Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Thirteenth Tennessee Infantry C. S. A.

Numbers 148. Report of Colonel A. J. Vaughan, Jr., Thirteenth Tennessee Infantry.

HDQRS. THIRTEENTH REGIMENT TENNESSEE VOLUNTEERS,
April 10, 1862.

On the evening of April 2, in obedience to orders, I caused to be put in motion the Thirteenth Regiment in the direction of Pittsburg, in the vicinity of which place I encamped on the night of the 5th.

The next morning I advanced upon the enemy, who was strongly posted with a battery of six guns, commanding every avenue of approach, and supported by strong detachments of infantry. While in this position I was told by General Bragg that this battery was a source of great annoyance to our troops, and that it must be taken at all hazards. I was ordered to take this battery by a right flank movement. I had proceeded but a short distance when I discovered that I would be exposed to a heavy fire from two of the enemy's camps.

I therefore ordered an advance to be made directly forward at this particular crisis. Four companies of the left wing were separated from the command, but with the remainder of the command, under fire of their batteries, I soon engaged a heavy body of infantry, which, after a severe conflict and a desperate charge, I succeeded in putting to flight, and captured their battery. The ammunition being nearly exhausted, I supplied myself with that found in the enemy's encampments. The remainder of my command having joined me, I was ordered to the support of Captain's battery, which was taking position to my right.

This I did, but soon afterwards I was ordered to support Captain Stanford's battery, which occupied a more advanced position. At this time heavy firing commenced on our right, and I was ordered to support it. I did so, when I met with General Cheatham, who ordered me to remain where I was until further orders. Here I received an order from Colonel Russell to fall in the rear of his regiment and proceed down the river until we came under the fire of the enemy's gunboats. It being now near about dark, I was ordered to fall back to an encampment, where we took up quarters for the night.

Early next morning I took position in line of battle and under the immediate command of our brigade commander; remained but a short time before we discovered the enemy making a flank movement on our left; planted a battery, which opened a deadly fire upon us, when we fell back out of range of the battery.

At this time, my horse being disabled by a cannon-shot, I was dismounted, and turned the command over to Lieutenant-Colonel Morgan, who reformed the regiment and took position to the rear, when I wan again mounted and resumed command. I then, under the immediate command of our brigade commander, proceeded to advance upon the enemy, whom we found in strong position, and after a terrible conflict was forced to retire. As early as practicable the regiment was collected together and joined the main command.

Throughout the whole engagement of two days' fight I am proud to say that the officers and men under my command conducted themselves bravely, gallantly, and with the utmost coolness, and to mention the particular instances of gallantry and bravery displayed by each one would make this report too lengthy.

Early in the action Sunday morning I was deprived of the services of Adjutant Harwell, he having received a slight wound.

Authors note Added information on the wounded will be taken from the Regimental History.

Among the wounded are;

Captain John A. Wilkins, of Company D, severely, in the face.  Appointed Captain of companies A. and D., at reorganization, and was in command at close of the war; Louisville, Kentucky...

Captain R. W. Pitman, of company H, in the thigh.  Elected Captain at organization of his company; A. wounded slightly at Belmont and severely at Shiloh ; promoted to Lieutenant  Colonel on the death of Lieut. -Col. Morgan, and to Colonel of the regiment on the promotion of Col. Vaughan to Brigadier General ; Denton, Tex.

First Lieutenant C. H. Whitmore, of Company H, in the thigh.  No information

First Lieutenant C. H. Whitmore, of Company A, killed. Killed at Shiloh.

Second Lieutenant W. F. Cowan, of Company D, killed. Elected Lieutenant at organization of company; died from exposure in the battle of Shiloh.

Third Lieutenant W. A. Bell, of Company A, slightly wounded.  Elected Third Lieutenant at Columbus, Kentucky, resigned at the reorganization at Corinth, wounded at Shiloh; joined Twelfth Tennessee Cavalry; died since the war.

First Lieutenant T. B. Dougan, of Company B, severely wounded. Should be J. W. Dougan; discharged, Post office, Williston, Tennessee.

First Lieutenant Elmore W. Douglass, of Company C, slightly wounded.  Elected Lieutenant at organization of company; Elected Captain at reorganization, and killed at Atlanta.

Second Lieutenant R. E. Holmes, of Company D, slightly wounded.  Elihu Holmes, Elected Lieutenant; wounded at Belmont, died since the war.

Second Lieutenant Thomas B. Allen, of Company E, slightly wounded.  Elected Lieutenant at organization of company, died since the war.

Lieutenant Samuel W. Henry of Company F, slightly wounded.  Elected First Lieutenant at organization; died in service first year of the war.

Lieutenant J. R. Johnson, of Company F, slightly wounded.  Elected Lieutenant died since the war.

First Lieutenant B. M. Bray, of Company I, severely wounded. Elected Second Lieutenant; wounded at Shiloh; Santiago, Cal.

Lieutenant Thomas C. Buchanan, of Company K, severely wounded.  First Sergeant promoted to Lieutenant in 1861; wounded at Shiloh.

Adjt. Richard M. Harwell slightly wounded. Appointed Adjutant of the regiment after the battle of Belmont; re-elected Adjutant at reorganization of the army at Corinth ; appointed Aid-de-Camp to Gen. Vaughan ; painfully wounded at Shiloh ; died in service.

It is but just that I should mention the name of S. L. Ross, a citizen of Henderson County, who fought gallantly and was slightly wounded.

Herewith I submit a list of the names of the killed and wounded. Very respectfully, A. J. VAUGHAN, JR., Colonel Thirteenth Regiment.

No comments: