Saturday, March 30, 2013

Arthur J. Robinson 33rd. Wis. Infantry.

Arthur J. Robinson.

Birth: Mar. 25, 1846, Wood County, Ohio.
Death: May 8, 1930, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin.

Joined the 33rd WI. Vol Inf at age 17 with his younger brother, after the war he speculated land in Texas, lived in Texas, Washington, Iowa and Wisconsin Wrote a small book about his war experiences as well as several other works buried in a common grave with his brother

Parents: Andrew Norton Robinson (1824 - 1890)
Charlotte S. William Robinson (1827 - 1908)

Burial: Wood National Cemetery, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. Plot: Rox 0, Sec 14, grave 197.

Arthur J. Robinson, Private, Residence Orfordville, Enlisted or Mustered in August 15, 1862, 33rd. Wis. Infantry Co. E., Mustered out August 9, 1865.

Arthur J. Robinson wrote a two volume book called; Memorandum and Anecdotes of the Civil War.Pub.1912.

Authors note.  This book can be found and read on line.

The following is from his book, it tells what happen on his first picket duty.

On the 12th of October, 1862, I was detailed for the first time on regular picket duty and placed out as sentinel on the outside line, and I vividly remember that night. We were on the main pike road to
Holly Springs in an oak forest, perhaps a mile from our camp. My turn came for outpost at 10 p. m. to 12 m. It had rained all day and the night was very dark. I had a beat of about 200 yards to walk and
pass the word to comrades on adjoining beats, "Who comes there?" Answer, "All is well." We could sarcely see the form of a man ten steps distant. I was making my return to the road to my right when
I saw the form of an animal I took to be a horse coming in on the road. I commanded "Halt!" It paid no attention. My next command was "Halt! Who comes there?" cocking my gun at the same time, but
the object still came on, and another showed up in the rear. I fired with the third command and brought down the leading object, and there was a scurry through the woods of several sounds on the run. I reloaded before I advanced on my prey and walked up stealthily at bayonet charge upon my enemy. To my surprise, I found I had killed a calf.

I had an attack of the buck ague all the balance of my two-hour stand, and I was the jest of the camp the next day.

No comments: