Friday, March 15, 2013

James Little, 78th., Penn. Infantry.

There is not a lot of information here, but I thought his ancestors would like to know how he died.
----------------------------------------

James Little, Private, 78th., Pennsyvania Infantry, Co. A., Mustered in October 12, 1861, for 3 years.  Killed at New Hope Church, Virginia, May 27, 1864.

The following was taken from the 78th., regimental history, page 147.

Battle of New Hope Church.
 
The first man of Company A that I saw fall was James Little. I was but a few feet from him, and thought that he was instantly killed, but Captain Ayres, of Company H, told me afterwards that he had raised him up when he said to him, "Tell mother I am in the front ranks yet,"  and, repeating the words three times, he expired a few moments afterwards in the arms of Chaplain Christy


No comments: