Monday, December 30, 2013
Captain Lucius Cary Anderson, W. Virginia.
CAPT. LUCIUS CARY ANDERSON.
deceased, who, for many years was identified with the practical operating of the C. & O. Railroad, in Kanawha county, W. Va., and was a veteran of the Civil war, having served in the Confederate army in the noted regiment, the Richmond Howitzers, was a man whose sterling qualities were recognized by all who knew him and whose genial nature won and kept friends. His title was one that was given him by his railroad associates, in recognition of his fidelity and efficiency in that connection.
Lucius Cary Anderson was born April 26, 1837, in Hanover county, Va., and his death occurred at Charleston, W. Va., July 3, 1888. His father, John P. Anderson, was a native of Virginia and prior to the Civil war he was a slave owner and his large plantation was called Verdon, the station of that name being still so known on the C. & O. Railroad. The mother of Lucius Cary Anderson was a member of the old Doswell family of Hanover county, and they reared a large family, Lucius Cary
being one of the intermediate members. He was reared and educated in Hanover county and in early manhood became a hardware merchant at Richmond. After his father's death he turned his attention to railroading and subsequently was made conductor on the C. & O. line and he continued as such until within eighteen months of his death.
His efficiency was evidenced by the fact that during his many years of service, no accident ever occurred where he had control and not one dollar of railroad property was ever destroyed. His courtesy and unfailing good humor made him a general favorite with the traveling public. His military service continued through the Civil war and he was with his regiment when General Lee surrendered at Appomattox. He then returned home and resumed peaceful pursuits and his subsequent life proved that he was as reliable in these surroundings as he had been on the field of battle. He was once slightly wounded, but otherwise escaped the many hazards of war.
At Staunton, Va., Capt. Anderson was married to Miss Mabel Peyton, who was born at Charlottesville, Albermarle County, Va., and was carefully educated in a convent school, where she remained for seven years. Since the death of her husband she has resided at No. 212 1-2 Broad street, Charleston. She is a member of the Baptist church, as was her husband. Two children were born to Captain and Mrs. Anderson, namely : Ella Howard, born at Huntington, W. Va., who was educated >at Charleston, and is a very expert stenographer, residing at home ; and Bernard Peyton, who is a student also of the Charleston high school, and resides with mother and sister. He is now one of chief clerks for the Capitol City Supply Company.
Mrs. Anderson was the only daughter born in a family of four children to her parents, the late Col. John Bernard and Isabel (Howard) Peyton. These names belong to Virginia's earliest history. Colonel Peyton was one of a family of ten sons born to his parents, all of whom were natives of Albemarle county, born at Park Hill, which was the name of the old Peyton plantation. Seven of the Peyton
sons served in the Confederate army and all returned home without injury with one exception, he losing an arm but not his life. Colonel Peyton gained recognition for his bravery as a soldier and he was equally honored in times of peace. For some years after the war he was chief clerk in the Virginia legislature and after settling at Charleston, in 1871, he was made chief clerk of the West Virginia legislature and was thus engaged at the time of his death.-