Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Charles W. Dick, Wisconsin..

CHARLES W. DICK, of Stockbridge,  Wis., and a member of G. A. R. Post No. 40, was born April 23, 1838, in Brothertown, Calumet Co., Wis. He is the son of Alexander G. and Samantha (Sickter) Dick and the former died in Kansas in 1864. His mother is still living in Brothertown and is 77 years old. Mr. Dick received a common school education and, when he was 14 years of age, he went to the far West and passed some years in traversing the Territories and Southern States, returning to Stockbridge in 1859.

Until 1861 he was interested in farming and lumbering and among the earliest to enroll in the military service of the United States after the war came on. April 27th., he enlisted in Company K, 4th Wisconsin Infantry at Stockbridge for three months in the State service and was afterwards sworn into the U. S. service, joining his command at Racine after re-enlisting for three years. He went with the regiment to Baltimore, passing through experiences while on the way which are of interest aud told in detail in many sketches on other pages.

He was in the marcli to the Eastern shore of Virginia and afterwards went to Fortress Monroe, whence he went with the regiment to Ship Island in the command of Butler. He was in the several movements up and down the Mississippi River in the attempts on Vicksburg and fought at Baton Rouge.

He was in the subsequent movements and took part in the battle of Bisland. He was in the battle of Clinton, La., and there received a bullet through his cap and blouse. He was also in the second assault on the same place and was camping in the vicinity when the fort surrendered. After the conversion of the regiment into cavalry Mr. Dick was in all its experiences and engaged in active skirmishing and scouting in Southern Louisiana. He re-enlisted Jan. 4, 1864, at Baton Rouge in the same company and regiment, and was in the reconnoissance to Clinton, La.

He was seized with jaundice while still an infantry soldier and passed three months in the hospital at Carrollton, La., and went afterwards to Charity and University hospitals at New Orleans. After recovery, he rejoined the regiment at Port Hudson, Jan. 14, 1863. He was with the regiment in all its later experiences and was mustered out at San Antonia, Texas, and discharged at New Orleans, Sept. 14, 1865.

In October he reached Stockbridge where he has since operated as a carpenter. He was married Aug. 30, 1S76, to Emogene Johnson of Stockbridge and their three children are named Lester LHysses, Horace Charles and Roy Alexander. Mr. Dick is a citizen who sustains the record he made as a soldier in his private life. He is a useful member of his Post and enjoys the respect of the community where he resides.

No comments: