Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Virginia Militia in the Revolution.

This information was put down just as it was found on the original document, and there are many misspellings. I have put down just a few names out of thousands. There are only twenty names here, but the information is very long. Even though the list is short the information is very interesting. You well read about battles with the British, Indians and ships. These men talk about many of the men they serviced with and the minute men which many of these men were.

Virginia Militia in the Revolution.

1. BOWLING, JAMES, SR.— Amherst, Aug. 20, 1832. Born 1752. Enlisted fall of 1775, under Capt. William Fontaine, serving- in Second Virginia, under Col. Woodford, Lt. Col. Charles Scott, and Maj. Hardiman, John Marx being First Lt., Thomas Hughes, Second. Lt., and one Robertson, Ensign. Served one year, campaigning about: Norfolk at the close of 1775. Was in the battle at Great Bridge about December 9th, where the enemy lost a brave officer, named Ford.vce. The British were driven out of Norfolk to their ships, but their fleet cannonaded and burned the town. The American force remained some time at Norfolk, and on leaving it burned what was "left. The return was by the same route, but the command remained some time in Suffolk because of sickness. Was discharged near Williamsburg. Served under Capt. Philip Thurmond as guard over the British prisoners in Albemarle Barracks; also as guard over paroled prisoners at Amherst C. H. Just before the capture of Cornwallis, he was on a tour under Col. Meriwether, the three services occupying about six months.

2. BECK, JESSE.— Amherst, Aug. 21, 1832. Born in Albemarle, 1758. Prior to March, 1781, performed two terms of three months each in the Albemarle militia, guarding British prisoners. Was under Captain James Garland, who was killed by a sentinel at Albemarle Barracks. Was also under Capt. Hunton, or Capt. Montgomery. Col. Taylor, of Orange, was in charge. About March 1, 1781, under a draft of every fourteenth militiaman for 18 months, he became sergeant under Capt. Benjamin Harrison. The company made ren- dezvous in Hanover, where it was attached to the regiment under Col. Paddy and Maj. Finley. At Yorktown he saw the army of Cornwallis ground their arms. The regiment went into winter quarters at Old Cumberland C. H. In February, 1782, the corps was ordered into Southern Service and was in Georgia under Gen. Wayne, till November. Was discharged at Old Cumberland C. H., in December, 1782, after nearly 21 months' service instead of eighteen. Remembers that when drafted each man was paid a bounty of $4,000, which by reason of depreciation was of little value. While in Georgia the army under Wayne watched Savannah, where the British were waiting transports to carry them home. Wayne's head- quarters and his own encampment were at Mulberry Grove, the property of a tory, which, after confiscation, was purchased by Gen. Wavne.

3. BRADSHAW, JOHN.— Pocahontas, Sept. 4, and May 7, 1833. Born, 1758. Went out in January, 1781, under Capt. Thomas Hicklin, Lt. Joseph Gwin, Ensign Thomas Wright in regiment of Col. Sampson Mathews. Was at Camp Carson near Portsmouth most of the winter. Discharged at Murdock's Mill, April 9, 1781. Was in one engagement within sight of Portsmouth, where Capt. Cunningham, of Rockbridge, was wounded in the groin, and one pri- vate also wounded. Declarant was sergeant. Later, same year, was drafted for the Yorktown compaign, marching under Capt. Thomas Hicklin, and- Col. Samuel Vance. After the surrender of Cornwallis he helped guard the prisoners to Winchester. Had served as Indian spy in the years 1776 to 1779 inclusive. Such services were not needed in the winter, as the Indians then kept in their quarters. The practice was for two men to leave Fort Cook, Monroe County, and be out three or four days each week, others taking their places on the return. They watched the gaps and low places in the moun- tains for thirty miles, to a point where they met the spies from Burn- sides' fort. They were strictly forbidden to make a fire, no matter how inclement the weather. Died Jan. 6, 1835.

4. CUNNINGHAM, JOHN.— Prince Edward, Aug. 21, 1832. Born, 1758. Enlisted May, 1776, in Militia company under Capt. Chas. Allen, Lt. Joseph Parks, and Ensign James Allen. Marched by Manchester, Williamsburg, and Yorktown to Hampton, where he was stationed under Col. Meredith and Maj. James. Discharged at Portsmouth after term of seven and one-half months. In May, 1779, volunteered under Capt. John Holcomb, serving about three weeks at Petersburg. In September, 1780, volunteered in Capt. Charles Allen's company of First Regiment, and after three months was given an honorable discharge. Was stationed at Petersburg under Col. E. Meade and Beverly Randolph. Early in 1781 volunteered under Capt. Andrew Baker, Lt. Joseph Parks, and Ensign Joseph Read, and joined Gen. Greene near the Dan river, where the company was at- tached to the regiment under Col. Otho H. Williams. Marched toward Hillsboro. In a skirmish at Whitsell's Mill about March 6, our troops gave back, Lt. Parks and private Ezekiel Parks being wounded. Company was discharged after one month. In May, 1781, volun- teered under Capt. Richard Hilland, and served two or three weeks, being employed in conducting British prisoners from Prince Edward C. H. to Albemarle Barracks. Has always lived in Prince Edward.

5. CASHWILL, WILLIAM.— Amherst, Sept. 17, 1832. Born in Amherst, 1762. Went out in militia February, 1779, under Capt. David Woodruf, and guarded prisoners at Albemarle Barracks three months. Volunteered, September, 1780, under Capt. John Morrison of a rifle company, and was stationed at Long Dairy, three miles out of Petersburg. There were present about 1,500 men under Gen. Steuben, and Gen. Lawson. February, 1781, he went out under Capt. James Franklin to join the army of Greene in North Carolina, but did not arrive in time for the battle of Guilford. They were near enough to hear the cannon and he thinks if the officers had pushed forward they might have been in time. Franklin resigned the day after the battle and went home. The company was then put under Capt. Younger Landrum. Col. John Holcomb's regiment, Gen. Lawson's brigade. Was discharged at Deep River after three months' service. Total service, twelve months, three in each of four tours. Last tour began in September, 1781, under Capt. John Stew- art. Was at siege of Yorktown and marched as guard to the prisoners to Winchester barracks, where he was discharged.

6. CANTERBURY, JOHN.— Monroe, Jan. 19, 183-. Born in Prince William about 1761. Volunteered for one month in Mont- gomery to guard the frontier at Clinch River. Was at Blackmore Station on Clinch. Voluntered one month to guard the frontier on Bluestone river. Received no pay for either tour. Moved to Holston river, where he substituted three months for Samuel Douglas, and served at Logan's Station, Ky. Volunteered under Capt. Joseph Martin against the Indians. The troops marched across the French Broad to the Indian tow^ns and were in several small skirmishes, but no regular engagement. They killed some Indians and took some prisoners, but the Indians evacuated their towns. Substituted for three months for a David Renfrow, and marched under Col. Campbell to the Santee river, where he joined Gen. Marion's army, then in camp. In one scouting party they took about 80 prisoners, brought them into camp, and sent them to Camden. Army remained in camp till Cornwallis surrendered. Declarant settled in Monroe, about 1784.

7. DUPUY, JOHN.— Prince Edward, Aug. 13, 1832. Born Jan. 20, 1756. Enlisted June, 1776, as volunteer in State troops under Capt. Chas. Allen, Lt. Joseph Parks, Ensign James Allen, Col. Merriman being field officer and one Overton, Major or Adjutant. Marched from Prince Edward C. H. through Richmond and Wil- liamsburg to Hampton, where the army was stationed three or four months. Discharged at Portsmouth in Januar,v, 1777. In May or June of this year, under a draft on the young unmarried men of the State, requiring one year in the regular service, applicant hired a substitute named Estis, paying him $400. These troops marched north to join the army, and he knew nothing more of Estis. In 1778, during an alarm, and at which time applicant held a commission in his home company, he volunteered as a private under the above Charles Allen, and marched to Petersburg, the tour occupying a month or so. In January or February, 1781, he volunteered in his home County, Prince Edward, under Capt. John Bibb, himself being lieutenant. Bibb soon resigned and Nathaniel Cunningham was commissioned in his place. The company joined Gen. Greene at Irvin's Ferry, Halifax County, and was attached to Col. Cocke's regiment of Gen. Steuben's brigade. Was in the battle of Guilford. The second day afterward, applicant conveyed prisoners to Halifax C. H., Va., and delivered them to Nathaniel Hunt, stationed there to receive them. After this service, he returned home, according to order by Gen. Steuben, the tour lasting two or three months. Shortly after reaching home he was ordered to Halifax County to receive arms brought from Guilford battle field and convey them to Prince Edward C. H. In the same year, probably August, he was ordered to convey some wounded prisoners, sent from Guilford to Prince Edward C. H., and convey them to Gen. Lafayette, then at RufKn's Ferry, King William County. From this point he took them on to Jamestown and delivered them to a British ship, the whole service occupying about one month. According to recollection his commission as lieutenant was by Patrick Henry. Henry Dawson, a witness to the declaration, served with applicant in 1776.

8. DAVIDSON, GILES.— Amherst, Aug. 21, 1832. Born in Buckingham, 1762. Went out three months under Capt. William Dugrid at Albemarle Barracks, being substitute for Young Lee. He there enlisted under Capt. Garland Burnley for 12 months as guard to British prisoners. Later he volunteered under Capt. Francis Shelton, of Henry, who was raising a force to put down the tories, then causing alarm in the hollows of Dan River, on the North Carolina line. Shelton's men visited persons known to be disaffected to the American cause and prevented injuries from tories. The head- quarters was with a tory named McGbwan, who lived in Henry. In 1781 he w'ent out from Buckingham for three months under Capt. William Perkins, and was in the battles of Hot Water and James- town. He was at once called out again under Capt. Silas Watkins, who before Yorktown resigned and was succeeded by Capt. William Giles. Was present at Surrender of Cornwallis and helped to guard the prisoners to the Winchester Barracks, where he was discharged about Dec. 1. 1781.

9. EAST, JAMES.— Rockbridge, Sept. 3, 1832. Born in Gooch- land, Aug., 1753. Entered service in Fluvanna in August, 1777, going out for three months under Capt. Joseph Hayden and Lt. Benjamin Anderson. Served under same officers in 1779 for three months at Williamsburg, Yorktown, and Hampton. On both tours Col. Samuel Cabell and Maj. George Thompson were field officers. Enrolled, January, 1781, and retained in County as maker of gun- stocks, so continuing till the capture of Cornwallis, never understand- ing this service to be of private nature, and never being compensated therefor. Enlisted 1775 under Capt. Thomas Holt constantly em- ployed with him in recruiting service for four months, then, because of the dissatisfaction of his parents, procuring James Burnley as a substitute. Also performed an irregular service of two months in 1779, guarding prisoners, especially Hessians, at Charlottesville. His Captain was Samuel Richardson, his lieutenant (probably), Thomas Thurman. Left Fluvanna, 1792.

10. GRANT, ROBERT.— Amherst, Aug. 22, 1832. Born, 1761. Served three tours of two months each as drafted militiaman. About 1780 he marched from Fluvanna under Capt. Levi Thompson and Lt. Henry Martin to Cabin Point and put under Col. Holt Rich- ardson. About a year later he went out under Capt. Anthony Haden, and Lt. Daniel Lightfoot, being again under Richardson, whose duty was to watch Hanover, Orange, and other counties. This was the time when Tarleton made his raid to Point of Fork and Charlottesville. The third time he went to the siege of York- town under Capt. Richard Napper, Lt. Zachariah King, and Ensign James Cole. His command was stationed on the Gloucester side of York River, under Col. Taylor and Maj. Campbell, to keep the enemy from escaping. The French fleet was lying off York River. He returned before the surrender. His companions were made no allowance for time spent in going into or returning from service. They were discharged en masse by their immediate company officers.

11. GREEN, WILLIAM.— Bath, Sept. 11, 1832. Born, 1755. Drafted three months in September, 1776, as guard against Indians in Warwick's Fort, under Capt. John Lewis. In May, 1777, John Wilson applied to Col. John Dickenson for six men as a guard at his own fort on Jackson River. Declarant was drafted as one of these, serving three months. In September, 1777, drafted for three months under Capt. Samuel Vance at Clover Lick Fort. In 1778, drafted for four months against the Indians, serving on Jackson's River. Marched to Fort Mcintosh on Ohio at Mouth of Big Beaver Creek, being under Capt. Samuel McCutcheon, of Gen. Mcintosh's command. Was in no engagement. 1780, drafted for three months' tour under Capt. John McCoy. Marched to Richmond, remaining there eight or ten daj^s, and was discharged after 24 days' service. 1781, drafted and served 34 days under Capt. David Gwin. Joined army at Hickory Neck Church near Williamsburg. In May, 1782, drafted for three months, serving under Capt. George Poage, at Warwick's Fort.

12. GARTIN, NATHANIEL.— Monroe, Feb. 17, 1834. Born, 1759, in Orange. Moved to Rockingham, 1768. Entered service, 1777, as Indian spy in January and February. Capt. Robert Craven and Lt. Trout commanding the company. Marched to Tygart's Valley. Three months at Warwick's Fort. Indians had committed many depredations, and declarant was constantly examining the ways by which the Indians came into the settlements, so that he could give intelligence at the fort. No engagement. He and others pursued Indians, sometimes marching 40 or 50 miles a day and suffering extremely for want of provisions. A year later, the Indians still doing much injury in Tygart's Valley, he went out under Lt. John Rice, for three months. A year later still, marched 200 miles undei Capt. William Kinkead to Nutter's Fort on West Fork of Monongahela, and served three months guarding farmers while at work in their fields. Settled in Monroe. In spring of 1781, having learned that the family of James Meeks on Indian creek, had been captured bv Indians, he went to Lavertv's fort on said creek as a volunteer, remaining three weeks reconnoitering between the moviths o{ the Bluestone and Indian Creek, and protecting the farmers while planting their corn.

13. HOGG, JOHN, Albemarle, Oct. 16, 1832. Born in Hanover, Sept. 15, 1763. About Jan. 6, 1781, he marched in the militia company of Capt. John Harris, Lt. Ralph Thomas, Lt. Thomas Jones, and Ensign William Jarman to Richmond, where they drew arms, and proceeded to the Halfway House, between Williamsburg and Yorktown. There they were stationed some time. Was dis- charged at Richmond, returning home about March 22. May 4, same year, marched under Capt. Nicholas Hammer and Ensign Charles Hudson to Albemarle Barracks, and then to the vicinity of Richmond to join Gen. Lafayette. After this the army made the "Wild Goose Chase," toward Fredericksburg and to the Raccoon Ford on the Rapidan, where Gen. Wayne joined the army. Then the march was through Orange and Louisa to Watson's Old Fields, where declarant was transferred to a company of light infantry under Capt. Woodford, Lt. Ruf^in, and Ensign Bacon, of Muhlenberg's com- mand. Near Richmond there was a skirmish* with the enemy's light horse. The British were followed to Jamestown, where there was a smart skirmish from one o'clock till after sunset. He then marched with Muhlenberg's, Wagner's, and Campbell's brigades, to Goode's bridge on the Appomatox, where he was discharged July 24. A few days after his return home he was called out on duty at Charlottesville, until after surrender of Cornwallis. The minute men were compelled to be in place under penalty of serving six months. Applicant was drafted each time.

14. HARRISON, RICHARD.— Albemarle, Oct. 13, 1832. Born in Goochland, Sept. 10, 1757. Moved to Caswell County, N. C, 1775. March, 1776, volunteered against the tories who rose to protect their governor. His officers, Col. Saxton ( ?), Maj. William Moore, Capt. Adam Saunders. At Hillsboro troops were organized and then marched to Cross Creek, where there was news of the defeat of the tories by Col. Caswell, at Long Bridge. Discharged after five or six weeks. About December 1, 1776, marched from Pittsylvania County, Va., to Georgia under Capt. John Dooley and Lt. Boswell Smith. In Georgia, Capt. Thomas Dooley was killed bv an Indian. Declarant was now in Continental service for 18 months, but then attached to no regiment. Next Captain was Bos- well Smith. The troops in the two companies that marched to Georgia were promised a bounty of 200 acres, which he never re- ceived. All he did get was $8 in money. Discharged in Wilkes County, Ga., spring of 1778 and came home. Spring of 1781 was drafted from Pittsylvania, and marched to siege of Fort Ninety- Six, under Capt. James Turner. After Gen. Greene raised this siege he was in camp at the high hills of Santee, where his time expired, and he was sent back to Virginia in charge of prisoners. This service was for three months, eighteen days. In September, 1781, he went to the siege of Yorktown as substitute for his employer, John Lewis. Fleming Bates was captain. After surrender of Cornwallis he conveyed prisoners to Noland's Ferry on the Potomac. Was there discharged. Moved to Albemarle, 1784.

15. FRANKLIN, JAMES.— Will made, March 11, 1813. Recorded in Amherst, August, 13, 1813. Gives his wife eleven negroes and his plantation on south side Rutledge Creek. Mentions Nancy C, Sarah W., and Betsy H. Franklin (daughters), and Jeremiah Franklin, bequeathing various property to the daughters, including a mill.

16. MORGAN, BENJAMIN.— Monroe, Nov. 19, 1832. Born at Philadelphia, Pa., 1761. Moved to Berkeley Co., Va., in boyhood. In 1778 (1779?), was drafted in the summer for three months under Capt. David Kennedy, of the packhorse service to Fort Mcintosh, Col. Murray commanding at that post. Except for the last three weeks, helped to complete Fort Lawrence on Tuscarora River, seventy miles beyond Fort Mcintosh. Discharged at the latter place. He saw Lt. Parks lying in a path after being killed by Indians. Volunteered about May 1, 1781, for three months under Capt. Edward Davis, marched by Fauquier C. H. and Fredericksburg to a point 40 miles below Williamsburg, where he joined his battalion, and then under Col. Darke and Gen. Lincoln toward North Carolina. Before getting that far the men were turned back to Yorktown and discharged. Was in no battle. Near Yorktown was pursued by a scouting party of British light horse, and in getting over a post and rail fence was cut in the shoulder. Drafted same year three months under Capt. John Hart and was at siege of Yorktown. Was of the guard for the portion of prisoners sent to Frederick, Md. Discharged about Christmas. Married Ann , 1784. Died Feb. 24, 1836.

17. PETERS, CHRISTIAN.— Monroe, Sept. 17, 1832. Born 1761. Drafted in Rockingham about June 1, 1779, to go to North Fork of South Branch of Potomac against the Indians, marching under Capt. Robert Craven. While stationed there the Captain received a commission to raise a company under a proclamation of the governor of South Carolina, offering 1,000 pounds of tobacco ($33.33) to each volunteer. Applicant accepted the position of cor- poral under said offer. With four others he returned with Capt. Craven to Rockingham, after being out about two months. The company was soon raised and started south about Sept. 1. At Hillsboro they lay two weeks waiting for other troops. They marched thence under Gen. Stevens to Cheraw Mills where they join- ed the army under Gen. Greene. A detachment was sent out to sur- prise some tories at the Black Swamp. The tories dispersed, but fourteen prisoners were taken. Part of the detachment was sent back with the prisoners, the other part marching to Georgetow^n, where twenty-eight prisoners and some supplies were taken. Another guard was sent off with the new prisoners, the rest of the force joining Gen. Morgan about 36 hours before the battle of the Cowpens. In the night the army moved about half a mile to the place chosen for a fight. Men were left to keep up the fires till daylight. The battle began about sunrise. Declarant was in the riflemen, on the right of the army, and in the third company from the right. They had the pleasure of taking 600 prisoners. Then the army moved back before Cornwallis' army to Salisbury, where declarant's company was detailed on the guard to convey the prisoners to Virginia. By the time the army was fairly across the Yadkin, the advance of the British were on the other bank, but as the river was rising fast, they could not cross. The company's baggage wagon was lost, not being taken along. At Pittsylvania C. H. they delivered their prisoners to the militia of that county and were discharged in Rock- ingham in April. Declarant sold his bounty as part pay for a horse. In June, 1781, volunteered as sergeant under Capt. Jeremiah Beas- ley, and marched to Eastern Virginia, where command was attached to the regiment of Col. John Willis and Maj. Rucker, Gen. Campbell commanding the brigade. Declarant was in the battle of Hot Water, which lasted two hours and ten minutes, the Americans falling back to the shelter of Gen. Wayne's army. One man of the company was killed and fourteen wounded. In the battle of Jamestown, he was on the right, where there was little danger, but Gen. Wayne's regular troops suffered very much. Was out this time about four months, including a month, consumed in coming and going back. Total service, eleven months, in which he carried his own rifle, tomahawk, and butcher knife. Affidavit supported by John Dunn, a comrade.

18. ROBERTS, WILSON.— Albemarle, Oct. 12, 1832. Born irt Albemarle, May 13, 1762. Volunteered for eighteen months under Lt. Robert Jouett, and rendezvoused at Fredericksburg, April 25, 1779. The new recruits were there laid off into divisions and marched to Baltimore, his own under Capt. ( ?) Howard. Thev proceeded by water to the head of Elk, and the vessel running, aground, the command marched to the Blue Ball Tavern, thirteen miles from Philadelphia. Then they were ordered south, going by way of Fredericksburg to Petersburg, where the men w^ere laid off into regiments. Declarant was in the Third Regiment, commanded by Col. Abraham Buford, of Gen. Scott's brigade. The regiment marched south the middle of March, 1780. About this time two field pieces were wanted at Charleston, S. C, and declarant's com- pany volunteered to guard them. The regiment got within 25 miles of Charleston, which then, was under siege. There was then a retreat through Camden toward Salisbury. The day after leaving Camden they w^ere overtaken at Hanging Rock, otherwise the Waxhaw^ Settlement, by the British Light Horse and infantry under Tarleton. This according to recollection w^as May 29th, Buford was defeated and it was the general opinion that out of about 500 men not more than 25 got entirely away without harm. Declarant made his way to Salisbury, where a remnant gathered and proceeded to Chesterfield C. H., Va. The regiment was again made up, still under command of Buford, and sent to Hillsboro, N. C, where declarant was discharged. About September, 1781, he was drafted for two months in the militia, and marched under Capt. Robert Sharp, to Richmond. Thinks his colonel was one Richardson. Soon after arrival at Yorktown, Cornwallis surrendered, and he was ordered back to Richmond to guard some prisoners or refugees. He was there discharged by Capt. Falkner, the tour being of two or three months.

Will made Aug. 20, 1836, probated July 3, 1837. Mentions, of children : Martha D. Kerby, John W. Roberts, William R. Roberts: of grandchildren: Sarah E. and John W. Kerby. Executors: J. W. and W. K. Roberts and Fayette F. Kerby. Possessed land, negroes, bank stock.

19. SCOTT, WILLIAM.— Prince Edward, Sept. 17, 1832. Born in Ireland, Dec. 3, 1757. Enlisted 1775 or 1776 from Charlotte County for a term of one year in the militia. His company officers WTre Capt. Wm. Collier and Lt. Douglas Watson. Joined his regi- ment at Petersburg, commanded by Col. Ruffin and Maj. Glenn. The march was then by way of Williamsburg and Yorktown to Gwin's Island, where there was fighting several days with the British under Lord Dunmore. Several, he thinks seven, ships were de- stroyed after Dunmore was driven out. The enemy then went up the river, the army watching his movements. News arriving that the Indians were troublesome on the frontier, the regiment, which was armed with rifles, marched to Holston river. A few days before its arrival there had been a battle between the vanguard and the Indians. The main body of the army went in pursuit, his regi- ment, then commanded by Col. Morgan being stationed at Holston (Long) Island, where it remained until the time of service expired. He had no written discharge because of the unpopularity of Morgan. The day before the discharge w^as to take place, the soldiers were told they would be mustered for the purpose. Next morning some men who wished to show their dislike to the Colonel broke his sword near the hilt and shaved the mane and tail of his horse.

Morgan rode off in a rage without issuing regular discharges, but saving he would do so at New London, Bedford County. He did not meet the men there nor did they get any written discharge. In February, 1778, applicant was drafted in Charlotte for a term, he believes, of two years. He hired John Scott as a substitute, gave him 100 pounds, and got a discharge for himself from Thomas Reed, the same stating the services was from Feb. 10, 1778, to ]March 16, 1778. The last tour was in 1779, when he was drafted about Feb. 1st into Capt. William Morton's Company, and marched south. At Salisbury, N. C, the command was joined by other Virginia troops and marched through Charlotte and Camden to the main army under Gen Lincoln. While there an attempt was made to storm a British fort at Stono Ferry, but the attack was repulsed. His discharge is dated July 13, 1779, and is signed by Maj. William Hubbard, of the Virginia Brigade. Applicant came to America in 1763, and moved to Prince Edward about 1782.

20. TURNER, WILLIAM.— Amherst, Aug. 21, 1832. Born in Albemarle, 1760. Served three months at Albemarle Barracks un- der Capt. Philip Thurmond. While there Capt. James Garland was killed by a sentinel on duty. Later was three months at Rocketts, below Richmond under Capt. John Christian. Still later, and again as orderly sergeant, he went out under Capt. Younger Landrum on the Guilford campaign. The company, which was attached to Gen. Lawson's brigade, was not in the battle. The next tour was at the Siege of Yorktown, and under Capt. Benjamin Higgin- botham. He started as sergeant and on the way was commissioned ensign. However, a few days before the capitulation he, his captain, and others were discharged as supernumerary officers and ordered home.

No comments: