Sunday, April 20, 2014

James S. Daskam, Iowa.

James S. Daskam, postmaster, and dealer in general merchandise, Kendallville; was born in Chemung County, N. Y., in 1841. In 1846 his parents moved to McHenry County, Illinois and engaged at farming; came to this state in 1854 and located in Burr Oak township, and entered a quarter section of government land; he remained with his parents on the home farm until the breaking out of the late war, when he enlisted at Decorah in Co. D, 3d lo. Inf., under Captain Willetts, and served his term of three years and then re-enlisted as a veteran, and participated in several of the important battles during the war He received a severe shot wound in the leg at Shiloh, and afterwards at Atlanta, July 21, 1864, he received a gun-shot wound in the left shoulder, which disabled him. He started to return home, and was obliged to lay up at the hospital at Madison, Wisconsin, and remained there until he received his discharge, May 23, 1865.

He returned to Iowa and farmed two years in this township, and then bought land in Orleans township, and farmed there six years; he then sold it and purchased an interest in the business at this place with Mr. Fifield, whose interest he afterwards bought, and has since conducted the same himself. He owns the building and lot, carries a well selected stock of general merchandise, and has established a good business. He received his appointment as postmaster in 1876 to succeed F. Gr. Hale, and still fills that position.

He was married in 1865 in this township, to Miss Henrietta N. Eddy, and they have five children, Emma, Allyn, John, Alson and Frances. Hiram D. Daskam (brother) enlisted in April, 1861, in Co. D, 3d lo. Inf., under Capt. Willetts; was taken prisoner near Atlanta, Ga., after a three days' fight, and was imprisoned at Andersonville, and experienced all the horrors of that notorious place. He escaped with others from the train when being transferred from there to Florence, by jumping from the cars, but was captured by a picket guard they run on to in attempting to cross the Nortii River.

He was then taken to Wilmington, North Carolina, and from there was started again for Florence, and again succeeded in getting away, but was again recaptured and started for Charlotte, S. C, He again escaped was again recaptured, and on the return to Charlotte once more escaped, this time succeeding in reaching the Union lines. He received his discharge near Washington at the close of the war. He died near Muir, Ionia County, Michigan, in the winter of 1870, from disease contracted through his privations in the army.

No comments: