Tuesday, October 06, 2015

Daniel Farrar, M. D.

Push to enlarge.

Dr  Daniel W. Farrar.

Birth: 1835, Troy, Cheshire County, New Hampshire.
Death: Jun. 3, 1875, Leominster, Worcester County, Massachusetts.

Son of Daniel W. and Betsey Farrar.

Wife: Caroline A Fairbanks Farrar (1836 - 1928).

Children: Edward B. Farrar (1867 - 1935), Gertrude Eliza Farrar (1870 - 1937).

Burial: Evergreen Cemetery, Leominster, Worcester County, Massachusetts.

Daniel Farrar, M. D., was born in Troy and was the sixth physician to locate in the town. He graduated from the Harvard Medical School in the spring of 1862. He was appointed Assistant Surgeon of the Third New Hampshire Regiment, Ang. 13, 1862, and arrived at the regiment about the middle of September, 1862. His jjosition at this time was an anomalous one, as in his appointment a vacancy was anticipated in the medical staff and soon after occurred. He began his duties at once and performed them well. In the spring of 1868, the regiment was scattered, two companies being at Hilton Head, S. C, seven companies were at Pickney Island and one company at Pope's.

Dr. Farrar remained \vith the two companies at Hilton Head, on April 15, 1863, after the regiment had gone to Edisto Island, Dr. Farrar was ordered to special duty, taking charge of the sick at the outposts of Hilton Head (Seabrook, Fort Mitchel, Pope's, Jenkin's Island and Spanish Wells), with headquarters at Pope's. He had scarcely entered upon these duties when he was relieved by an order relieving everybody in the brigade of which the Third New Hampshire was a part.

He rejoined the regiment at Edisto River, and not being in good health very soon after sent in his resignation, Which was not accepted. He repeated the act at once and was honorabh discharged, on surgeon's certificate of disability, at Botany Bay Island, on May 4, 1863. Upon his return home he commenced practice here. Not being Physically strong he could not endure the rides over this hilly country, and he gave up his practice sometime in 1865, and afterwards removed to Leominster, Mass., where he continued in practice till his death, June 3, 1875.

No comments: