Sunday, September 06, 2009

Taken Prisoner, Civil War.

There will be some additional information on some of these men. If you see a name of interests and would like to know if there is more information on a name, you can write me and I will help you all I can. My address can be found in my profile.

Important note. I have thousands of names at this site, when asking about a name from this page or any other pages at this site, please give the ( Title of the page ), for without it I may not be able to help you.
---------------------------------------

1. Lieutenant J. Guerard Heyward, company I., South Carolina Artillery. wounded and taken prisoner.

2. Captain Wilbur W. Smith, of Company C, of the 20th., Connecticut infantry, is supposed to have been wounded and taken prisoner.

3. Captain Henry C. Pardee, of Company F, of the 20th., Connecticut infantry, is supposed to have been taken prisoner.

4. Asst. Surg. Daniel Lee Jewett of the 20th., Connecticut infantry, was taken prisoner.

5. Lieutenant Colonel John R. Towers of the 8th., Georgia infantry company E., was taken prisoner

6. Lieutenant Charles M. Harper, of the 8th., Georgia infantry, company E., was taken prisoner.
Read his war story in his own words, http://home.earthlink.net/~larsrbl/harpercmrem.htm

7. Robert Craig, a private of the Fifth Missouri Cavalry, taken prisoner.

8. Testimony of Hardin Cason, Company A, Sixth U. S. Heavy Artillery:
I do hereby certify that I was in the engagement at Fort Pillow, Tenn., on the 12th day of April, A. D. 1864, and that I was wounded during the battle and then taken prisoner. I also certify that on the following morning (being on the morning of the 13th of April A. D. 1864) I saw Corpl. Robert Winston murdered by a rebel soldier, Corporal Winston having been previously wounded during the progress the of battle on the 12th. I also certify that I saw several other men shot who had been taken prisoners, their names not being known to me.

9. Testimony of Corpl. Eli Cothel, Company B, Sixth U. S. Heavy Artillery:
I do hereby certify that I was wounded during the engagement at Fort Pillow, Tenn., on the 12th day of April, A. D. 1864. I was shot through the arm while thus a prisoner to the rebel forces. I saw 17 men thus shot, not knowing their names, after first being taken prisoners.
Mound City, Ill., April 23, 1864.

10. I JAS. R. BINGHAM, was taken prisoner at fort pillow and when marching with other prisoners, black and white, I saw the Confederates shoot and kill and wounded both white and black Federal prisoners. Some negroes were severely beaten, but still able to go along. We were taken a few miles into the country, when myself and few others got relieved by General McCulloch, on the ground of being private citizens.

11. At the battle of Pea Ridge, in Benton County, Arkansas, on the 7th and 8th of March last, between the forces of the Confederate States and the United States,
Captain Richard Fields, Surg.
James P. Evans, Hospital Steward.
W. N. Evans.
Private James Pidey, members of the regiment of Cherokee Mounted Rifles, commanded by Colonel John Drew, and William Reese, a member of the regiment of Cherokee Mounted Rifles, commanded by Colonel Stand Watie, were taken prisoners by the United States.

12. Sergeant, Andrew Unkle, of the 72d., Ohio infantry Companies H. E. A., is missing, and thought to be a prisoners.

13. Sergeant, Philip Fertiz, of the 72d., Ohio infantry is missing, and thought to be a prisoners.

14. First Lieutenant J. L. Hallett, of the Signal Corps taken prisoner.

15. Second Lieutenant George R. Herbert, of the Signal Corps, taken prisoners.

16. Charles H. Marsh, I am a private in the First Battalion Connecticut Cavalry Co. D., On the 7th of October last I was with my battalion encamped near Countervail. Pickets at night patrolled within two miles and a half of Gainesville. Twice a day a patrol was sent to Thoroughfare Gap to reconnoiter. On the 7th of October in the afternoon I was sent there. I was returning and when near Haymarket I was surprised by a party of the Twelfth Virginia Cavalry and taken prisoner. When taken I was within the Federal lines and as near as I can judge forty miles-at least that was the distance I had to travel before I reached the Confederate lines. I have been held since the 12th of October in this prison. Am I not a prisoner of war? And if so why should I not be exchanged? Does my case not come under the cartel? I a here without friends or money. True I am a poor private and that must be the reason I am overlooked. I am confined with all classes of criminals. I respectfully solicit an inquiry into my case.

17. Charles Fairfax Revaleon and Charles Gerrish Amons, were citizens of Massachusetts and were engaged in the military service of the United States as servants to the colonel and staff of the Forty-second Regiment Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry.

18. Jeremiah Murray, of Company K, Twenty-third Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry taken prisoner at Shiloh, this was his second time taken prisoner.

19. William Baker of Company K, Twenty-third Regiment Missouri Volunteer Infantry taken prisoner at Shiloh, this was his second time taken prisoner.

20. Captain James W. Hinton, of the Eighth Regiment North Carolina Troops.

21. John Downey, Captain Company D, Eleventh New York Volunteers.

22. Albert G. Hudgins, midshipman, were taken prisoners by the enemy whilst in charge of prizes captured by the sloop Sumter, to which they were attached.

23. William A. Hicks, midshipman, were taken prisoners by the enemy whilst in charge of prizes captured by the sloop Sumter, to which they were attached.

24. Captain Francis J. Keffer, Company H, First California Regiment, was taken prisoner at Ball's Bluff battle, October 21?

25. Captain James Taggart, Company B, Fifth regiment.
Captain Thomas Chamberlain, Company D.
Captain John McCleery, Company H.
Lieutenant Riddle, Company F.
Lieutenant McFadden, Company D.
Lieutenant Hildebrand, Company G, all whom were severely wounded and missing probably taken prisoners.

26. First Lieutenant Philip Dwyer, regimental commissary Fifth U. S. Cavalry, wounded and taken prisoner.

27. Testimony of Ransom Anderson (colored), private in Company B, Sixth, U. S. Heavy Artillery of Fort Pillow: I do hereby certify that I am a member of Company B, Sixth U. S. Heavy Artillery, and that I was in the battle of Fort Pillow on the 12th day of April, A. d. 1864, and that I was severely wounded during the progress of the engagement. When the surrender occurred I was taken prisoner. I also certify that while a prisoner and wounded I was further wounded by being cut in the head and hands by one Lieutenant Williams, C. S. Army. I also certify that I saw John Pritchard, of Company B, Sixth U. S. Heavy Artillery, shot while a prisoner and while lying by my side upon the ground. I also certify that I saw Coolie Pride, of the same regiment and the same company, stabbed by a rebel soldier with a bayonet and the and the bayonet broken off in his body, after the said Coolie Pride had been taken prisoner by the Confederates. On the morning of the 13th day of April, A. D. 1864, after he had been taken prisoner, I saw Daniel Lester shot dead by a rebel soldier.

28. Report of Captain George W. Overmyer, Eighty-first Ohio Infantry.

HDQRS. DETACHMENT EIGHTY-FIRST OHIO VOL. INFANTRY., Sam. Mills', February 2, 1864.

SIR: On the 28th January, 1864. I sent out a forage train for corn and pork, in charge of Corporal Casey, acting wagon-master, with instructions to keep the teams and men close together, permit no straggling, and go to Mr. Dabney's farm, about 4 miles from camp and on the left of the Cornesville pike. About 2 miles from camp the train was fired upon and captured, with the following loss: James Mills, team master, shot through the thigh and left on the field; 6 mules and harness taken away and wagon burnt; William Kimble, teamster, shot in left shoulder, taken prisoner; 6 mules and harness taken away, wagon filled with rails and fired, but was put out by citizens; Corporal Casey and 1 horse, saddle, and bridle captured; David Reece and William Reece, guards from Company K, Eighty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry; Nelson Shappell, James D. Smith, John Reichelderfer, and Jeremiah Parker, guards, Company G, Eighty-first Ohio Volunteer Infantry, captured and taken prisoners.

29. Captain Henry Hescock, of battery G, First Missouri Light Artillery.

30. Lieutenant John Miller, of battery G, First Missouri Light Artillery.

31. Captain George N. Reichard, of Company C, was wounded in the shoulder while holding the road, and afterward taken prisoner.

32. Captain William A. Tubbs, of 143d., Pennsylvania infantry Co. F., slight wound in head and taken prisoner.

33. Lieutenant H. M. Gordon, of 143d., Pennsylvania infantry Co. F., shot through the leg, and taken prisoner.

34. First Lieutenant A. Wilson Norris, of the 107th., Pennsylvania infantry Company D, was taken prisoner.

35. Second Lieutenant John F. Williams, of the 107th., Pennsylvania infantry Company E, was taken prisoner.

36. First Sergeant. Edward H. Green, Company E, was taken prisoner.

37. Lieutenant J. D. Devin, Ninth Infantry, assistant quartermaster, U. S. Army, and to Mr. A. W. Clarke, a correspondent of the New York Herald, for valuable services rendered me as volunteer aides, and who were both taken prisoners in the discharge of their duties.

38. Lieutenant W. H. Herbert, of the Seventieth Ohio Volunteer was taken prisoner.

39. Lieutenant Colonel Frank J. Herron, Ninth Iowa, had his horse shot under him, was wounded, and taken prisoner.

40. Lieutenant Issac N. Earl, Fourth Wisconsin Cavalry, who was wounded and taken prisoner. Photo of him: http://www.hughesfamilies.com/fourth/images/issacnearl.jpg

41. Major George W. Stought, taken prisoner at the battle of Chickamauga, and died in Libby Prison.

42. Lieutenant Colonel Thomas Johnson's battalion Kentucky Mounted Rifles, raken prisoner.

43. Sergt. Patrick Kane First Louisiana, Company B.

44. Corpl. Edward C. Smith, First Louisiana, Company B.

45. Sergt. George L. Williams, First Lousiana, Company E.

46. Private William Stanley, First Louisiana, Company B.

47. Private Daniel Doyle, First Lousiana, Company D.

48. Private Abraham McLane, Twenty-third Louisiana Volunteers (Allen Guards).

49. Lieutenant David V. Auxier, Thirty-ninth Regiment Kentucky Volunteers Co. A.

50. Lieutenant Isaac Goble, Thirty-ninth Regiment Kentucky Volunteers Co. A..

51. JOHN W. HOWE, citizen of Johnson County, Ky.

52. Forage Master Thomas W. Bass, of First Tennessee Partisan Rangers, C. S. Army, taken as prisoner.

53. Asst. Surg. John B. Scarborough, of First Tennessee Partisan Rangers, C. S. Army, taken as prisoner.

54. Lieutenant Clayton W. Carnes, of the 21st., Texas cavalry Co. L., taken prisoner.

55. Robert Craig, a private of the Fifth Missouri Cavalry, taken prisoner.

56. Private John S. Ritchie, of the 94th., Ohio infantry, Company G. February 16, near Lexington, S. C.,

57. James D. Treadway, of the 94th Ohio infantry, Company D. taken prisoner.

58. Privates George W. Bumgardner, forager, of the 94th Ohio infantry, Company G.

59. Joseph Waltman, forager, of the 94th Ohio infantry, Company G.

60. James D. Treadway, of the 94th Ohio infantry, Company D.

No comments: