Saturday, April 24, 2010

Roger Oates & Nicholas Ball 1793.

I’m not a true genealogist, I’m just a surname researcher, I look for names and information on names so families well have leads and information they may not have had before. Many would call that being a genealogist, that may be so. I find it hard in my line of work to know when I should and when I should not give information on a name. I read thousands documents through out the year, and run across many family names that history only gives a short note. Now these family names may have been in some kind of a event in history and nothing is given on the family before or after the event. Now there are families looking into their ancestors passed and may have some information, but very litter to go on,

Those of you who been to this site before Know I post many list of names or what I call one liners, these are to help you find your family name. I don’t know how many times I have been thank for posting just a name and no information on it, they were just glad it see the name in print, so I guess no information is to small. This being the case I’m posting the following short paragraph.

Authors note. Those of you who know these families or knows the story behind this information, I would like to hear from you, I would like to add more to this story and families. My address can be found in my profile.
--------------------------------

Copy of a letter from Governor Blount to the Secretary of War, dated, KNOXVILLE, December 26th,1793.

Sir: On Monday, the 23d instant, a party of Indians, the number unknown way-laid a path leading from Well’s Station, (blockhouses) and fired upon a party of citizens conveying a wagon load of corn, from a neighboring plantation to the station, for the subsistence of their families, killed Roger Oates and Nicholas Ball, captured a mulatto boy, and took the wagon horses -Well’s Blockhouses are twenty two miles from this place. A gun; of the description of those given, by the Spaniards to the Creeks, was left by the Indians, which gives reason to suspect some of them were Creek, and this suspicion is strengthened by the information of Charles Tucker to John McKee.
I have the honor, &c.

No comments: