Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Battle of Fort Fisher.

A while back I received a letter from Ted Stone, in which he told me of his work and he states in part;

Dennis, On page 417 of the Official Orders is the names of Union soldiers that were recommended for the Medal of Honor but never received them. The recommendation order was lost, then found, and lost again. I hired a researcher who found the order. I have sent a copy to Congressman Bill Owens office in NY as well as all the evidence I have .They have forwarded the info to the Dept. of the Army for review. I check back with them from time to time to see how they are progressing.

I have placed the report of the battle here. After reading the report and you find that you would like to know more about his work or have a question he can be reach him at the following.

Numbers 11. Report of Brigadier General Adelbert Ames, U. S. Army, commanding Second Division.

Fort Fisher, N. C. January 16, 1865.

I have the honor to submit the following report of the late movements and operations of this division:

On the right of the 2nd the division, which had just returned to its camp from a demonstration against this point, received orders to prepare for a second expedition. It left camp on the 3rd, and embarked on ocean transports at Bermuda Hundred between the hours of 7 and 9 p. m. on the 4th instant.

The transport fleet sailed from Fortress Monroe on the morning of the 6th, and the troops disembarked some four miles north of Fort Fisher on the 13th instant.

At 3 p. m. on the 15th we stormed Fort Fisher. Byt. Brigadier General N. M. Curtis' brigade (the First) made a lodgment on the northwest angle of the fort. I immediately ordered up Colonel g. Pennypacker's brigade (the Second). The enemy was at once driven from behind the palisading extending from the fort to the river, and about one-third of the work, its northwest angle, occupied by us. I then ordered up Colonel Bell's brigade (the Third), and moved it forward against and in rear of the sea-face of the work, the ground being much obstructed by the ruins of the barracks, lumber, and other rubbish. The enemy, being protected by traverses, and taking advantage of the cover afforded by magazines, &c., checked our advance. Fighting of a most obstinate character continued till after dark, during which time we made considerable advancement on the left and captured about 400 prisoners. About 8 p. m. Colonel Abbott, with his brigade, completed the occupation of the face of the work extending from the ocean to the river. A general advance was now made, and the for occupied without opposition.

The conduct of the officers and men of this division was most gallant. Aided by the fire of the navy, and an attacking column of sailors and marines along the sea beach, we wee able to pass over the open ground in front of the fort through the gaps in the palisading in the ditch made by the naval fire, and finally to carry the work.

Where the name of every officer and man engaged in this desperate conflict should be submitted, I shall at present only be able to give a few of those most conspicuous. It is to be hoped they all may be properly rewarded.

Byt. Brigadier General N. M. Curtis, commanding First Brigade, was prominent throughout the day for his bravery, coolness, and judgment. His services cannot be over-estimated. He fell a short time before dark seriously wounded in the head by a canister-shot.

Colonel G. Pennypacker, commanding Second Brigade, was seriously wounded while planting his colors on the third traverse of the work. This officer was surpassed by none, and hid absence during the day most deeply felt and seriously regretted.

Colonel L. Bell, commanding Third Brigade, was mortally wounded while crossing the bridge in advance of the palisading. He was an able and efficient officer; one not easily replaced.

I here submit the names of the regimental commanders, and in connection with the brigade commanders is the credit due them for the heroes conduct of their men:

Regimental commanders First Brigade: One hundred and forty-second New York Volunteers, Lieutenant Colonel A. M. Barley; One hundred and seventeenth New York Volunteers, Lieutenant Colonel F. X. Meyer; One hundred and twelfth New York Volunteers, Colonel J. F. Smith; Third New York Volunteers, Lieutenant E. A. Behan. Second Brigade: Forty-eighth New York Volunteers, Lieutenant Colonel W. B. Coan; Seventy-sixth Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel J. S. Littell; Forty-seventh New York Volunteers, Captain J. M. McDonald; Two hundred and third Pennsylvania Volunteers, Colonel J. W. Moore; Ninety-seventh Pennsylvania Volunteers, First Lieutenant J. Wainwright.* Third Brigade: One hundred and sixty-ninth New York Volunteers, Colonel Alonzo Alden; Thirteenth Indiana Volunteers, Lieutenant col. S. M. Zent; Fourth New Hamsphire Volunteers, Captain J. H. Roberts; One hundred and fifteenth New York Volunteers, Lieutenant Colonel N. J. Johnson.

Colonel J. W. Moore, Two hundred and third Pennsylvania Volunteers, behaved with the most distinguished gallantry. He was killed while passing the second traverse of the fort, in advance of his regiment, waving his colors. Few equaled, none surpassed this brave officer.

Page 417. Lieutenant Colonel S. M. Zent, in command of the Thirteenth Indiana, with his own regiment and a detachment of volunteers from the First Brigade, numbering in all 100 men, deployed within 200 or 300 yards of the fort, and by their fire materially aided our advance.

Major J. H. Lawrence, Thirteenth Indiana Volunteers, and Lieutenant Colonel J. A. Colvin, One hundred and sixty-ninth New York Volunteers, also behaved in the most gallant manner, and rendered efficient service in collecting and organizing the troops which had become separated from their commands in the charge, and in leading them to positions where important advantages were gained. Captain G. W. Huckins, Fourth New Hamsphire Volunteers, and First Lieutenant J. Kinigs, Seventh U. S. Colored Troops, aides on the staff of Colonel L. Bell, commanding Third Brigade, were untiring in their labors, and rendered valuable services in the absence of my staff officers, who had been stricken down in the early part of the engagement.

Privates Alric Chapin, James Spring, Company G, One hundred and forty-second, and D. C. Hotchkiss, Company A, O. R. Kingsland, Company D, One hundred and twelfth New York Volunteers, volunteered to approach to a point considerably in advance of our skirmish line, which they did do, and by this strip valuable information with reference to the ditch was gained. Privates James Cadman (wounded), William Cabe, Company B; George Hoyt, S. R. Porteous, Company C; D. H. Morgan, Edward Petrie, Company E; E. H. Cooper, Company G (wounded); Silas Baker, Company H (missing); George Merell, William J. McDuff, Company I; Z. C. Neahr*, Bruce Anderson, Company K, One hundred and forty-second New York Volunteers, volunteered to advance with the head of the column and cut down the palisading.

Copies of the reports of the brigade commanders will be forwarded. In them will be found lists of officers and men who particularly distinguished themselves. It is recommended that medals be bestowed upon all enlisted men mentioned.

To my staff officers am I particularly indebted for their zeal and gallantry throughout the day. They were constantly passing to and from, and exposed to the hottest fire. I would respectfully recommend that they be brevetted for their services: Captain Charles A. Carleton, assistant adjutant-general; Captain A. G. Lawrence, acting aide-de-camp; Captain H. C. Lockwood, aide-de-camp; Captain R. W. Dawson, acting assistant inspector-general; Captain J. S. Mathews, provost-marshal; Captain B. B. Keeler, mustering officer.

Captain Lawrence was the first man through the palisading, and while extending his land to receive a guidon which he intended to place on the parapet of the work, a shell exploded near him, taking off his left arm and seriously injuring his throat. He was afterward shot in the right arm. For his services on this occasion, as well as those on a former one, I most earnestly urge his promotion. Captain Dowson was disabled by a wound in the left arm. To Captain Lockwood, General Whiting and Colonel Lamb surrendered, with the garrison at Fort Buchanan.

I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


Brigadier-General of Volunteers.

No comments: