Sunday, July 20, 2014

George Love, Tennessee.

Second Tennessee C. S. A. Cavalry, Regiment al History.

Push to enlarge.
George Love, son of James F. and Maria Love, was born October i8th, 1835, in Sumner County, Tennessee, five miles north of Gallatin. He was raised on the farm, and educated at the Wallace School- house, near his father's residence.

When about eighteen years old he commenced business as a clerk for William Moore, who kept a family grocery at Gallatin. After clerking for Mr. Moore for about two years, he was next a clerk in Parker & Holder's dry goods house for about three years. He went from Gallatin to Nashville in 1858, and did business there for John Ramage & Son {boot and shoe business) until the breaking out of the late war.

George Love entered the Confederate service as Second Lieutenant in Captain H. B. Boude"s company, which, on the 19th of October, 1 86 1, became Company A of the Seventh Battalion of Tennessee Cavalry. He served as second lieutenant under Captain Boude  until after the battle of Shiloh.

Near Fulton, Mississippi, on the 12th of June, 1862, Boude's and Tyree's companies were consolidated, and William T. Rickman was made captain, and the subject of this sketch was made first lieutenant of this consolidated company, which, at the same time and place, became Company D of the Second Tennessee Cavalry.

After passing through many hard-fought battles, always doing his full duty. Lieutenant Love fell, mortally wounded, while so daringly breasting the missiles of death at Fort Pillow on the 12th of April, 1864. Being rather retiring and unassuming, though generous, kind, and obliging, he had won many friends, and, therefore, he was much missed and greatly lamented, not only by his own company, but all of the regiment.

I take the following from the Manuscript Notes of Colonel Barteau:

"A singular instance of a premonition of death occurred in the case of Lieutenant Love. As an officer, he was popular with his men, and always calm and fearless at the post of duty. Li the morning he called several of his company around him and told them, in a quiet manner, that he should be killed that day. He gave directions for the disposal, among the command, of his horse and little posses sions, arranged for the payment of his small debts, and wrote a farewell letter to his orphan sister, living at Gallatin, Tennessee. 

"He led his company on, and at eleven o'clock was laid low by a canister shot from one of the enemy's guns. We buried him the next morning. His memory lives in the hearts of all his surviving comrades, and the regiment could boast of no braver soldier or better man."

No comments: