in Ludlow is named after him.

Don Williams
Wilbraham, MA