Friday, July 31, 2009

Colonel August V. Kautz.

Born in Ispringen, Baden, Germany, Kautz as a young boy immigrated with his parents to Brown County, Ohio. He later enlisted as a Private in the 1st Ohio Infantry during the Mexican-American War.

August V. Kautz. promotion time line.

Fourth Regiment of Infantry.
Second Lieutenant August V. Kautz to be first lieutenant, December 4, 1855.

Third Regiment of Cavalry.
First Lieutenant August V. Kautz, of the Fourth Infantry, to be captain, May 14, 1861.


Colonel August V. Kautz, of the Second Ohio Cavalry, and captain in the Sixth U. S. Cavalry, to be brigadier-general.

Brigadier-General August V. Kautz, United States Volunteers, for gallant and meritorious services during the present campaign against Richmond, Virginia, to date from October 28, 1864.


Brevet Brigadier-General August V. Kautz, captain of the Sixth Regimen United States Cavalry, for gallant and meritorious services in the field during the war, to date from March 13, 1865.


Captain August V. Kautz, of the Sixth Regiment United States Cavalry, to be major by brevet, for gallant and meritorious services in action at Monticello, Kentucky, to date from June 9, 1863; to be lieutenant-colonel by brevet, for gallant and meritorious services in an attack on Petersburg, Virginia, to date from June 9, 1864; and to be colonel by brevet, for gallant and meritorious services in action on the Darbytown road, Virginia, to date from, October 7, 1864.


Eight Regiment of Infantry.
Lieut. Col. August V. Kautz, of the Fifteenth Infantry, to be colonel, June 8, 1874

Numbers 2. Report of Colonel August V. Kautz, Second Ohio Cavalry, commanding brigade.

Somerset, Ky., June 11, 1863.

SIR: I have the honor to report that, in obedience to verbal orders from the general commanding the division to make a demonstration against the enemy in the direction of Monticello, I left camp on the evening of the 8th instant, with detachments consisting of about 180 men of the Second Ohio Cavalry, about 200 of the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, about 70 of the Forty-fifth Ohio Mounted Infantry, and four pieces of Law's mountain howitzer battery, in all little more than 400 men, not including the battery.

I crossed the Cumberland River at Waitsborough, and bivouacked 3 miles beyond, without disturbing the enemy's pickets. Soon after daylight on the morning of the 9th, I moved on toward Monticello. At the intersection of the Mill Springs road at West's, I was joined by Lieutenant-Colonel Adams, with detachments of the Second Tennessee and Forty-fifth Ohio Mounted Infantry, numbering a little more than 300 effective men. Here I learned that between one and two hours previous Colonel Adams had driven away the rebel pickets form West's capturing 6 at Mill Springs. This was, unfortunately, too soon, as it gave the enemy, and, with the loss of 3 wounded on our part, they retired, leaving 2 dead and 1 officer wounded on the field. We pursued the enemy, skirmishing at intervals, without further lesson our side, through Monticelo, and drove them beyond Beaver Creek. In Monticello we captured 120 rounds of fixed ammunition and between 50 and 100 small-arms, which were either appropriated or destroyed.

We held the town for several hours, and about 1 p. m. commenced falling back. Between 4 and 5 p. m., when we had returned to West's I received information that the enemy had attacked the rear guard in overpowering force. I had made arrangements to go into camp, and a single company of the Second Tennessee only was available, which I marched a half mile to the rear, and met the rear guard retiring in some confusion. I had only time to put this company in position before the enemy appeared through the woods, and this advance not [being] immediately checked, the rear guard was rallied, and with only about 200 men the enemy was driven back over a mile through the dense timber, where they took up a position behind a stone wall, compelling us to fall back a few hundred yards out of range. The enemy rallied, and sought in turn to drive us back. By this time re-enforcements of the Seventh Ohio Cavalry and Second Tennessee and a section of howitzers arrived, and the enemy were again severely checked and fell back. Night now interposed, and, gathering up the dead and wounded that could be found in the darkness, we fell back to West's, and soon after to Simpson's Creek, where we encamped.

Early on the morning of the 10th, I returned with the command to the north bank of the Cumberland. The enemy made no attempt at pursuit. Lieutenant-Colonel Adams had recrossed the river at Mill Springs, before the enemy made the attack, and it was too near night to obtain his support. Colonel Carter had, however, arrived with six companies of the Second Tennessee, and this timely arrival enabled us finally to repulse the enemy. My heartiest thanks are due to Colonel Carter for his aid and assistance. My heartiest thanks are due to Colonel Carter for his aid and assistance. He generously waived his rank, and permitted me to control and direct the troops during the engagement. Colonel Carter's horse was wounded.

Colonel Garrad commanded the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, Major Purington the Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, and Captain Scott the Forty-fifth Ohio Infantry. These officers all gave me the most prompt and cordial support. Officers and men behaved with the greatest gallantry. I must not forget to mention the gallant conduct of Private Jesse Law, commanding the howitzer battery. This man well deserves a commission, and has been recommended for promotion.

The affair, in substance, was an effort on the part of the enemy to overwhelm the rear guard, in which they were repulsed. The enemy greatly outnumbered our forces, and the contest, for the numbers engaged, was exceedingly severe. Our loss was 7 killed or mortally wounded, 6 reported missing, and 34 wounded, the majority slightly. I regret to say, however, that Lieutenant Case, one of my most gallant officers, is among the dangerously wounded. With regard to the enemy, no definite knowledge of their actual loss has been ascertained, but 5 of their dead, 5 of their wounded, and 16 prisoners, including a lieutenant not wounded, fell into our hands. These losses include the whole day's operations. Rebel prisoners stated that we engaged portions of five regiments of Pegram's brigade.

I would respectful call the attention of the general to the demoralizing tendency of uniting so many different detachments in one command. Whatever [there was] of temporary confusion or want of concert was due to this fact. One regiment containing the same number of men would have been much more effective. Surgeon Smith, Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, who was left at West's to look after the wounded, reports that the enemy sent a flag of truce to the battle-ground in the night, and thus discovered that we did not hold it. The enemy's loss is believed to be much greater than ours.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Colonel Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, Commanding Brigade.

Numbers 9. Report of Colonel August V. Kautz, Second Ohio Cavalry, commanding cavalry Brigade.

HDQRS. 1ST CAV. Brigadier, 3rd DIV., 23rd ARMY CORPS,
Lexington, Ky., August 11, 1863.

I have the honor to report taken by my command, consisting of the Second and Seventh Ohio Cavalry, in the pursuit and capture of General Morgan's forces, recently in Ohio.

At Winchester, Adams, County, Ohio, on the morning of the 16th of July, 1 was directed by general Hobson to press on with my command as fast as possible, and crowd the enemy as much as possible, without reference to the other forces engaged in the pursuit. I reached Jasper at 11 p. m., and there found my progress obstructed by the destruction of the brigade across the Scioto Canal. Five or six hours were requited to construct a bridge sufficient for the command to cross on the following morning, and it was therefore after night, on the 17th, when I reached Jackson. Anticipating an all-night march on the following night, I rested at Jackson until 3 a. m. on the 18th. I was joined at Jackson by Colonel Sanders, with detachments of the Eighth and Ninth Nichigan cavalry and two pieces of artillery. At Rutland I got reliable information that Morgan intended to cross the Ohio River at Buffington Island, and, halting only to feed and refresh the men, I pushed on through Chester, and followed the enemy on the Chester and Portland road. Soon after daylight the enemy's pickets fired on our advance about 2 miles from Portland. Believing the enemy to be crossing the Ohio, I decided to attack immediately, hoping to disconcert the enemy thereby, through I could not parade more than 200 men.

Colonel Sanders was an hour behind with the artillery, and General Shackelford could not be much nearer than Chester, 12 or 14 miles distant. I had reason to believe that General Judah was not far off, and that the gunboats be near on the river, but I had no reliable information when either would be on hand.

The Second and Seventh were dismounted and deployed as skirmishers, and the enemy driven out of the woods, when the artillery and Colonel Sander's command came up. The artillery was immediately opened and the enemy soon began a precipitate retreat, as, about the same time, we heard artillery on the right, and soon after the heavier guns of the gunboats, and the retreat soon degenerated into a general rout.

Colonel Sanders was directed to pursue with the Eight and Ninth Michigan Cavalry, whilst I sent a dispatch to the rear that the enemy had retreated up the river, and recommended that they be intercepted on some cross-roads, as the Chester and Portland road runs nearly parallel to the river. The necessity of rest and refreshment prevented immediate pursuit by my command.

If the afternoon I was directed to report to General Shackelford, who had moved to intercept Morgan, but did not reach his command until the next evening, near Cheshire, about 60 miles distant by the route we traveled, just as the main body of General Morgan's forces were surrounding. Here the pursuit with my command closed, except about 40 men of the Second, under Captain Ulrey, that were present in the pursuit and capture of General Morgan Himself, a week later.

The particular work accomplished by my command in this affair was the continuous march from Jackson to Portland, a distance of nearly 70 miles, in less than hours, and coming upon eh enemy in time to prevent his orderly retreat front the river if molested by other forces, and the spirited attack of the men that induced the enemy to believe that General Hobson's entire force was at hand, thus causing in a great measure their disorderly retreat.

Colonel Sanders will make a report direct to you of his spirited pursuit of the rebels and the capture of their artillery.

Colonel Garrard commanded the Seventh and Lieutenant-Colonel Purington command the Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry. The conduct of both these officers was without reproach, and they aided me materially by their advice.

Lieutenant Long, of the Seventh Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, performed valuable service by blockading the Hocking River roads, which compelled Morgan to turn back toward Cheshire. He had been dispatched on the 16th with some men to Chillicothe to take the railroad and get in advance of the raiders.

Our loss was 1 man killed, accidentally, by the only militiaman present with my command, and another severally wounded, both of the Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry.

The enemy made no opposition or defense, except a few shots from skirmishers, but field precipitately when the artillery opened.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
Colonel Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry,

No comments: