Monday, February 25, 2013

Thomas Harlow, 3rd. Mass. Cavalry.

Push to enlarge.
CORPORAL THOMAS HARLOW.

Corporal Harlow of Company C, was born December 2ist, 1842, on Atkinson (now Congress) street, Boston, and was left, without father and mother when but ten years old. When the war broke out, he was learning the photograph business.

In 1861, Mr. Hill, who was with the Chickering Piano Company offered him $300 to go into the army for him as a substitute. Harlow declined. No man could hire him to fight for his country. In 1862, he enlisted in Roxbury, in the Forty first regiment, Company C. He was a total stranger to every member in the company. As a member of the Third Massachusetts Cavalry from the date of the enlistment until he was discharged at Falls Church, Va., he never was reported on the sick list. He was taken prisoner May ist, 1864, at Pineyville La., and confined at Tyler, Texas.

Massachusetts 3rd., Cavalry, Co. C.

Corporal Thomsa Harlow, from Roxbury, Age 22, Photographer, Enlisted or Mustered August 22, 1862.  Discharged May 20, 1865.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi there, my name is Meagan and Thomas Harlow is my 3x Great Grandfather. I've been tracing my Harlow line and have been stuck at Thomas because I can't find any information on his parents except in marriage records that list them as Richard and Catharine. I'm reading here that he may have been orphaned? Can I ask where you found this information? Maybe it can help me in my search!
Thank you!

Dennis Segelquist said...

The information came from a book called; Third Massachusetts Cavalry in the war for the Union, By Rev. James K. Ewer. This book can be found on line.

Unknown said...

Great! Thank you!