Tuesday, August 07, 2012

Varnum H. Dawley Rhode Island.

Varnum Hoxie Dawley, son of Thomas Hopkins and Mary Nye Dawley, was born in Exeter, R. I., Jan. 27, 1844. He had three brothers and two sisters. When the organization of the Seventh was undertaken, he was employed on a farm in North Providence. Early one August morning he ceased work, went to his father in Eixeter and obtained a permit to enlist which he utilized at Wickford, Aug. 9, 1862, and reached Camp Bliss next day. He was never wounded, never secured a furlough, nor was absent from the regiment except when on detached duty at the ordnance department at Camp Nelson, Ky., from December, 1863, to March, 1864. Mr. Dawley married April 1.1866, Hannah Elizabeth, daughter of Amos and Hannah Mumford Sherman Palmer. They had two sons and one daughter, Jennie Elizabeth, who alone suryiyee. In 1875 he accepted the position of section foreman at East Greenwich, R. I., for the New York, Providence, and Boston Railroad Company, which he retained until January, 1892, when he became ill from rheumatic fever which disabled him for several months.  In June he entered the wholesale store of George M. Griffin ft Co., Providence, where he is now presont employed.

 Dawley, Vebnon H. {alias Vabnum H.). Residence, Exeter; enrolled Aug. 9, 1862; Mustered in Sept. 4; transferred to Co. I.; Mustered out June 9.

The following passages come from the 7th., Rhode Island Infantry Regimental History.

Wednesday, 1st. Reveille sounded at four a. m. While the days are very hot the nights are agreeably cool and the air quite damp, so much so that every morning the men hang their blankets in the sun to dry. This morning Varnum H. Dawley treated his blanket as usual and then returned to his tent for his knapsack. As he raised it he discovered beneath a large coiled rattlesnake which instantly gave a shrill rattle. Dawley naturally was considerably surprised, and, as this was the first time he had met one at home, he promptly retired outside. Arming himself with a club he cautiously advanced and investigated. After a vigorous combat he slew his unwelcome guest, which proved to be three and a half feet long and posseaaed of eighteen rattles. These have been carefully preserved as a reminder of
the night when he slept with a rattler under his knapsack pillow.

Wednesday, 8th. Six crossed at a time on a raft, at each end of which was a rope connected with the proximate shore. Varnum H. Dawley was one of those stationed at either end of the raft, and, by means of a punting pole, assisted those hauling at ropes from terra firma. The distance was a number of rods, the water very deep and dark and the current strong.  Meanwhile a second tempest of almost equal severity burst upon us, but all we could do was simply to stand and brave its fury. When daylight appeared the entire regiment had been safely transferred to the farther shore.

1 comment:

Evanna Anne P. said...

I like your work