Saturday, October 20, 2012

Samuel H. Tresonthick.

Push to enlarge.
Samuel H. Tresonthick

Birth: 1838 New York.
Death: Jul. 26, 1864.

Captain, Company E, 18th Pennsylvania Cavalry. Promoted to 1st Sergeant on October 8, 1862, to 2nd Lieutenant on December 8, 1862, and to Captain on May 1, 1864. Captured at Brandy Station, Virginia, on October 11, 1863. Listed as a prisoner in Richmond, Virginia in October 26, 1863 edition of the New York Times. Exchanged, and approved at Parole Camp, Annapolis, Maryland, on March 24, 1864. Returned to regiment. Wounded at St. Mary's Church, Virginia, on June 15, 1864. Left leg amputated by circular technique by surgeon A. P. Frick, 103d Pennsylvania. Wound contracted gangrene. Died from complications of amputation on July 26, 1864. Born about 1838 in New York. Lived in Kingston, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania before the war.

Burial:Body lost or destroyed. Specifically:
Burial Location Unknown.

Notes from the eighteenth Pennsylvania regimental history.

Again on the llth of October, near Brandy Station, in a sharp engagement Major Van Voorhis was wounded severely and together with Lieutenants James R. Weaver, S. H. Tresonthick, Harry Wilson and thirty-two men was captured. On the 19th of the same month, the command was engaged at Buckland Mills, when, after driving the enemy toward New Baltimore, it found itself surrounded by a superior force, but succeeded in cutting its way out with small loss of men, and Captain John Britton wounded.

At St. Mary s Church, f on the 15th of June, the regiment was hotly engaged with the enemy s infantry for nearly five hours, and only retired in obedience to the orders of the commanding general. The casualties in the engagement in killed, wounded and missing numbered thirty-three.  Captain Samuel   H. Tresonthick was mortally wounded and died in hospital.

Extract from letter of Lieut. S. T. JACKMAN, Company E,
August 29, 1902.
You ask were the rebels in the town of Hanover, Pa., on June 30, 1863. I say, yes sir. They were in there and some of our regiment were killed. Lieutenant Tresonthick was the only officer in the rear when we were attacked. I was with him, had been riding with him all afternoon.  I saw ladies almost carrying wounded soldiers into their houses. We couldn t keep them off the street. God bless the women. They were brave and good in that town

No comments: