Friday, December 26, 2014

Herbert D. Heavitt.

Rhode Island Fourteenth Heavy Artillery, Regimental History. 

Push to enlarge.
Page 193., Herbert D. Leavitt. Enrolled as private in Co. E, Fifth Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, Nov. 1, 1861 ; mustered Dec. 16, 1861 ; promoted sergeant and transferred to Co. H, Jan. 10, 1863; first sergeant Feb. 11, 1863; borne on detached service at draft rendezvous. New Haven, Conn., from Aug. 14, 1S63, until Dec, 1863; commissioned second lieutenant Fourteenth Rhode Island Heavy Artillery Dec. 14, 1863; assigned to Co. K; mustered in Dec. 22, 1863; transferred to Co. E, Jan. 19, 1864; detached as acting aid-de-camp on staff of Maj.- Gen. Stephen A. Hurlburt, Oct. 22, 1864, and so borne until Jan., 1865: on board of survey Feb. 10, 1865 ; mustered out Oct. 2, 1865. 

Page 323., Second Lieutenant Herbert D. Leavitt was born In Mass., April 5, 1845. At the breaking out of the Rebellion : he was living with his  parents in Providence, R, I. lie enlisted as a private in Company E., Fifth Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, Nov. 1, 1861.  He was subsequently promoted to sergeant, and afterwards to first Sergeant:transferred to Company II, Jan. 10, 1863. He participated with his regiment in the battles of Roanoke Island, New Berne, siege of Fort Macon, Rahl's Mill, Kinston, Whitehall, Goldsborn, siege of Little Washington and first rebel attack on New Berne.

He was borne on detached service in Rhode Island and Connecticut, from Aug. 14,1863 until December, 1863.  His service consisted in guarding substitutes and draft, men at Fair Haven, Conn., and he was thus 1863, when, having passed a satisfactory examination before the Board of examiners  at Washington, D. C, he was honorably discharged from the Fifth to accept a commission as second lieutenant in the Four Rhode Island Heavy Artillery, and was assigned to Company E. He was mustered in Dec. 22, 1863.

He served with his regiment in the Department of the Gulf. From Oct. 22, 1864, until January, 1865, he was borne on detached service as aid-de-camp on the staff of Maj.-Gen.,Stephen A. Hurlburt. He was mustered out with his regiment Oct. 2, 1865. Soon after his return to Rhode Island he was appointed upon the police force of the city of Providence, but remained in that position but a short time.

He was for several years in the employ of the Union Railroad Company, and was subsequently engaged in business in Franklin. He then removed to Medway, Mass., and engaged in the market business. He afterwards became connected with the same line of business In Boston  in Faneuil Hall Square, where he continued until failing health compelled him to relinquish an active part in business affairs. He was a member of  U. S. Grant Post, Grand Army of the Republic, and  Wyoming Lodge, A. F. and A. M. He died Jan. 2-, 1893.

No comments: