Friday, July 17, 2009

Rebel's That Sailed The British Isles.

In the last week I have done three posts on what the Confederacy and their rebel agents were doing in London and the British Isles. It is know that the Confederacy was trying to get ships arms and supplies for their navy and army. A lot is know about the movements of the ships and their rebel agents, but there are missing bits and pieces known only to the men who sailed on them. The rebel movements were being watch closely by the British Government and reports were sent on ahead to the next port, so they could be watch, but many times these reports be cause of government red tape and other reason, many of the reports won’t get there till after the ships came to port and left, it seemed the rebel’s were always one step ahead of the British.

About the only way one could know what happen on these ships and their movements is by the men that sailed them. Later there would be depositions taken by some of the men who sailed these rebel ships. These depositions are very interesting to read, and a lot of interesting information can be taken from them.

Note. The information on this page comes from the records of the 41st. Congress called, Enforcement of Neutrality, Rebel operations from Canada Vol. II. No. 1395.
----------------------------------------------------------------

CONSULATE Of The UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AT LONDON.

We, the undersigned, William Stone, late chief engineer of the steamship City of Richmond, and now residing at 6 Arthurs street, Burdett road, Limehouse, in the county of Middlesex, in England; Jeremiah Coghlam, late boatswain of the said steamship City of Richmond, and now residing at No. 3 Craven Cottage, Woodham street, Barking road, in the said county of Middlesex; Charles Bishop, late quartermaster of the said steamship City of Richmond, and now residing at No. 3 Craven Cottages aforesaid; William Grey, late quartermaster of the said steamship City of Richmond, and now residing at No. 41 Evan street aforesaid, jointly and severally make oath and say, that we severally signed articles to join the said steamship City of Richmond to take said ship to Bermuda, or to one of the other West India Islands; and we hereby severally further say and declare that we were not acquainted, nor, to the best of our knowledge, information, or belief, was Mr. Ernest Pratt, the first mate of the said steamship City of Richmond, acquainted with the intentions of the owners or captain of the said ship iii reference to any alteration of the said ship to Bermuda, or to any other of the West India Islands; and we further jointly and severally make oath and say that we were totally ignorant of the nature of the cargo on board of the said steamship City of Richmond; and we further jointly and severally declare that when at sea the first mate, Mr. Ernest Pratt, protested to Captain Scott, the captain of the said steamship, against the alteration that he ordered and thrected to be made of the course of the said steamship, but that lie, the said Ernest Pratt, as well as the several above-named deponents, were compelled to obey the orders of the said Captain Scott.

WILLIAM STONE.
JEREMIAH COGHLAM.
CHARLES BISHOP.
JAMES FOSTER.
WILLIAM GREY.
DAVID WILLIAMS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deposition of George Hall.

I, George Hall, of Stockton-on-Tees, England, do so solemnly and sincerely swear, that 1, being an ordinary seaman in the ship Ellen, of Sunderland, was sent on shore to make a warp fast to the steamboat having hold of her; when I let go the warp I ran down to the dock gate to try and get on board of my ship but I could not. I then went to the British consul in Dunkirk, and asked him to send me home to my own country, but he would not. I then traveled to Calais; when I arrived there I went to the British consul and asked him to send inc home; this he refused to do. I their went down to the dock and asked the captain of the Aid, of Sunderland, if he would give me a passage; he said he would not. Shortly after, I was walking up and down the quay, where the Rappahannock was lying, and an officer came ashore from her and asked me what I was doing, and where I had been. As soon as I answered him, he Said I had better go on board his ship; I said No, not without I he immediately replied, “If you do not come you will be made“; so I thought it would be better to go voluntarily; I did so, but at the time I did not know what nation she belonged to. The officer when he came to me was in plain clothes. I was then sent on the forecastle, and a watch was placed over me. I was afterwards examined by the doctor, arid then sent to the captain’s cabin. The articles of war were read over to mc (it was then I discovered what the ship was) by the first lieutenant, Mr. Miller, to the effect that I was to engage for three years to serve in the confederate navy, to sink, burn, and destroy all American merchant shipping. I was engaged as landsman and fireman. To receive £t 6s. 8d. per month, and its soon as I went to sea I was to get £10 bounty. I had to swear on the holy Bible that I would serve on these conditions.

I was not long on board before I was anxious to get away, owing to the cruel. treatment practiced on the crew. I was placed in irons for one month for being a federal spy; I was innocent of the charge. About five weeks ago, Mr. John Early, known by the name of Captain Early, and who keeps a tobacconist shop in London, brought some men on board; two of them were Spaniards, and had been lodging with him (Mr. Early) for a week. Mr. Miller paid him two advance for each of these men, which he kept. They both broke out of irons last Friday week, and deserted from the ship. Mr. Early kept the money for the men’s keep. Early brought some more men; one of them had been serving in the Florida. The paymaster paid Mr. Early these men’s advance, which he also kept for their keep and expenses. On last Monday week Mr. Early also brought on board a man by the name of Gibson; this man was paid off from the Florida, in Loudon, and with others was brought on board by Mr. Early also.

On the 28th December last, Gibson and others were sent to London a day or two after, and were to have gone in the City of Richmond, steamer. Gibson missed his passage, and it was then, on last Monday week, Mr. Early brought him back to the Rappahannock; as before stated, he was paid two months in advance, and Mr. Early kept the money. When he took Gibson on board there were no officers to be seen, and Early stopped in Calais that night, and it was on the following day he drew Gibson’s money. The night Mr. Early stopped in Calais I met him on shore, and he begged of’ me never to mention that I had seen him there. William Anderson was slapped and brought on board about four months ago as ward-room steward. He was not long aboard before he was accused of being a northern spy, and was kept in irons a fortnight; when released he was told that should he be caught speaking to any northerners, he would be kept in irons with a watch over him until the ship got out to sea; he would then be liming up to the yard-arm and fired at like a dog. Early also received and kept his advance money.

On Tuesday night, the 10th January, eighty-two men left the Rappahannock. twenty-one men’s names were called and told off to go to Dove ; twenty-one more were told off to join a blockade runner in London, and forty men were to go in the Velocity. The hammocks were piped up and the men’s names were called out about 11 o’clock; their bags were put on shore and placed in three carts. Tee men were told that they has to go board the Velocity, and that they would be put on board a steam-tug, and then on board the City of Richmond, lying in the river Thames; they were to keep everything as quiet as possible, its they were going on a very particular service. Two officer’s were on deck with loaded pistols, and they threatened to blow any man’s brains out that should attempt to escape. Time advances for the seaman brought by Mr. Early were paid to him in my presence, and he always signed a paper for them.

GEORGE HALL.
------------------------------------------------------------

Deposition of James Davis.

I, James Davis, of London, England, stoker, do hereby solemnly and sincerely swear, that I was shipped on board the ship City of Richmond. of London, in the early part of January last, ( I was not shipped at a shipping office,) and acted as one of the stokers. She left the Victoria dock on Tuesday, the 7th January, and dropped down to Greenluthe, and between that date and the 10th of January she received on board over three hundred barrels of powder, and some boxes which appeared to be shot; they were heavy; and there were also some very heavy barrels taken on board; they contained shot; these were all taken on board during the night, after all lights had been put out on board, generally between half-past ten and half-past eleven. On the 10th January we left Greenlithe, after receiving on board about one hundred men; part of these men came from London, and were brought on board by a man named John Early; I distinctly heard the. men say that John Early brought them down; the remainder came alongside from boats which had brought them from the Calais steamer.

After they had got on board we weighed anchor and went away, leaving two boat-loads of men which the captain would not wait for, as he had news that he was being looked after, and thought it would be too hot for him; we then steamed to Cherbourg, and staid there some days. I believe he had orders to go, as he would not be allowed to remain there; he went away from there to Nantes, and from there to Belle isle, and dropped anchor there. The following day a small screw steamer hove in sight, and asked us where from, and what -was our cargo. The captain answered, “Machinery from London on receiving this answer she steamed away. Two dad s after this the ram Stonewall came alongside, and a confederate, Captain Davis, went on board of her and arranged to receive cargo from the City of Richmond.

The next day the hatches were open, and the powder, boxes of shot, and cases, which I was informed were minnie rifles, were put on board the Stonewall; there were also barrels oh beef, pork, and other provisions put on hoard. After that we had put all of the stores that were intended for the Stonewall on hoard, the captain of the City of Richmond issued orders to all the men, that if any of them wished to volunteer to go on board the Stonewall they were at liberty to join her, but must leave the ship as deserters. The carpenter, the fourth engineer, and a steward joined her; and the chief engineer of the Stonewall Came to me and wanted me to go as boiler-maker in her, and he offered me £9 a month to join her, but I would not go; he further offered me one month’s advance and £ I8 bounty, and promised to send my wife a half-pay note as soon as we arrived at Bermuda; but I would not go.

After we had completed our delivery to the Stonewall. and hearing that some federal men-of-war were in the neighborhood, we hove up anchor and went away, the Stonewall keeping company with us for a day and night, and then we parted; we went then right to Madera. On arrival there, and as I went on shone without leave, the captain took me and three others before the British consul for coning ashore without leave on Sunday to go to church; the consul threatened to discharge me, and did discharge me against my will; I told hint I would see into it as soon as I got home. The captain had previously said we should be discharged at the first port we came to, because we refused to join the Stonewall. We also told the consul that. the ship was filled with contraband of war, but he would not listen to us From there we were sent to Lisbon by Blendy & Co., and when we arrived at Lisbon I then told the consul how we had been discharged, and he said it was illegal. From there we were sent by the same people to Southampton in the mail boat. I did not sign the shipping articles of the City of Richmond until I arrived at Cherbourg; there were four lieutenants, two engineers, a sergeant of’ marines, and boatswain in the confederate service, as well as about one hundred men, all passengers, and who went on board the Stonewall.

JAMES DAVIS.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Deposition of William Hall.

1, William hall, of Dover, Kent, England, fireman, do hereby solemnly and sincerely swear, that I was shipped front Tower Hill shipping office as stoker for the steamship City of Richmond. I signed articles there to serve for a person not exceeding four months on a voyage to the West Indies, or the east coast of North America. She left Victoria dock on Tuesday, the 7th January, and dropped down a to Greenhithe, and between that date and the 10th January she received on board about two hundred barrels of powder and some boxes, winch appeared to be shot. They were very heavy, and there were also some very heavy barrels taken on board; these were all taken on board during the night, from a lighter or sailing barge, after all lights had been put out on board. between half-past ten and half-past eleven. On the 10th January we left Greenhithe after receiving off board about one hundred men, and some confederate officers; part of these men were from Liverpool, and had just been discharged from the Florida, part from the Rappahannock at Calais.

They came in the Calais steamer, and the remainder were brought on board by a man named John Early. Some of the men that went down with Early were front the Rappahannock also. After they had got on hoard we went away, steam and anchor being up ready, leaving two boat-loads of men, which the captain would not wait for, as he had news that some person was watching him. We then steamed to Cherbourg and stayed there some days. While there all tin stokers met in the stoke-hole and told the engineers that we did not wish to go any further in the ship. The chief engineer said, you have signed articles to go in the ship, and you must remain in her. We did so, but very reluctantly.

We thought if we did not do so, having such a mob of men and officers for the confederates, we would he made, and consequently roughly handled. I told the engineer that owing to the cargo and the men she had on board, they could not by rights compel me to stop, but, unfortunately, I could not help myself then. After remaining in Cherbourg four or five days we steamed away, owing to the captain having received notice to leave the port. We went away front there to Nautes, and from there to Belle Isle, and dropped anchor there. The following day a small screw steamer hove in sight, under French colors, deeply laden, and asked us our name, cargo, and where from, and where bound for. The captain answered, the City of Richmond, from London, with machinery, bound for the West Indies. On receiving this answer she steamed away.

Two days after this the ram Stonewall came alongside, flying the Danish flag, and a confederate captain, Davis, whom I know. well, haveing sailed with him in the Run Her, when she was wrecked at Terceira, and who left London in the City of Richmond, went on board the Stonewall, and arranged to receive cargo from the City of Richmond. At this time the confederate officers and men said, that is the ship that will give the Yankees a doing. This Davis acted the same as captain of the ship from London. The next day the hatches were open, and about half of the powder, boxes of shot, cases of rifles, boarding grapnels, powder magazine cases, barrels of beef, pork, other provisions, clothing, and some coals, were put on hoard. By this time the same small French steamer hove in sight, and went alongside the Stonewall and delivered her cargo to her, and when done took a portion of the crew away that brought the Stonewall to Belle Isle.

When we had finished putting all the stores that were intended for the Stonewall on board, Captain Scott, of the City of Richmond, issued orders to all the men, that if any of them wished to volunteer to go on board the Stonewall they were at liberty to join her, but must leave the ship as deserters. The carpenter, the fourth engineer, and the steward joined her. The chief engineer of the Stonewall came to me several times and begged of me to join his Ship, offering me seven pounds a month, ten pounds bounty, and a month’s advance, and a half-pay note, to be payable at a house in Liverpool, (I believe Messrs. W. G. Crenshaw & Co. I was paid by this firm my wages on my return.) But I would not go. We then heard that some federal men-of-war were in the neighborhood. We hove up anchor and went away , the Stonewall following, but keeping more under the land after leaving the island. She kept ahead of us for a day and night, and then we parted.

We went then right to Madeira, and arrived on a Saturday. The following day I asked for leave to go ashore, was refused, and told that no one would be allowed to go. As I was anxious to get ashore to inform the British consul what had transpired, with the view of being taken out of the ship and sent to England, (for I did not like the idea of going in her, having still contraband of war on board,) I called a boat and went ashore. The officer on deck , as I was leaving, said to me, mind, you are deserting the ship by going without leave. I said, I am not desert; I will be here to my duty at six o’clock in the morning. He told the quartermaster not to allow me on board if I returned.

When on shore I was told I could not see the consul. I then returned to my ship at Six a. m. on Monday, without being seen, and reported myself to duty. The chief engineer told me I was not to do any more work on board the ship. I went to the captain, who said, I will discharge your to-day it I can. he then took me with three others ashore to the British consul. I and two others who went ashore together on the Sunday were charged by Captain Scott with deserting front the ship, stating that for that reason he wished to discharge us. The consul said we should have to take our discharges. I then said to the Captain, before the consul, it is not that you are discharging me; it is because I would not join that confederate privateer ram. The captain answered that he knew nothing of privateers; that he had some cargo on board a vessel flying the Danish flag, also some passengers. The consul then spoke up and said, you fancy you have got the captain up in a corner. If I was to listen to all that is told me about privateers, I would have enough to do.. The consul was told by James Davis, “Mind, sir, we are Englishmen ; you here represent our government; that ship has contraband of war on board, and for the confederates, and we will seek redress when we get home. I then told the consul that I would try and obtain satisfaction also. he then ordered us out of his office like dogs, and told us to wait till we were called.

In about twenty minutes the consul called us into his office, and said, “Here you are; here is your discharges, and you had better take them now, for the ship will only be like a hell to you if you go in her.” He then gave us our discharges and said, your wages and expenses will be paid by the owners. We were then taken to an inn, and sent by Blundey & Co. to Lisbon. When we arrived there we went to the British consul and told him how we had been discharged, and he said it was illegal. And from Lisbon we were sent to Southampton by the same firm in the mail boat. The confederate captain, Davis, went to Madeira in the City of Richmond with us, and was on board when we left there; and I believe, and so did the crew, that the cargo then in the City of Richmond was for another confederate privateer. There were some officers, I believe, lieutenants, two engineers, a sergeant of marines, and a boatswain in the confederate service, as well as about one hundred men, all passengers, and who went on board the Stonewall.

WILLIAM HALL.
-------------------------------------------------------------

Deposition of Thomas Gibson.

I, Thomas Gibson, of Newcastle, England, fireman, do sincerely and solemnly swear, that I with others was discharged and on leave in London from the Confederate States steamer Florida, and about the 10th of January last, our leave, having expired, we were all collected together. Some were lodging with John Early, tobacconist., of High street, Shadwell; the others with different boarding-house keepers about the highways. This John Early is a shipping master for the confederate service. He, with others whom he employs, when they had collected us together on the above mentioned, sent us in two lots to the London Bridge railway stationMr. Early took tickets for Greenhithe for about thirty men, and took them on board of an English steamer lying off that place, called the City of Richmond the remainder were taken by a runner engaged by Mr. Early, by the name of Frederick Waters, in the next train. I was among this lot. When we arrived at Greenhithe we found steam was up and the City of Richmond under way. I and another took a boat and pulled after her, hailing her at the same time.

Mr. Early went away in her; she steamed away quit a fist, and some one from on board called out to us to go back and return to London. I landed again at Greenhthe. Altogether there were nine of us left behind, and Frederick Waters brought us hack to London. About three days after this, all, with the exception of myself joined the Rappahannock at Calais. On the 16th January I found out that Mr. Early had returned. I then went to him. He asked me what had become of the others that were left behind at Greenhthe; I told him. he then asked me if I had money enough to go to Calais and join the Rappahannock; I replied that I had not. He then took me to Calais with as little delay as possible, paying all expenses, and handed me over to the senior officer on board of the Rappahannock. I was paid off, along with about forty others, on Monday, 27th March. Two men were discharged on the Thursday previous and accused of being federal spies.

There was only one stoker, two coal-trimmers, one seaman, the master-at-arms, and a steward kept on board. This sudden discharging of hands surprised us very much, for we all knew that they required as many men as they could get. When we left it was rumored that the ship was going on the gridiron to have her bottom cleaned and overhauled. In the mean time some slight repairs were going on about her engine gear, and when completed she was to sail from Calais. I must here also state, that if Mr. Early had not taken and shipped me on board of the Rappahannock, I would not have gone.

THOMAS GIBSON.

Age, twenty-eight years; height, five feet ten inches; complexion, fair; color of eyes, blue; color of hair, light brown; place of birth, Newcastle, England.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Deposition of John Morgan.

I, John Morgan, of Galway, Ireland, but a citizen of the United States of America, and now residing at No. 2 Alsop’s Buildings, Back Road, St. George’s in the East, London, do solemnly and sincerely swear, that when residing at Nassau, about the latter end of February, or the beginning of March last past, the steamship City of Richmond arrived there. There was at that time a dispute among the crew that shipped us her from London, With respect to promises made to them at Bermuda. by the captain that left the port of London. with them. The captain at Bermuda was concealed from the crew, and another captain placed on board, but the crew refused to proceed in the ship without him. he was consequently placed on board again and took the ship to Nassau. When he arrived on board he told the crew that they having stood by him, he would make it as good as two round trips in the blockade, which the crew understood to be worth to them about $300 each.

On arrival at Nassau a confederate agent, by the name of Colonel Krenshaw, seemed to take all responsibility of the ship; he arranged everything connected with the ship with the customs, and others in authority. The crew were taken on shore and provided with board and lodging they were paid in the custom house, and their passage money to send them home to England was also lodged with the custom-house authorities, excepting an engineer and another officer, who both went to New York. A reference to tire newspapers at Nassau will corroborate this part of my statement; and, further, this Colonel Krenshaw was the chief agent, assisted by his relations, for the confederates. He was the person who arranged all matters for the City of Richmond, likewise the Virginia, Florence, Rattlesnake, and the ship afterwards named the Talhahassee. Immediately after the crew were paid off from the City of Richmond, a number of men were employed from on shore to keep the ship, engines, &c., clean, at the mate of one dollar per day and their victuals, but after working fifteen days they were paid at the rate of only $I per month. She delivered her cargo as follows, then lying in


the stream, on board the Emergine, a bloekade-runner, bound to Galveston ; part of the cargo consisted of telegraph wires and provisions ; the remaining portion being packed in eases, and of different sizes, I could not ascertain the contents. I Joined the City of Richmond on the 18th May last, with several others, at Nassau, and we signed articles on board the ship in the presence of a Mr. Field, who represented himself as chief officer, as follows: to proceed to any one or more ports in the Atlantic, and from thence to any port in the United Kingdom ; no term of time was mentioned. I was induced to join her on account of the extraordinary good wages offered. I agreed as seaman for $40 per month, and to receive a month’s advance; but the advance was not to be paid, as was usual with all blockade-runners, until we had passed the bar. Colonel Krenshaw was on board, and he paid me in the captain’s cabin, along with the rest of the crew. From Nassau we went direct to Bermuda, with nothing but coals on board. Our captain, Mr. Henry Holgate, was formerly captain of the blockade runner Let-her-rip, which Was captured by federal cruisers; we also took with us from Nassua the chief engineer of the Nashville, his wife and child. He did the duties of chief engineer on board of us during the passage. We had also four other persons of gentlemanly appearance on board as passengers; who they were I cannot say. We stopped at Bermuda three days, and took in coals, and sailed from there to the island of Terceira coaled again and proceeded to this port.

We were all paid off at the Tower Hill shipping office. I must also add, that the City of Richmond hoisted the confederate flag at the fore when at Nassau, and so did all the blockade-runners ; some of them hoisted the confederate flag at the peak as well as at the fore, viz : the Coquette, Hattie, Colonel Lamb, Laurel and the so called Tallahassee. While I was at Nassau I took captain Maffit and some men from the Tallahassee, who, after running as a privateer, changed her name. These men I put on board tile Owl, a blockade-runner. Captain Maffit shipped some more men on shore, and I was given to understand the Owl was going to land her cargo on the Florida coast. When the City of Richmond left England she had her funnels painted white; while away from England they were

painted black; and on approaching England they were painted white again; and further, that of the crew that arrived in this port, the second mate only still continues serving on board, and he is engaged to go away in her. I am quite confident, from what I know, personally and otherwise, that the City of Richmond is engaged to continue working for the confederates on a secret service from this port to Havana, thence to Matamoras or Rio Grande. There is now in the Victoria dock a steamer lying head on to the custom-house, who has engaged the crew of the unsuccessful blockade-runner Florence, to go in her on the same secret service, to Havana. Colonel Krenshaw came on board of us at Nassau, and we brought him to London with us; he now superintends the managing of the City of Richmond.

JOHN MORGAN.

No comments: