Friday, June 25, 2010

Samuel Edgerley And Family, New Hampshire.

Samuel Edgerley and family.

Samuel Edgerley, also spelled Edgerly, was born in the year of 1700, to one Thomas Edgerley and Jane Whidden also spelled Whedon, in the town of Exeter in the county of Rockingham New Hampshire. Samuel would marry Abigail Judkins, in 1725, at Exeter in the county of Rockingham New Hampshire. Abigail Judkins was born in the year of 1703, at Exeter in the county of Rockingham New Hampshire, to one Job Judkins and Elizabeth York. Samuel and Abigail would have the following children.

1. Samuel Edgerley, Birth: 1727 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 1751.

2. Thomas Edgerley, Birth: 10 SEP 1729 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 15 MAY 1814.

3. Jonathan Edgerley, Birth: 1731 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 25 DEC 1811.

4. John Edgerley, Birth: 1733 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 1739.

5. Alice or Elsey Edgerley, Birth: 1735 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 1780.

6. Benjamin Edgerly, Birth: 1739 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 17 JAN 1817.

7. Joseph Edgerley, Birth: 1739 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: 1777.

8. David Edgerley, Birth: 15 SEP 1741 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire
Death: 19 NOV 1785.

9. Mary Edgerley, Birth: About 1743 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: Unknown.

10. Abigail Edgerley, Birth: About 1745 Brentwood, Rockingham, New Hampshire.
Death: Unknown.

There is some confusion on the day that Samuel died all the records I have see give the date of April 25, 1769, however this is the date his ( Will ) was probated, it is hardly unlikely they would have probated his will on the day of is death. Samuel made out his will in 1768, a year before his death. Abigail death would come in the year of 1790, at Barnstead, Belknap, New Hampshire.

There also seem to be some confusion on Samuel’s father name, some records have it as Thomas Edgerley, Thomas Edgerly, Thomas Edgerly Jr., Thomas Edgerley Emigrant. And there is some confusion on the year on which Abigail Judkins was born in some records state the year of 1703, while others state 1704, and still other state 1707. However all the records are in agreement on the date of the marriage and the names and dates of the children.

SAMUEL EDGERLEY 1768 BRENTWOOD.

In the Name of God, Amen . I Samuel Edgerley of Brentwood in the Province of New Hampshire in New England Husbandman ; being weak of Body * * *

Item I give Divise and Bequeath to my Beloved wife Abigail Edgerley the use and improvement of my place Buildings Stock and moveables in doors and out During her Natural Life. Item I Give Devise and bequeath to my Son Joseph Edgerly his Heirs and assigns forever, after the Decease of my wife Abigail aforesd all my Lands and Buildings and all the Stock that my wife Shall leave at her Decease as also all my out Door moveables, he paying the following Legacies to his Brothers and Sisters. Item I Give to my Son Samuel Edgerley the Sum of Ten Shillings Lawful Money to be paid by my Executor in three months after the Decease of my Wife aforesd. Item I Give to My Son John Edgerley Five Shillings to be paid by My Executer in Three Years after My Decease Item I Give to my Son Thomas Edgerley Five Shillings to be paid by my Executor in one Year after the Decease of my wife aforesd

Item I give to my Son Jonathan Edgerley Five Shillings to be paid by my Executar in two Years after the Decease of my wife afore said

Item I Give to my Son Benjamin Edgerley Five Shillings to be paid by my Executer in Two Years after the Decease of my wife Item I Give to my Son David Edgerley Five Shillings to be paid by my Executor in three Years after the Decease of my wife aforesd .

Item I Give to my Daughter Abigail Judkins Ten Shillings to be paid by my Executer in three Years after the Decease of my wife aforesd .

Item I Give to my Daughter Mary Kelley Ten Shillings to be paid by my Executor in Three Years after the Decease of my wife aforesd.

Item I Give to my Daughter Alike Kimbel Ten Shillings to be paid by my Executer in Three Years after ye Decease of my wife aforesd. Moreover my will is that all ye before mentioned Legacies be paid in Lawful money.

Finally I do hereby Constitute Ordain and appoint my Trusty Son Joseph Edgerley to be Sole Executer to this my last Will and Testament hereby revoking all former Wills and Testaments by me Made Ratifying and Confirming this to be my last Will and Testament. In Witness whereof I Do here unto Set my hand and Seal this Nineteenth Day of July Anno Domini 1768 and in the Eighth Year of his Majestys Reign his Mark Samuel X Edgerley.

[Witnesses] Job Judkins, Eben Judkins, Nathanael Trask .
[Proved April 26, 1769 .]

[Inventory, July 6, 1769 ; amount, £56 . 3 . o ; signed by Samuel Dudley and Nicholas.

The following petition was signed by many of the men of the town Samuel Edgerley was one of the signers. This information gives a little insight into the live of Samuel.

Petition of Andrew Gilman and others about a meetinghouse, 1743.

To His Excellency Henning Wentworth Esq. Governour and Commander in Chief in and over His Majesties Province o f New Hampshire, and to the Hon''' 0 his Majesties Councill and Representatives In Generall Court assembled.

We the subscribers Freeholders and Inhabitants of the Northerly part of the Parish of Brintwood in the Province aforesaid Do Humbly Crave Leave of your Excellency and honours to Lay this our Humble Remonstrance of our Distressed Circumstances before your Excellency and honours as follows Viz :

Many of us Living four or five miles Distant from Exeter Meeting house have Attended the Publick Worship of God at that house for many years past with Great difficulty and our families Encreasing made it much more Difficult Especially in the Winter Spring & Fall of the year.

Wherefore about eight years ago we with several of the Southerly part of said Parish Erected a house for the Publick worship of God in the most suitable place as they thought, and we Now do think to carry on the Publick Worship in and accordingly at our own Charge have carry'd on the same in the winter, Spring and fall of the year ever since as we had for four years or thereabouts before Erecting said house carry'd on the Publick Worship in a Private house Standing near our Present Meeting house and about Last February was twelve month the Freeholders & Inhabitants of the Southerly part of Brintwood aforesaid Petitioned the Town of Exeter aforesaid to be set off as a Parish Contrary' to the will and Desire of most of us, and said Town of Exeter Granted their said Petition Not withstanding many of us Dissented there from . And their said Petition being granted they afterwards Apply 'd to your Excellency and honours for a Charter for said Parish which was Granted them Contrary to our Desire 'and Greatly to our hurt And we also having Earnestly Petitioned your Excellency & honours that we might he Permitted to Continue to Carry on the Publick worship of God in our said house and to be set off by such Boundaries as your Excellency & honours should think meet and be Exempted from all Charge towards the meeting house and ministry in the Southerly Part of said Parish &c as by our Petition Lying before your Excellency and Honours in your hone Court may appear which Petition the honb1e House of Representatives have seen meet to Dismiss.

And also your Excellency & honours having appointed a Committee of four Gentlemen two out of Each house to prefix the place where the meeting house ought to Stand-Three of said Gentlemen have been and made return, but is accounted voy'd by your Excellency & honours, For that the Committee Did not all joyn in their Returne and for which Reason our Petition was also Dismisst . wherefore our Case at Present seems very hard and Difficult we having been at such cost to Erect our said house and to Maintain Preaching in it hitherto, and the minister also who hath hitherto Preached to us being at our Earnest Desire willing to Continue with us in the Ministry. If your Excellency & honours will in your great wisdom take this our Remonstrance of our Difficult Circumstances in our Present meeting house not being Establish'd and our aforesaid Petition not being Granted and the great charges and Difficulties we hitherto have and Still do Labour under, under your Excellency and Honours wise consideration and be pleas'd to grant us Releif herein as in your great wisdom you shall see meet & As in Duty Bound we your Excellencies & honours Most Obedient, Humble Servants shall Ever Pray &c.
Dated at Brintwood June 27 th Anno Domini 1743 .

List of Rates, 1743.

The within is a List of the Rates of those that have Petitioned the Gen"' Court to Pole to a house in the Parish of Brintwood to settel a minister there by them selves. Whither they be able is to be Determined or whither Something Else is not Desired Which may Prove fatal. The Whole Sum money Raised in the Parish of Brintwood this year 1743 as it is sit Down in the Con& warrant £x87-8-10, Samuel Ederley amount 1-17-3.

No comments: