Saturday, May 10, 2014

James "Jim" Patton Brownlow.

Push to enlarge.
James Patton Brownlow.

Birth: Dec. 17, 1842, Tennessee.
Death: Apr. 26, 1879, Knoxville, Knox County, Tennessee.

James was the son of William Ganaway Brownlow and Elizabeth Ann O'Brien.

James married Belle C. Cliffe, daughter of Dr. Daniel B. Cliffe, on 3 Oct 1865 in Wilson, [county], Tennessee.

Burial: Rest Haven Cemetery, Franklin, Williamson County, Tennessee.

He was promoted to Full Lt Colonel on 01 Aug 1862, and commissioned an officer in Company C, Tennessee 1st Cavalry Regiment on 01 Apr 1862. Promoted to Full Colonel on 15 Jun 1864. Promoted to Brevet Brig-General on 13 Mar 1865. Mustered out on 11 Apr 1865

From First Tennessee Cavalry Regimental History.

Page 37.  It was while the Fourth Tennessee lay at Camp Morgan and during the sharp and almost continuous picket fighting that Captain Brownlow, of Company C, began to develop such fine soldierly qualities that later on made him famous as a "fighter." The daily picket fighting gave him splendid opportunities and he soon won for himself a brilliant reputation as a brave and determined leader. When the regiment was organized at Flat Lick the office of lieutenant-colonel was left vacant, and up to this position James P. Brownlow, captain of Company C, the youngest captain in the regiment, was promoted.

He was the youngest son of Rev. W. G. Brownlow, of Knoxville, more familiarly known as Parson Brownlow, one of the leading Unionists of East Tennessee and editor and proprietor of Brownlow s Knoxville Whig. Captain Bro \vnlow was just nineteen years old when he was promoted to lieutenant-colonel of the Fourth Tennessee Volunteers. He was tall and well proportioned, with keen, penetrating, gray eyes. He was a soldier of fine ability, full of enterprise, energy and courage. He was never heard to say "Go, boys," but always, "Come on, boys !" Agreeable in his manners and accessible to all, he was strictly honorable in all of his dealings with men and the government.

Page 192-3.  Colonel Brownlow was ordered to move his regiment at once and occupy the hill to the right of our battery and to hold it at all hazards. The regiment was moved to the foot of the hill on the gallop. Here Colonel Brownlow dismounted his regiment and, forming it in line of battle, moved rapidly up the steep and rocky hill. The day was exceedingly hot, so by the time the summit was reached we were  almost exhausted. Wheeler moved his troops forward with equal promptness, so the contending forces met at the crest almost at the same moment.

The firing was severe and began at close range, and in a few minutes the hill was completely enveloped in smoke.  Almost at the first fire, Colonel Brownlow, while gallantly leading his men into the very ranks of the enemy, fell severely wounded, and was borne from the field amid a perfect tempest of bullets. A musket-ball passed through both of his legs, producing a very painful wound a wound that almost proved fatal. He was immediately carried to the rear, where his wounds were dressed, but almost bled to death before the surgeons reached him.

No comments: