Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Eight Faces Of First Ohio Cavalry.

Note. To enlarge pictures
push on them


George F. Conn was born in Coshocton County, Ohio, October 30, 1836, and was a teacher before the war. Studied dentistry after leaving the army. Died at Soldiers Home (National) at Milwaukee, Wis., October 13, 1886.  Captain Conn was appointed First Lieutenant of Company B, First O. V. C., August 17, 1861, and was promoted to Captain, June 10, 1862, and resigned September 20, 1864. Company B left Camp Chase about October 1, 1861, and about two months before the balance of the regiment left for the front. It was sent on an expedition against Humphrey Marshall and had a sharp fight at Liberty, Ky., before the balance of the regiment arrived. Captain Conn was with his command almost contin uously during his three years service, and commanded his company after Captain Laughlin was promoted to Major. While in command of his company at Washington, East Tennessee, defending a ford against the crossing of General Wheeler s forces, September 30, 1863, he was wounded in the hand. He was then sent home on leave of absence and did not see much further active service on account of his health.


Major John H. Robinson was born in New York City about the year 1818, but removed to Martinsburg, Ya., early in his childhood, and moved from that place to Decatur, Brown County, Ohio, in 1838, where he engaged in the merchant tailoring business. In the year 1845, he moved to Washington, C. H., where he was engaged in the same business, and in 1850 he went across the plains to California with emigrants and stock and returned in 1851. Returned to California again in 1852, but soon returned and engaged in the dry goods business in Illinois until the breaking out of the war. From his early youth he was very much in terested in military matters and during all of his life made a study of military tactics. In August, 1862, he was appointed Captain of Company A, First O. V. C. This was the first commission issued to any officer in that regiment. The men in his company furnished their own horses, and about the middle of August went into Camp Chase, O. His company soon became very efficient in drilling and were equipped some time before the other companies of the regiment. As Cavalry was very much in demand in Virginia, Companies A and C, First O. V. C., were sent to Virginia before the other companies of the regiment were equipped. They did good service in Virginia up to the fall of 1864, when they were again united with the regiment at Nashville, Tenn. Captain Robinson was a very efficient officer, very fond of military service, but as he was in delicate health when he enlisted he was not able to stand the rigors of the hard campaigns.  June 1, 1862, he was promoted to Major and died at his home in Washington, C. H., October 29, 1862. Had his life been spared, he would no doubt have gained distinction during the war.

Hugh Hicks Siverd was born December 28, 1839, near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. He was a spinner in a woolen mill when the war broke out. He died at Winfield, Kansas, October 25, 1895. He was shot and killed while in the performance of official duty.

Captain Siverd had arrested a desperado from the Indian Territory for some crime, and as he was taking his prisoner to jail one of the desperado s pals met them on the street and shot Captain Siverd, killing him instantly. He was held in high esteem by the citizens of Winfield, and his untimely death was mourned by hundreds of the best citizens. As a testimonial to his memory, the citizens of Winfield erected a beautiful monument over his grave.

Captain Siverd enlisted in Company B, First O. V. C., August 21, 1861, and was promoted to Sergeant-Major; promoted to Second Lieutenant, October 1, 1862; First Lieutenant, April 1, 1863; to Captain. December 14, 1864, and was mustered out with his regiment at Hilton Head, S. C., September 13, 1865, having served almost one month more than four years. Captain Siverd was an ideal cavalry soldier, full of dash, with an utter disregard of danger, and at all times full of enthusiasm.He was for a long time Provost Officer of the brigade, and many of the surviving members of the brigade will no doubt have a very distinct recollection that at some time during their service they w r ere put under arrest by Captain Siverd for straggling. He was one of the best known young officers in the regiment, as he was always at the front, and where there was a fight or any prospect of a fight, Captain Siverd was always found in line.

Amos David Leib was born near Bremen, Fairfield County, Ohio, on January 12, 1827, and died at his Island Home in the same county December 14, 1892. He spent his childhood days and early youth under his parents guiding care, receiving a good country school education and taking a course of study at the Ohio Wesleyan University. At the breaking out of the war was a salesman at Keokuk, Iowa. After the war he filled many responsible positions in his county and was nswerving in his connections of duty as a citizen. The deprivations and exposures of army service short ened his life by many years. In 1866 he married Elizabeth Ann Pope, of Marysville, Ohio, who still survives him with two chil dren, a son and a daughter. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and in politics a zealous Republican.

He enlisted in Company F, First O. Y. C., September 5, 1861, and at the organization of the company was appointed Quartermaster-Sergeant, and soon afterward was promoted to Battalion Quartermaster-Sergeant and to Second Lieutenant, Company I, November 20, 1862; to First Lieutenant and Regimental Commissary, April 18, 1863, and mustered out January 10, 1865. Lieutenant Leib served as staff officer almost continuously during his term of service and was a prompt, energetic, efficient officer and had the confidence of his superior at all times. In addition to his duties as Commissary, he rendered important service during active campaigns in carrying orders on the field, and was always ready for any duty required of him. He was twice a prisoner of war. Once he was taken a prisoner on a train, captured by Dick McCann near Lavergne, Tenn., in, April, 1863, but was soon paroled. He was also captured by General Wheeler s cavalry while carrying dispatches near Cotton Port, Tenn., September 30, 1863. Johnnie Clem was a prisoner at the same time, and when they were paroled, Clem accompanied Lieutenant Leib to his home in Ohio. When Colonel Cupp was killed at the battle of Chickamauga, Lieuten ant Leib had his body taken up and accompanied the remains home, and they were interred in Fairfield County, Ohio.


Harvey Ferguson w r as born April 26, 1829, in Ross County, Ohio, and came with his parents to Newark, Licking County, Ohio, when about six years old, where he ever afterwards resided. His education was obtained in the public schools of Newark. After leaving school he learned the carpenter trade with his father, but engaged in different occupations at different times. Was Sergeant-at-arms two terms and Postmaster one term in the House of Representatives, Columbus, Ohio. In the years 1851-2-3 was Deputy Clerk in Newark Postoffice under Postmaster William Bell in 1855. In 1856 and 1857 was engaged in the grocery business w^ith Enoch Wilson, Newark, Ohio. Was married to Mary C. Frey, September 22, 1852. Died June 12, 1876, in Newark, Ohio.

He enlisted in Company D, First O. V. C., as private, August 5, 1861. He was appointed Sergeant and then promoted to Second Lieutenant of Company H, April 18, 1863; promoted to First Lieutenant and Adjutant, to date from May 25, 1864, and was mustered out November 25, 1864, on expiration of term of service. Lieutenant Ferguson served continuously with the regiment from the time of his enlistment until he was discharged, and had special qualifications for the duties of a staff officer, as he was quite active, a good clerk and a fine-appearing officer. Both as a company and staff officer he rendered excellent service throughout the war, and during the Atlanta Campaign, as Adjutant of the regiment, and was especially active in all of his arduous duties, and was regarded as a very excellent officer by Colonel Eggleston.


Franklin Putnam Allen was born at Darby Creek, Madison County, Ohio, August 31, 1841. His father, William Allen, was of the Ethan Allen family, and his mother Harriet was a daugh ter of Joshua Ewing, also of revolutionary stock, and the first white settler of Darby Creek.

He enlisted in Company K, First O. V. C., September 22, 1861, and was an efficient Corporal and Sergeant, re-enlisted as a veteran, was on non-commissioned staff as Quartermaster-sergeant, and later was commissioned as First Lieutenant, but died without learning of it. He was a much loved man and officer, trusty and intelligent, and was a fighting soldier. At Ebenezer Church, Ala., April 1, 1865, as he laid his hand on the gun of a rebel battery, hot and smoking, claiming it as his capture, he fell, shot through the groin. He lived to be taken from Selma on a hospital boat, on which he died near Cairo, 1ll., May 25. A month later his body was removed to the home burial ground at Plain City, Ohio. His parents lie beside him now; but in their grief they rejoiced in the message he left the day he was shot: "If you get home, tell pa and ma it is all right w^ith me; it all came right after I was hit."


Charles H. Goodrich was born at Sharon, Ohio, on Jan uary 20, 1844. Received his education at Sharon College, and afterwards learned the printing trade in the Noble County Republican office at Caldwell, Ohio. At the close of the war he followed the occupation of a newspaper publisher until November of 1889, he having received the appointment of door-keeper of the National House of Representatives at Washington, D. C. ; but later he was transferred to a more lucrative position iu the U. S. Treasury Department. He died August 31, 1892, at Washington, D. C. He published during his newspaper career The Noble County Kepublican, Caldwell, Ohio; The Miller County Monitor, California, Mo.; The Newcomerstown Argus, Newcomerstown, Ohio; The Cald well Press, Caldwell, Ohio; The Monroe Gazette, Woodsfield, Ohio; The Troy Chronicle and Daily Trojan, Troy, Ohio.

He enlisted in Company D, First O. V. C., August 5, 1861;  appointed Corporal, and October 2, 1862, appointed Sergeant; appointed First Sergeant and commissioned as First Lieutenant, Company M, June 28, 1865; mustered out at Cincinnati, Ohio, July 12, 1865, having served within twenty-three days of four years. He was a good soldier and w r on his bars by hard service in the field.


Captain Lafayette Pickering, son of James Pickering, was born near Pickerington, Fairfield County, Ohio, April 30, 1828, and died December 14, 1866, near the spot where he was born. In the year 1848 he was united in marriage to Miss Margaret Winter, near Pleasantville, Fairfield County, Ohio. During the late war, when his country called for help, he promptly responded and enlisted September 5, 1861, for three years in Company F, First Regiment Ohio Cavalry. On the organization of his company he was elected First Lieutenant, and soon after the regiment was ordered into service he was promoted to Captain, December 31, 1862, in which office he served faithfully until December 20, 1864, and was mustered out by reason of the expiration of his term of service.

He participated with the regiment in all of the battles of the Army of the Cumberland, and was severely wounded at the battle of Noonday Creek, Ga., June 16, 1864. His death was caused by camp fever, contracted in the service. He was one of the best officers of the regiment, and was highly respected by every officer and soldier. At the time of his death he was a member of the M. E. Church, and said to his wife a few days before his death, when he felt that the end was near, "The harder the battle, the brighter the victory." He left a widow and two boys at the time of his death.

No comments: