Monday, March 11, 2013

Men of the 21st., Massachusetts Infantry.

James Madison Stone was in company K., of the 21St., Massachusetts infantry, and after the war he wrote a book called '' Personal Recollections of the Civil War. ''

The information on the men listed here was taken from the pages from his book

James Madison Stone, Private, Residence Dana, Age 20, Farmer; Enlisted and muster July 19, 1861.  Re-enlisted January 1, 1864.  Wounded July 29, 1864, at Petersbury Virginia, as a Corpl; transf; by S. O. of October 21, 1864, to 36th., Massachusetts Infantry.

Four Men Killed at Newbern, N. C.
 
Page 41.When my gun-stock was shot away I had to go back and get another. Pat Martin had been killed. I saw him lying on the ground with a bullet hole through his forehead. I was given his gun and went back to my place again. The bullet that went through my roll of blankets also made two holes through my blouse on my shoulder underneath the blankets

Page 43.The next day we buried our four boys who were killed. They were Pat Martin, James Fessenden, Joseph E. Stone and James Sullivan.

Of the four men killed in our company, I felt in only one a personal loss. Jimmy Sullivan of westboro, was an exceptional boy, two years my junior. His was a light-hearted, joyous nature. He was the pet of the company and without an enemy in it. How he was killed I never knew.

The Adjutant General of Massachusetts.
 
Pat Martin, Private, Residence Barre, Age 18, Farmer.  Enlisted and muster July 19, 1861.  Killed March 14, 1862, at Newbern, N. C.
 
James O. Fessenden, Private, Residence Barre; Age 22, Farmer, Enlisted and muster July 19, 1861.  Killed March 14, 1862, at Newbern, N. C.
 
Joseph E. Stone, Private, Residence Barre; Age 38, Shoemaker; Enlisted and muster July 19, 1861.  Died of wounds March 14, 1862 of action at Newbern, N. C.
 
James ''Jimmy'' Sullivan, private, Residence Westboro. Age 18, Shoemaker,  Enlisted and muster July 19, 1861. Killed March 14, 1862, at Newbern, N. C.

No comments: